Throwing Up Foamy Substance

Phillip56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 5 year old male cat that was just treated for asthma 3 weeks ago....The vet gave him a steroid shot and dewormed him....Now here it is 3 weeks later. He's stopped eating, when he goes to the litter box to poop nothing comes out....He has thrown up a foamy substance twice since last night. All his symptoms are the same as they were three weeks ago.....

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty isn't feeling well.

Is it throw-up or could he be coughing up liquid? It can look shockingly similar in cats!

If it really is throw-up, then clear liquid indicates your kitty has no food in his stomach. If this goes on for more than 48 hours it can lead to life threatening fatty liver disease. My kitty stopped eating for a couple days and had to be hospitalized. She went on an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea medicine (cerenia).

Also, if your cat is straining to use the litter box and nothing is coming out, it could be a blockage/constipation, which can cause nausea and a loss of appetite.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you to this site. Sounds to me like he needs to be rechecked by a vet as soon as possible. The steroid shot probably just temporarily alleviated whatever is going on with him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he eating at all? Is he peeing?

It's not unusual for kitties with upset tummies to throw up that white foamy liquid. It's possible that he picked up a urinary tract infection from the stress of going to the vet and being out of his normal living space. If he's constipated, that could make his tummy upset or he could be nauseous because there's nowhere for anything to go. Is he licking his lips a lot or drinking a ton of water? That would indicate nausea.

Having said all this, he definitely needs to get to a vet ASAP to get checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phillip56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we don't have a Vet thats open till Monday and there is no guarantee they can see him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No ER vets? Even if you would have to wait for a vet to be open, why would the ones who treated him before not see him as quickly as possible as a follow up with the same issues? Maybe we are missing some details?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi P Phillip56 and a very warm welcome to the forum !

I recommend you bring him directly to your Vet's first thing Monday morning, explain that he appears to be constipated since (whichever day) and has been vomiting.....and, insist that he be seen. Most clinics will accommodate these cases.

Meantime, there are many details missing here......is he urinating ?

You said he was treated "for asthma" three weeks ago....and..."All his symptoms are the same as they were three weeks ago". Well, not eating, straining in the litterbox and vomiting are NOT symptoms of/associated with asthma.

Now, those 3 symptoms, no hunger+straining+vomiting are symptoms of constipation, his poop has become too dry and hard to move through his intestines (and, that will only worsen with time).

Meantime, the more you can get him to drink, the better. If you feed dry food, stop it, get some canned and add a few teaspoonfuls of water to it.

We have a thread about 'tips to encourage a cat to drink'....perhaps FeebysOwner FeebysOwner knows where that is, I don't.

Keep us updated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As mentioned, make sure he is urinating. Male cats can have a urinary blockage where they cannot urinate and that is a big emergency, as they will die if not treated and it is very painful.
3 weeks ago, you said he saw the vet for asthma. Was he coughing and then spitting up white foam then? Do you know how the vet diagnosed the asthma? Was it with an X-ray?
Was he eating ok then?