Throwing Up - Can't Figure Out The Cause

vbcguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have an 8 year old rescue that has been my buddy for about 7 years. He throws up mostly in the mornings, but sometimes randomly on an empty stomach. Just clear liquid/bile is puked. Behaviour wise he seems pretty normal.

I have consulted two vets about this issue and there has been no solutions yet. He blood tests, including pancreatitis all come back normal. The second vet said that a very slight elevation on one test indicated a mild or slight allergy. But she doesn't think it has anything to do with his tummy issues.

I have also changed his diet under the supervision of the vet and it has not helped or,changed his condition. I have also tried feeding him just before bed. He is fed small amounts 3 to 4 times a day.

Any ideas?

Jacquelyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Charm had a sensitive stomach all his life. Threw up often and had very watery poop especially the last two years of his 14. Several vets tried to nail down the issue with no success. At the end the vet suggested exploratory surgery because he suspected cancer. This is what he found and it was so far gone and spread in him that I made the decision to euthanize him before he woke up from anesthesia. I can't help thinking that maybe an X-ray or ultra sound could have found the cancer before it got bad and I could have had it removed in time, but no vet ever suggested it until it was too late.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vbcguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that is very sad. I hate having a sick animal and feel so bad for him. Fortunately I have a very good new vet that I feel comfortable talking to about this issue. And I like your suggestion about getting a scan or X-ray to see if there is something going on. This is a new problem for him that started about 2 months ago and has been intermittent every since. Although seemly more regular this last week as he usually goes under my bed to vomit. :-(

Jacquelyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope you are able to treat him and he feels better!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be hairballs causing vomiting? Does he eat any dry food with a lot of fish in it? My cat Maggie seems to vomit if her dry food has a lot of fish in it. But you said it's just clear vomit, no food? If it was the food, you would think that there would be food in the vomit...