Throwing up after eating

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Raya cat goes through periods where she doesn't seem to eat much of her food, and will throw it up right after eating. I am not sure if she is gorging or the food is upsetting her stomach. I read where sometimes cats will get gastritis, but not sure what causes it. Maybe I should change her food. She is (well, both cats but Pandora doesn't have an issue) currently getting Royal Canin dry urinary food mixed with IAMS dry urinary food and every other day they get a can of Friskies shreds. I know that the Royal Canin urinary is just mostly filler, so maybe I should feed a good dry mixed with the IAMS urinary. Suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does Raya throw up after eating the wet food too, or just the dry? First, before changing food, you might try a slow feeder dish to see if it is related to eating too fast. Something even as simple as placing a golf ball in her dry food dish can help to slow a cat down. Also, try feeding her a lesser amount at one time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Raya throw up after eating the wet food too, or just the dry? First, before changing food, you might try a slow feeder dish to see if it is related to eating too fast. Something even as simple as placing a golf ball in her dry food dish can help to slow a cat down. Also, try feeding her a lesser amount at one time.
Just with the dry. She has a slow feeder. Doling out a little at a time now and she is still throwing up. Oy.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
graycie does that here and there its usually when i can expect a hairball soon from her
Speaking of hairballs, I haven't seen many lately, and she has been coughing, like she can't get the hair out of her throat. I give her some gel for it but she still coughs.

NoChicken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she doing?

My cat used to throw up after eating because of dental pain. It took us a long time to figure it out, partly because we assumed he just needed to get rid of a hairball. I hope this isn’t your cat’s issue, but it could explain why she throws up after harder dry foods and not wet foods. Dental care can be pricey, but it ended up saving my kitty’s life.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing?

My cat used to throw up after eating because of dental pain. It took us a long time to figure it out, partly because we assumed he just needed to get rid of a hairball. I hope this isn’t your cat’s issue, but it could explain why she throws up after harder dry foods and not wet foods. Dental care can be pricey, but it ended up saving my kitty’s life.
Yes, Raya did not tend to throw up soft food. I took her in for a dental but they found she has some heart issues and asthma, so they couldn't do the dental. Right now she is on a steroid and antibiotics. I changed the litter to one better for asthma and got some grain-free (fewer allergens) food to mix with her urinary food. Hopefully she will get better. I wonder if it was the corn based litter that caused it. Supposedly the corn, wheat and grass litter can cause allergic reactions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Raya did not tend to throw up soft food. I took her in for a dental but they found she has some heart issues and asthma, so they couldn't do the dental. Right now she is on a steroid and antibiotics. I changed the litter to one better for asthma and got some grain-free (fewer allergens) food to mix with her urinary food. Hopefully she will get better. I wonder if it was the corn based litter that caused it. Supposedly the corn, wheat and grass litter can cause allergic reactions.
We have an asthmatic cat, too. With treatment (she has a 2x daily inhaler, Flixotide/Flovent as well as 2x daily antihistamine cream in her ear for allergies) the vets say her lungs sound very good. We use Dr. Elsey's kitty litter, currently a combination of Respiratory Relief and Ultra. When Ireland first had coughing problems, seven or eight years ago, just switching the cats' litter from Fresh Step to Dr. E's kept Ireland from coughing for years. May switching litters help Raya's asthma, too.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have an asthmatic cat, too. With treatment (she has a 2x daily inhaler, Flixotide/Flovent as well as 2x daily antihistamine cream in her ear for allergies) the vets say her lungs sound very good. We use Dr. Elsey's kitty litter, currently a combination of Respiratory Relief and Ultra. When Ireland first had coughing problems, seven or eight years ago, just switching the cats' litter from Fresh Step to Dr. E's kept Ireland from coughing for years. May switching litters help Raya's asthma, too.
The antihistamine cream sounds useful. What's it called? I just bought some Dr. Elsey's and I think it was those two types. I have tried them in the past and like them. Since taking her home from the vet two days ago, she has not coughed once. Hope your kitty is doing well. Thanks!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antihistamine cream sounds useful. What's it called? I just bought some Dr. Elsey's and I think it was those two types. I have tried them in the past and like them. Since taking her home from the vet two days ago, she has not coughed once. Hope your kitty is doing well. Thanks!
It's chlorpheniramine cream. It comes in a little pen/dispenser. The vet mentioned antihistamine pills, too, which are much cheaper but the cream is easy to rub in her ears.

Dr. Elsey's works really well for Ireland and I'm glad to hear it seems to help Raya, too! It apparently doesn't work well for some cats (their people think it's too dusty...) but it's all I'll buy.

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is cool: I have 2 boxes for the 2 cats, and I replaced one with Dr. Elsey's. The other had the World's Best Cat Litter (corn based). They only used the box with Dr. Elsey's. I changed the 2nd box with Dr. Elsey's and they began using that box again too. I guess they like it.

Current condition: Only one cough and she easily takes her steroids and antibiotics mashed in a hairball gel. Love it!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current condition: Only one cough and she easily takes her steroids and antibiotics mashed in a hairball gel. Love it!
That's a great idea for giving meds! Here's hoping Dr. E's continues to help. And there's no more coughing!

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea for giving meds! Here's hoping Dr. E's continues to help. And there's no more coughing!
Things seem to be going well. Changing to grain-free dry and canned food. She is usually so-so about her canned food, but she was crying for more of this new kind, Performatrin Ultra Tuna Bisque. I got it at Pet Supermarket.