Throwing up after eating

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After trying a sample of EZcomplete, which has been the first food my cats ever gone crazy for I got a big bag and yesterday I prepped a batch with chicken and pork for him. Today at breakfast and at dinner after eating his food he threw it all back up. The first time I thought it was because he ate to fast, he got 1.50 oz and he ate it pretty fast (with other foods he will maybe finish a 1 oz serving) So I gave him a little on his lickimat a few hours later did fine, for lunch a little over an oz did fine on his lickimat again. For dinner I did 1.40 oz on his mat and after finishing he threw it up again. Both proteins he’s had before and has always done fine on, eating faster is the only thing that’s different which very well could be the issue but am I missing something? All the times I’ve fed it’s been mixed with a bit of answers chicken and lotus pork. On meal prep day he had some for dinner and little bits as I was prepping. Only other new thing was there were small chunks, as he’s always eaten finer grinds. He still has his normal energy, will eat if I offer food again.

Any advice?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this! I had to stop feeding EZ because one of our cats was vomiting about two to three hours after her EZ meals. I'm fairly (pretty much 99%) certain the mussels in the EZ were the problem. If you already feed other foods with the mussels (which have become more common), then that's probably not the problem unless he's developed some sort of sensitivity. Our other cat ate EZ fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this! I had to stop feeding EZ because one of our cats was vomiting about two to three hours after her EZ meals. I'm fairly (pretty much 99%) certain the mussels in the EZ were the problem. If you already feed other foods with the mussels (which have become more common), then that's probably not the problem unless he's developed some sort of sensitivity. Our other cat ate EZ fine.
None of the food I’ve fed has had mussels, I don’t think it would be the problem since he ate the whole sample batch just fine and when I fed little bits he was fine. He only throws up a few minutes after finishing, I’m really hoping I’m just paranoid and it just him scarfing it down because I would hate for the food to go to waste and he absolutely loves it and is the first food he actually gets excited to eat 😔

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have to feed Iris in two or three smaller amounts over about an hour or it comes back up again whether it’s EZ or anything else. The other two have no problem eating their whole meal at once. Try splitting each meal in half and waiting 30 minutes before giving the second half. I hope that’s all it is!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the food I’ve fed has had mussels, I don’t think it would be the problem since he ate the whole sample batch just fine and when I fed little bits he was fine. He only throws up a few minutes after finishing, I’m really hoping I’m just paranoid and it just him scarfing it down because I would hate for the food to go to waste and he absolutely loves it and is the first food he actually gets excited to eat 😔
I hate to say it but we've found that sometimes Edwina initially does fine with certain ingredients -- the mussels and agar-agar are recent examples -- but then, over time, she just can't eat them. We fed EZ Complete for a year or two before the problem started. I think we're now seeing something similar with tapioca, which has been in some of her foods for years: now that it's used more often in foods, the number of foods with it has increased, so I'm suspecting it's what's been making her vomit recently. Her sister can eat and loves some of those foods so we're now on Day Three of feeding different bedtime meals to see if tapioca is, indeed the problem. Food trials are a pain in the neck but they've worked well for us in figuring this stuff out.

I have to feed Iris in two or three smaller amounts over about an hour or it comes back up again whether it’s EZ or anything else. The other two have no problem eating their whole meal at once. Try splitting each meal in half and waiting 30 minutes before giving the second half. I hope that’s all it is!
This is why we feed many meals a day! It can really help, especially if a cat has food insecurity after being underfed.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say to split the amount up at least in half if not 3rds and feed them with at least a 15-minute break in between and see if that helps with the vomiting. As it honestly sounds like he's eating too much to fast and not realizing he's full and that's triggering the vomiting.

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this is what I've been doing so far so good! It wouldn't be Pumbaa if something weren't going on with his diet :rolleyes2:

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say to split the amount up at least in half if not 3rds and feed them with at least a 15-minute break in between and see if that helps with the vomiting. As it honestly sounds like he's eating too much to fast and not realizing he's full and that's triggering the vomiting.
That's what I've been doing for far splitting his meals in half and feeding either an hour or half-hour apart no regurgitation yesterday lets see today

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but we've found that sometimes Edwina initially does fine with certain ingredients -- the mussels and agar-agar are recent examples -- but then, over time, she just can't eat them. We fed EZ Complete for a year or two before the problem started. I think we're now seeing something similar with tapioca, which has been in some of her foods for years: now that it's used more often in foods, the number of foods with it has increased, so I'm suspecting it's what's been making her vomit recently. Her sister can eat and loves some of those foods so we're now on Day Three of feeding different bedtime meals to see if tapioca is, indeed the problem. Food trials are a pain in the neck but they've worked well for us in figuring this stuff out.
Yes, there is also that possibility and unfortunately can't toss it out just yet so ill keep an eye out. Knowing his history however if something didn't sit well with him it's diarrhea and bad, which can always change hence why it isn't my first culprit. Hopefully, it's not that as I'd love to DIY someday in the far future and mussels are a great whole food source and has other great benefits. Thank you though appreciate it :thumbsup:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I forgot to add that I started giving Iris a probiotic (Proviable) to help her sensitive tummy. Whether it’s the split feeding or the probiotic, she hasn’t barfed in a long time! :crossfingers:

Cheekiezsheek

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that I started giving Iris a probiotic (Proviable) to help her sensitive tummy. Whether it’s the split feeding or the probiotic, she hasn’t barfed in a long time! :crossfingers:
Since EZ has digestive enzymes and answers has natural probiotics from fermentation I’ve been scared to add any in. They definitely did help when he was having tummy issues so I have them on hand (probios).