Throwing up 2 days in a row

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need help figuring out why one of my cats is throwing up and the other is not. They both eat the same food at the same time of day. One of them has thrown up yesterday morning and this morning at about the same time after eating and its undigested food but if he keeps going its bile. Before I pay for a vet visit I want to see if I can resolve it here. I am currently changing their food, but they have been having the same two brands for months with no problem. Is it possible there was a bad can? (but if that's the case I wonder why the other cat isn't getting sick) I opened a new can of one of the brands and that's when he puked but he didn't puke when he had it for dinner. Yesterday I fed him dry food after he threw up his wet because it was undigested and I didn't want him going hungry. Today I fed him a different can/flavor of wet after he threw up the original one.

Most of his other behavior is typical like his activity level and such with the exception of some sneezing which I originally thought was something just irritated his nose like dust. do you think he is just eating too fast/too much or could this be related to sneezing? just weird considering they get the same amount of wet food each day at the same time and he doesn't have runny nose or eyes. the only difference in their feeding has been that new can of food was opened and my boyfriend has left later for work these two days and been there when they ate. The cat that has had problems is scared of my boyfriend and taking a very long time to warm up to him. Can stress do this too maybe? The only problem with that is he doesn't have problems being fed when my boyfriend has off.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he keeping any food down? That's going to make a difference in what we might suggest. If you are sure that he is keeping at least some of his food down, you can give him another day or two, and if it hasn't stopped, take him in. If, on the other hand, you are fairly sure that he is NOT keeping anything down, this should not wait until after the weekend. Try to take him in today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . However, I have one additional comment based on your following remark:
my boyfriend has left later for work these two days
If he is able to keep food down at other meals/times of the day, then there may be too long of a time period between his dinner and his breakfast the next day. It could be excess digestive juices collecting in his empty stomach, causing irritation. Not all cats do this, so your other cat might just fine without eating for hours on end. Perhaps break up their last meal of the day into 1/2 at dinner and the other half before bedtime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was feeding him his first meal in the morning, he was throwing it up but I waited like 10mins after each time and fed him again and he kept that down and his other two meals are kept down as well. Thank you, I had an issue with him throwing up bile in the morning so I moved their breakfast earlier and I may have to move it earlier/be more consistent. Sometimes it will be 10-20mins different time on each day. So far he has not had a problem the past few days, but I am definitely going to mention it at my next vet visit because I don't think he should be puking so often.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't bothered taking him to a vet because he was still getting food. I have also been feeding him a larger portion of dry vs. wet than usual because its more calorie dense. Guess he is just super sensitive :'(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may actually do better with 3-4 smaller meals a day, if your schedule permits. Just a thought.
Thank you, i do three small meals two wet and one dry. thinking its a beef allergy/intolerance now because i just tried to give him beef again. this time at night when he has never thrown up before and he did.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be stress related or need to be fed earlier too, or it could be he has an allergy to something in the food. If it continues I would try to slowly change the food, he may be the only one allergic. He may be eating too fast if your boyfriend's presence makes him nervous. That will change when he gets used to him. He may also be a little sick, cats do this at times, i would monitor and see how things go.