Thrift Stores For Cat Stuff

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello :). Came here to ask about maybe used Cat stuff/furnitures. Our neighbors mentioned to us that they went to a thrift store nearby specifically for cats(or pets) and they sell a lot of cat toys, cat trees/mansions, leashes, collars, etc.

We haven't really been there to check it out but, will it be safe to use them for our own cats? I mean we can probably clean them but what are your guys' thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just found out that its helping a no kill rescue shelter as well. Money will be donated to them.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I get worried about carpeted cat trees that are used - I would ask how they are cleaned before being sold. We’ve gotten rid of a few cat trees ourselves due to flea infestations and I would be worried about potential for that.

Beyond that, if your cats smell the previous cat on then they Might not be comfortable using it. I would assume any leashes, collars or furniture without carpeting would be ok. Not sure about toys ...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a really nice cat tree at a thrift store for cheap. Make sure you wiggle and shake it before buying to make sure it isn't hiding any structural issues. I cleaned mine before the cats had access in my garage by:
  1. Vaccum any loose hair.
  2. Use a metal bristle brush to remove any imbedded hair and vaccum again.
  3. Spray the whole thing down with a cat enzyme carpet cleaner and follow cleaning instructions for that.
  4. Let it dry.
  5. Use a black light on the whole thing to check for stains and reclean where needed.
  6. Spray the whole thing with a bleach and water mixture to kill anything still on it after that.
  7. Placed in Sunny spot outside to let the sun hit every surface over the course of a week. Allow that ultraviolet radiation to get anything I missed.
It's probably overkill in some ways and at the same time I may have missed something. But my cats like their new tree and I took every step imaginable to make it safe for them.