Threw Up Now Lethargic And Hunched

giz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I read through a few of the forum pages and threads and found similar posts, but I want some clarification. My cat had diarrhea last night, but was acting normal and I thought it must be an isolated incident. Then this morning I awoke to a pile of thrown up food. I thought he must have overeaten because it was quite a bit. I went to work, but when I got home my room mate told me that Giz had been throwing up clear liquid, 3 or 4 times. He was definitely laid out, not his usual self. But he was ok to be held, no signs of pain other than his posture of general uncomfortableness. He drank a ton of the fresh water i gave him to my dismay, as he threw it all up shortly after. No blood, no suspicious colours or piece of threads or anything. I checked his litter and he has urinated a few times since this morning (i change his litter frequently so it was new), no feces.

Now, he has drank water, held it down and it has been more than a few hours. He seems to be perking up somehwat, but is still generally immobile. He hasnt lay on his side yet, but is regaining movement and cat comfort zone.

Most threads state the same two things I came across. The first being when in doubt, or even just because these are your little family members, take them to the vet. The second is, its probably just something they ate, and the usual followup from OP says, the vet gave them pepcid AC and said get rest, a few hours later boom, cat is better.

does my story sound any different? I need some reassurance here. Vancouver Vet prices are about as high as its jilted housing market, they can run you high into the hundreds from one simple visit, and I dont have insurance.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, bless him - when you say he's hunched up and uncomfortable looking that worries me tbh - cats hide the worst of their pain so if he looks a bit uncomfortable, it is possible he may be in quite a bit of pain. Throwing up after just having water is not good either.

I think you need to take him to a vet as soon as possible, I know it is expensive, but sometimes it is necessary.

(Be thankful if a vet visit is just hundreds, my current vet bill for Radar's ear thing and subsequent care is £4.5k and rising!)

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hoping for a good report, but it sounds like your kitty was feeling sick and nauseous. Could be a sign of many things but in this case, not one to ignore, at least IMO. I would be taking him to the vet.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So many possible causes. If it's nothing, just be happy. For me, I nelieve the old saying, "Better safe than sorry."

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to find a low cost vet "clinic", mine was only $100 for checkup, antibiotics, and de-wormer when Demi had a UTI.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright:

Is he hungry/eating?

It could be a hairball as they can be nasty big blighters that can get stuck in the tummy and obstruct the intake of food - cats are usually very hungry but either won't eat or eat then throw up straight away. After the food on top of the hairball in the tummy is emptied by vomiting, a cat will continue to throw up watery, frothy, and yellowy (bile) liquid. And, the unsettled, hungry tummy is a great discomfort, so they may sit/lie strangely.

Has he made any tell-tale hairball coughs recently, where he'd position himself low to the ground then hack an unproductive cough? Once you can recognise hairball coughs, you never miss them.

How's his poo? Constipation and hard poos are a sign of hairballs also.

I might smear a bit of vaseline onto his nose/mouth and paws to lick off if I suspected a very lodged in hairball, as it would help lubricate his tummy and ease its passage out either end.

HOWEVER, I don't like the sound of his lethargy and hunched state one bit, and so I too strongly advise a vet visit. They might only give you an antacid (for nausea, usually caused by the dreaded hairballs) but at least you will know for sure and not worry that you've missed something. Lethargy, vomiting, and being hunched are also symptoms of some kind of toxin or poison.

Please keep us updated, we're all here with you.

:grouphug:

CatLoaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else to please take your cat to the vet - Brian007 is right that the lethargy and hunched state are big red flags. Hopefully it's nothing, but it doesn't hurt to be overcautious. Please let us know how he's doing!