Three's company

Shadowsmomma36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all! So, this past Friday we ended up adopting 2 kittens that were 9 weeks old, a bonded male-female sibling couple. Well, yesterday, we ended up bringing home a 8-ish week old kitten female from a different litter. The 2 that were already here are good with her now, just curious and want to check her out. However, she keeps hissing and growling at them and hunkering down. We have kept them separated when nobody is around, just to be safe. Do we need to separate her for a while and reintroduce her slower, or should she be okay?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is known that kittens essentially always become friends no matter what one does, and they won't hurt each other. Sometimes kittens can take up to about a week to get used to the house, the humans and the other pets. About the only sort of actual problem I've heard of is that if you don't let the kitten chill in a "safe room" for a few days, and the kitten is scared, they could hide somewhere bad, like finding their way into your walls (we seem to get a post where that has happened every year or so), or under/behind an appliance which is less than ideal and can slow down them getting used to you (if they hide under a bed in the saferoom, they can still see you, especially if you get down on the floor and chill for a bit). So a few days before meeting the other kittens where they get acclimated to you and used to the idea that room is their safe space is a good idea. If that ship has already sailed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sometimes if one kitten is bigger or more active, some growling/running/hiding during play can occur, but as long as they act ok with each other otherwise, this isn't a big deal and they will get past it in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shadowsmomma36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is known that kittens essentially always become friends no matter what one does, and they won't hurt each other. Sometimes kittens can take up to about a week to get used to the house, the humans and the other pets. About the only sort of actual problem I've heard of is that if you don't let the kitten chill in a "safe room" for a few days, and the kitten is scared, they could hide somewhere bad, like finding their way into your walls (we seem to get a post where that has happened every year or so), or under/behind an appliance which is less than ideal and can slow down them getting used to you (if they hide under a bed in the saferoom, they can still see you, especially if you get down on the floor and chill for a bit). So a few days before meeting the other kittens where they get acclimated to you and used to the idea that room is their safe space is a good idea. If that ship has already sailed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sometimes if one kitten is bigger or more active, some growling/running/hiding during play can occur, but as long as they act ok with each other otherwise, this isn't a big deal and they will get past it in time.
Yeah, they've already been introduced haha. We keep the 2 siblings in a pet carrier at night (they're crate trained from where we adopted them from) just cause they're new and we don't want them to get hurt. The new one slept next to me under the blanket all night, just purring, licking my and and kneading on me. I hope she warms up to them soon.