Three senior cats with IBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I am new to the site and am here out of desperation and for support.  I have three cats 17, 16 15 and they all have IBD.  I really thought the vet was nuts, there was no way that they all could have that, the symptoms started for all three within 6 months of one another.  I truly believe the food we had them on purina ur, must have changed their formula, as they all got very ill quickly, all three almost died.  No diagnosis, so the vet chalked it up to IBD.  This was 18 months ago, we have battled it on and off ever since.  It flares and goes away then comes back.  I though we fixed it by switching to Natures Variety hypo allergenic limited ingredient diet, it worked great for a while but now one won't touch it, one keeps flaring and one is suffering all the time.

I am the most concerned about Chewy, he is blind and 16 years old and having a terrible time.  I am lost as to what to do. Let me say first, my vet says no raw diet, his system would not digest it.   Over the years he has lost from 15 lbs down to 8 1/2 lbs.  It is horrible to watch.  He eats all the time, I feed him any time he wants food, I now cook him chicken breast in addition to canned and dry food. I have also started the supplement of catsure and I have ordered clinicare.  He is currently on Prednisone and Flagyl liquid twice a day but absolutely hates it. Currently he has pudding poop that smells vile and h meows like it hurts very bad when he goes, it breaks my heart.  I just had his blood values run and all are good except he was dehydrated, but he had explosive diahrrea that day, hence the emergency vet visit.

He still comes and sits in my lap and purrs, but mostly he eats, and sleeps under the table by the heater.   

Can anyone offer any advice of anything that I can try to help him.  I have tried every food that is out there, prescription and packaged, and baby food. 

Does anyone have a cat this age that has rebounded?  I need some hope, I do not want him to suffer.  Thank you for listening.  These are my kids.........

catwhisperer1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally I wonder if giving your cat some vanilla yogurt in his food would help (vanilla because animals usually refuse plain yogurt but will accept vanilla).  Yogurt helps populate the bowel with desirable bacteria and also supplies digestive enzymes.  You might ask your vet's opinion on adding vanilla yogurt to your cat's food. 

It's also worth considering what medications or treatments are available that your vet may not have tried and considering whether your cat has another disease process going on in conjunction with the IBD.  Check the info at these links, make some notes on medications and/or other possible disease processes, and take your notes with you to the vet so you can ask him about them.

Here are some references that may help you. 

From Cornell Feline Health Center

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/ibd.html

From the Merck Veterinary Manual

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23312.htm

In the text at the above link, it mentions that "An association between inflammatory hepatic disease, pancreatitis, and IBD has been reported in cats, although an etiology for this triad of diseases has not been established. However, cats with cholangiohepatitis should also be evaluated for IBD and pancreatitis. Although as yet unproved, it has been suggested that severe IBD in cats may progress to lymphosarcoma."

From Vet Confidential

http://vetconfidential.typepad.com/...inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-cats-ibd-1.html

Before we talk about treatment, let's talk about diagnosis. This is a step that sometimes gets skipped, to the detriment of the cat. Signs of inflammatory bowel disease in cats are very nonspecific; one of the most common signs is weight loss, and other signs include vomiting, diarrhea, or poor appetite. These signs can all also be caused by plenty of other things, such as cancer, pancreatic inflammation (pancreatitis), liver disease, ulcers, parasites, etc. So it is very important to obtain a definitive diagnosis before jumping into treatment! Especially since treatment may involve strong drugs like corticosteroids, which you wouldn't want to give without a specific reason.

One disease that can cause identical symptoms to IBD in cats is called "small cell lymphoma". This is a slow, low-grade type of intestinal cancer that is very treatable. It's essential to differentiate whether a cat has IBD or small cell lymphoma because the treatment regime is different. And cats with small cell lymphoma can live happily for years on proper treatment (my own cat lived almost five years with this disease and died at close to 18 from something else entirely). In small cell lymphoma, the intestines are infiltrated by the white blood cells called lymphocytes (similar to inflammatory bowel disease), except there are lots and lots of them and they are more invasive.

The bottom line is that it is crucial to accurately diagnose and properly treat feline inflammatory bowel disease and small cell lymphoma. This is generally done through a combination of ultrasound and biopsies. We usually do an ultrasound first, to evaluate the stomach and intestines, see which parts of the GI tract (if any) look abnormal, evaluate all the other organs such as the pancreas, liver, and spleen, and see if something else entirely may be causing the cat's symptoms. On ultrasound, the intestines of a cat with inflammatory bowel disease may look perfectly normal, or they may be somewhat thickened or have abnormal layering (disproportionate thickness of particular intestinal layers). Some cats with IBD or small cell lymphoma may have enlarged lymph nodes near the intestines

What is the treatment for inflammatory bowel disease? And small cell lymphoma? For inflammatory bowel disease, it depends somewhat on the severity and type. Treatment may include hypoallergenic diet, certain antibiotics such as metronidazole (Flagyl) and/or corticosteroids such as prednisolone. In cases of inflammatory bowel disease, the corticosteroid is very slowly tapered down based on the cat's progress; for example a cat might be on 10 mg a day for 2-3 months, then 5 mg a day for 2-3 months, then 2.5 mg a day, and so on. Unfortunately, most cats on corticosteroids for IBD cannot get off the drug entirely without relapsing.

For small cell lymphoma. the situation is different. Corticosteroids are also used, but the dose is never tapered, unless necessitated by side effects or other health issues. Generally cats are left on the same high dose for the rest of their life, and luckily they seem to do fine with this regime. In addition, cats with small cell lymphoma are usually treated with a drug called Leukeran (chlorambucil), also for the rest of their life. For example, a cat might receive one 2 mg tablet of Leukeran every other day. The combination of prednisolone and Leukeran works very well long-term in many cats. You can see why it is so important to obtain a definitive diagnosis if possible; if you did not know a cat had small cell lymphoma and treated presumptively for IBD, as the corticosteroid dose was tapered, the cat would relapse or potentially develop the much more devastating cancer called lymphoblastic lymphoma.

Some cats with IBD or small cell lymphoma will become deficient in certain B vitamins, particularly cobalamin (B12) and folate. This occurs because the inflamed intestines cannot properly absorb these vitamins. It is easy to test for B12 and folate deficiencies; a blood test is drawn after the cat has not eaten for about 12 hours. This test is important for several reasons: one, if either vitamin is low, it is a good clue that the cat may have intestinal disease, and two, it is essential to treat a deficiency if one exists. I often perform a test called a feline maldigestion profile, which measures these vitamins as well as checking for a deficiency of pancreatic digestive enzymes (a deficiency of digestive enzymes can cause similar symptoms to IBD or small cell lymphoma).

Hope some of this will help you and your vet in managing your cat's illness and improving your kitty's condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the information.  I had read through much of it before in my efforts to understand this illness.  The vet has ruled out everything except IBD and cancer.  She said she didn't think it was cancer because he would not have survived the 18 months it has been going on.  She does not want to do a biopsy because of his age and health condition.  She doesn't think he would survive being put under. 

I have not tried yogurt.  I have to call her today to update his status so I will ask about that.  She said to eliminate any treats and just stick to the dry and canned foods.  So now I give him boiled chicken for treats.

The worst part is he hates taking medicine.  He is better with the liquid but you can forget about pills.  I would have no problem with giving him an injection, at one time or another I have had to give sub q to all three. 

Oh and she does give him B12 injections when we take him in so I was happy to read that.

The vet explained it to me like his intestines are swollen so they are smooth and the food passes straight through and the nutrients do not absorb.  That is why he is hungry all the time.  So it sounds to me like he is literally starving even though he is eating all the time.  Is that really what is happening?   I wish there was a magic cure that would help him

His fur is coming out and in the past couple days he started losing his balance.

I will read through everything again and see if I can figure out a new game plan.  Thank you again.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ried sprinkling a probiotic over the food, something like Forti Flora for cats.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not tried yogurt.  I have to call her today to update his status so I will ask about that. 
While probiotics might be worth trying, I'd suggest using a dairy-free high potency probiotic from a health food store rather than yogurt. Some good ones are Natural Factors Ultimate Multi or MegaFood's Megaflora. Cow dairy products can exacerbate GI issues in cats, and there really isn't enough colony forming units (CFUs) in yogurt to be effective enough. Plus, vanilla yogurt contains sugar, something else you should probably stay away from.

FortiFlora isn't high potency enough and contains other ingredients that should be avoided in cats with IBD.
She said to eliminate any treats and just stick to the dry and canned foods. 
Have you tried completely eliminating the kibble? Highly rendered dry food, no matter what the ingredients, can be very irritating to a sensitive digestive system. That would be my number one recommendation. I also don't agree with your vet about a raw diet. I think that might be your best hope right now. Please read this link on why: http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.html
Oh and she does give him B12 injections when we take him in so I was happy to read that.
You can give the B12 injections yourself at home if you want to save some dollars (depending on how much your vet charges). A vial of cobalamin can be bought at a pharmacy for cheap and lasts for ages if you store it in a dark place.
 in the past couple days he started losing his balance.
That might be due to dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. Definitely mention it to the vet and keep a close eye on it. If he hasn't had blood work done lately, would be good to get that done.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While probiotics might be worth trying, I'd suggest using a dairy-free high potency probiotic from a health food store rather than yogurt. Some good ones are Natural Factors Ultimate Multi or MegaFood's Megaflora. Cow dairy products can exacerbate GI issues in cats, and there really isn't enough colony forming units (CFUs) in yogurt to be effective enough. Plus, vanilla yogurt contains sugar, something else you should probably stay away from.
:yeah: Yogurt may help in kittens with bacterial overgrowth, but in adult cats, the dairy can be a problem. I would highly recommend NOT using vanilla flavored yogurt IF you're even going to use yogurt, because of the sugar content, which can cause serious digestion problems in cats. They don't have the digestive enzymes to manage sugar well, so a really bad idea for a kitty with IBD or any digestive problem.

FortiFlora isn't high potency enough and contains other ingredients that should be avoided in cats with IBD.
I know many people have had a good experience with Fortiflora, but that's typically when the diarrhea is a result of antibiotic administration. Especially in kitties with IBD, this is a probiotic to be avoided. It's best to use human probiotics, as they have live cultures; "pet" probiotics are typically made of fermentation product, which are not live cultures, and often have undesirable other ingredients. :(

Have you tried completely eliminating the kibble? Highly rendered dry food, no matter what the ingredients, can be very irritating to a sensitive digestive system. That would be my number one recommendation. I also don't agree with your vet about a raw diet. I think that might be your best hope right now. Please read this link on why: http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.html

Another GREAT resource for help with IBD is http://www.ibdkitties.net

The bottom line is that ALL kitties do best on an all canned food diet that is high protein and low carbohydrate. Your boy is experiencing muscle wasting, and he needs proper nutrition to treat and reverse the problem, and that means a high protein diet.

He has had blood work done to rule out hyperthyroid, CRF/CKD, pancreatitis, etc? Because those are all easy to diagnose based on blood testing. Has he had any imaging done? Even just x-rays or ultrasound? Because those are very useful diagnostics that are non-invasive.

FYI, as to the raw diet. If you're in the U.S., there are commercial raw products that make feeding raw quite easy. It can be slowly added to wet food, and see how he handles it. If concerned about bacteria, there are three products that are treated with high pressure pasteurization and are pathogen-free guaranteed. If his digestive system needs a little help with the transition, you can use both probiotics and digestive enzymes.

I agree with your vet that just "switching" him to raw would be a shock to his system. 17 in human years is about 88 years old equivalent. So it's like asking an 88 year old man that's been eating froot loops and spaghettios to suddenly start eating only raw fruits and veggies. If those fruits and veggies aren't introduced slowly, his system is going to freak out. But it doesn't mean he should work toward eating a healthier diet. :dk:

I really do suggest you spend some time on http://www.ibdkitties.net. :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvcats4ever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are not good.  I tried the probiotic, it made him walk away from the food.  He has actually eliminated the kibble himself, he does not eat it anymore.  He has quit eating much of what he was eating.  I can get him to eat boiled chicken breast but not enough.  I gave some clinicare, a high calorie food replacement, that he did drink, so I ordered more.  He is eating wet food, but this morning he threw up everywhere, that is unusual, and when he has a bowel movement it smells worse than ever.

I bought a bag of raw diet from Petco and all six cats basically laughed at me, not one would eat it.

He is drinking well, and I thought I found the answer in the clinicare, he actually played with a cat nip toy, first time in a long, long time.  But the results soon faded.

I have not had him back to the vet yet.  I can't pill him, he hates it and I don't want to make him miserable even if it should help. 

The Thursday and Friday he has wanted food constantly, I opened four or five cans of cat food, cooked chicken, gave him the liquid diet and a piece of deli ham.  I know the ham is bad, but he seemed to be starving and would not eat anything but the chicken and drink the liquid.  Today after he got sick he doesn't want anything, a complete 180 from yesterday.

He also is falling over more, it is when he is trying to walk on any surface that is not totally flat, he seems to lose his balance in his back legs.

Thank you everyone for all the advice, I have had blood work run and images taken, they were all normal.  It looks like except the b12 shots I am trying all the right things.  I am truly sick to my stomach, watching him go through this is horrible.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry you are dealing with this, and in 3 cats. That is downright scary for it to all happen at once like that.
You have already been given a lot of info that I would have mentioned .
I was going to suggest blood tests for pancreatitis,
also maybe for the exocrine pancreas function since a deficiency of pancreatic enzymes can cause them not to be able to use the food.

Have you had an abdominal ultrasound done ? That can also be very informative about what is going on with the organs, if done by an experienced person. Also if some things look suspicious you can have some cells taken to check via ultrasound guided needle aspirate. That is not always successful in finding cancer for sure but it sometimes can. and it's not invasive like getting a surgical biopsy.
& how often have you done basic CBC and blood chem panels? because that can rule things out but changes can also sometimes give the vets a clue.
Like when my cat's IBD either turned into lymphoma, or else undiagnosed lymphoma finally got more aggressive, for the first tme we started seeing hyperglobulinemia.

Re meds. If there is a compounding pharmacy in your area you might be able to get something made into either a liquid oral medicine , or something that you rub on their ear. Another alternative is to see if there is an injectible version of medicines you need to give.

I had an old cat who finally died last year , but he did get along for years with diabetes, chronic pancreatitis, IBD and finally hyperthyroidism, then either the IBD finally led to intestinal lymphoma, or else the lymphoma that had long been a suspected possibility may have been there all along and finally became more aggressive. When I tell everything that was wrong with him, it makes it sound like he was constantly ill and it was cruel to keep him around, but he loved life, he was famous for being such a "fighter", and most of the time we kept him feeling pretty well.

I had put him on Natures Variety Instinct canned venison, then later gradually started adding in the raw version. This really helped him a lot to stay on that diet. ( I saw what happened when visiting family and he got into another cat's food and got extremely ill .) NV does have a few kinds of atypical protein source foods so if one is not working you could try another. (but don't just change it all the time. ) For ex if you were feeding the venison you could try the duck or rabbit.
The canned really helped quite a bit even before I tried the raw.
He got injections of B12 twice a month, but during some periods where he was worse, he got it weekly for a short period. (We did know he had a deficiency because of blood tests.) I did the injections at home. I was already giving him insulin. For some cats it is easier to give a subcutaneous injection than it is to pill them, though Louis was pretty good about pills too.

He was on probiotics like sugarcatmom mentioned from the health food store with live active cultures. There was also a sort of paste from the vet that you set the amount for it to squeeze out. I wish i remembered what kind it was.
famotidine (Pepcid-aC. but you can get injectible famotidine) for stomach acid.
Metronidizole when he had flare ups. and a few times he also was put on the antibiotic Baytril.
Cerenia for vomiting. there might have been some other anti nausea one he had sometimes.
Appetite stimulant if needed... Luckily he did no usually need it.

Buprenorphine for pain ( that was if he had a bad pancreatitis flare up) either given with oral syringe very slowly into the cheek pocket, or via injection.

Prednisilone. For several years we mostly avoided that for MY cat because it would make his diabetes harder to control, but we managed pretty well with the other things up until we found out about the cancer and then the prednisilone did help him feel better , though his blood sugar was high.

Subcutaneous fluids helped during flare ups. Dehydration does not make anyone feel better. so that was to kee him well hydrated and it also was to help flush out inflammation.

Check out that link to the ibdkitties.net

I hope you will find a way to manage their conditions so they can at least have as good a life as my boy did the great majority of the time.
Wish I knew something to tell you that would definitely make them all better very quickly.

v63sfo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, just wanted to express that I feel your frustration, sadness and exasperation. I hope things have worked out. My cat, Kiddy is struggling with this as well.

kitty mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat butterball is going through a very similar problem. I always knew he had a slight heart murmur but then he started pooping outside the box and all over the place. Peeing on the bed. Then we moved. We got a second littler box that was low to the ground with no lid and he did better. He poops in that box unless he gets constipated from getting into other cats dry kibble.
He was throwing up about every 2 weeks and I thought I wasn't brushing him enough. But then after we moved he started pooping and peeing in box with no issues- BUT. He throws up every 2 days like clock work. Yellow clear sometimes watermelon tinged liquid. I took him to the vet and did a full blood test and gave him fluids under the skin. Oh, I forgot to mention, his coat was starting to look unkept and he was losing weight, looking mal nourished. He's been on lactulose for about 7 years because he can't poop without it. We noticed his breath was horrible and his poop wreaked to high heavens. So I'm starting the raw cat food today. I also bought the weruva as well. I also bought the freeze dried but they don't like it. They love weruva and he ate the raw cat food. I can't seem to give him the meds because if I force feed him meds he won't eat for 2 days and he's too thin as it is. I really feel your pain because I had been feeding him too shelf commercial canned food and turkey slices because he just needed to eat! I'm hoping the change in diet helps. I'm going to look into the shots for his antibiotics they gave me the metrozolno or something like that, and see if I can inject instead. I'm supposed to be giving water under the skin every other day so I guess I will. They gave me something for nausea too but it's hard because he loses his appetite if you mess with him like that.
He's my baby and he's 14 years old. My other female cats the same age- no issues at all. He's an orange tabby and the best cat I ever had. I hope he gets better. It sucks watching him purr and look at you while slowly waising away. They are incredible creatures...

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a site called IBD Kitties that is very helpful for IBD cats.  The owner of the site has done extensive research on IBD.  Between the other members and the owner, there is a ton of good information.

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the Slipper Elm Bark Syrup for cats with IBD?

Here's the info I have on it:

Slippery Elm Bark Syrup
This is not something you buy, you make it yourself and it's easy to make. It works to normalize intestinal issues, kind of like a natural Pepto Bismol (which you can't give cats). It works for constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, anything having to do with mucous membranes. Below is the recipe I've used many times.

You will want to get the pure powdered slipper elm, preferably not in the capsules as those can contain other ingredients and it's difficult to measure it that way too as it's a light fluffy powder. I buy it in bulk at my local natural food store. Not sure what you'll find near you. You can order it online too.

Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers. I use an oral syringe to dose my cats when needed.

Slippery Elm Bark Syrup for Cats

From The New Natural Cat Book by Anitra Frazier

In a small saucepan, place 1/2 cup cold water (preferably natural spring water) and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork or small whisk to wet the powder. Stirring constantly, bring to a low boil over medium heat then reduce to a simmer for 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened (happens fast!). Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 to 8 days. Make sure you label the day you made it so you don't keep it too long.

One of my cats gets this daily now as she is 13.5 years old and seems to have developed an acidic stomach so she vomits almost everyday. Also, when she's on antibiotics, I give it.

If you haven't got it, I highly recommend the the book this recipe came from.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone tried the Slipper Elm Bark Syrup for cats with IBD?

Here's the info I have on it:

Slippery Elm Bark Syrup
This is not something you buy, you make it yourself and it's easy to make. It works to normalize intestinal issues, kind of like a natural Pepto Bismol (which you can't give cats). It works for constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, anything having to do with mucous membranes. Below is the recipe I've used many times.

You will want to get the pure powdered slipper elm, preferably not in the capsules as those can contain other ingredients and it's difficult to measure it that way too as it's a light fluffy powder. I buy it in bulk at my local natural food store. Not sure what you'll find near you. You can order it online too.

Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers. I use an oral syringe to dose my cats when needed.

Slippery Elm Bark Syrup for Cats
From The New Natural Cat Book by Anitra Frazier

In a small saucepan, place 1/2 cup cold water (preferably natural spring water) and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork or small whisk to wet the powder. Stirring constantly, bring to a low boil over medium heat then reduce to a simmer for 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened (happens fast!). Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 to 8 days. Make sure you label the day you made it so you don't keep it too long.

One of my cats gets this daily now as she is 13.5 years old and seems to have developed an acidic stomach so she vomits almost everyday. Also, when she's on antibiotics, I give it.

If you haven't got it, I highly recommend the the book this recipe came from.
How is this working for your kitty? Does she mind the taste?

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties don't mind the taste of the slippery elm syrup at all. I give them 5 ml a day, but not at the same time I give them anything else, so I tend to give it just before we all go to bed. Although, they do sort of run from me anytime they see or hear me getting meds for them :lol3:, even if they like the taste of it.
As for stopping the diarrhea and vomiting issues, giving them the Proviable-KP for a week, and then Proviable-DC long term, helped a lot too. So, I'd have to say it's been both the slipper elm syrup and the probiotics together that have really helped my girls.

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry, I have two Male cats with special needs of 3 1/2 years old.

Boo has probable IBD, right now he is scheduled for vet appointment today due to sudden frequent urination.

He is currently on Royal canin Hypoallergenic Duck & Pea from the vet in can and he gets some Natural Balance LID Duck & Pea.

Boo has , I am sure, a food allergy because it all started with him scratching and biting at his feet and paws, then he developed Pancreatitis , throwing up once daily, being very vocal at night (because he was in distress and pain), appetite became poor.

We had an x-ray which revealed thickening of the intestional wall and a pancreatitis test which was positive.

After being hospitalized, IV therapy, Buprenex, Pepcid, oncior (anti-inflammatory) he recovered.

The RX diet for IBD did not work out for it is loaded with grains and the protein source was chicken which chicken can be one of many that cats can be allergic to.

We tried other RX diets, finally I went and purchased Nature's Variety Turkey LID in canned and dry.

It worked very well for him up until two months ago when our son moved back in with us and the same day we had a tornado go through our town and I grabbed up my cats and took them downstairs , which they never have been our partial basement before and Boo went crazy, clawing at me and meowing loudly.

The next day Boo threw up, next day his ears were red and inflamed looking and he was scratching like crazy.

To the vet, he was put on Prednosone , pepcid, given a B12 injection, a pill you use every 72 hrs to stimulate appetite because his appetite was not good either.

We decided to try Royal Canin Duck & Pea Hypoallergenic in dry and canned... The canned worked great he loved it but the dry I purchased a week later from the vet started another round of scratching. Took back the dry and just went with the canned, things got better... two months ago I decided to purchase Natural Balance LID Duck and Pea and he has done well on that also.

He gets Slippery Elm on days when I notice he is not eating his canned as vigorously as normal (Sometimes I add just enough water to it to make it look like gravy then if it is cold I heat it up just a tad (heated up tempts cats that are sick to eat it from the better aroma that comes from heating).

However, now the past two days he has been frequenting the litter box, anywhere from one hour apart to 3 1/2 hours apart...He acts fine otherwise, playing, eating well, no crying, growling  in the litter box or licking at his privates like my other special needs cat Spook. I don't think (I hope ) he has developed Diabetes which the vet said we would have to keep an eye on since his bout with Pancreatitis because he is not drinking excessively nor peeing tons when he goes.(sign of Diabetes along with weight loss)

Spook, on the other hand is on Royal canin SO in canned, he is prone to Struvite crystals and just recently after Bloodwork (which was perfect), UA, (no crstals, no infection) and an ultrasound, has been diagnosed with Cystitis. He is on Cosequin, daily probiotic from Dr. Mercola (internet) and is going for his second treatment of three called A- Cyst where he is catherized and this special solution of Glucosamine, Chrondrotin and another substance is put up in his bladder to coat it and to help with the healing process of his bladder... He is doing really good so far, I am amazed with only one treatment.   he is a very timid and easily excited cat(Russian Blue)

and any kind of approach from my other two cats sends him under the bed. So, stress can also bring on many things in certain cats, whether it be a change of any kind, playmates that are too aggressive, stranger walking in the home, a move, a change in schedule, etc...

I guess the jest of this is to try a hypoallergenic diet preferably in canned (not chicken, beef or fish) and stay away from grains such as corn, wheat, etc.. as I really think these can cause an inflammatory process. Have your cat tested for pancreatitis if you have not already and I am assuming a full blood panel has been performed (Thyroid, blood glucose, kidney function, etc)

I also believe (this is only by observation and experience ) that when they are licking their lips alot, appetite is poor that they have an acidic stomach and that is where a 1/4 tablet of Plain Pepcid seems to work along with trying canned food warmed up and a little water added to make it look like gravy.

B12 injections can be given at home (most vets don't have an issue with this), works well if your cat is low in B12, it also helps with appetite.

If the cat is not getting sufficient nutrition (not eating well or just picking) and not drinking enough, they can become dehydrated fairly quickly, especially if they are throwing up and have diarrhea...

Electrolytes being off can cause lack of appetite, coordination problems, etc...

The slippery elm works to coat the stomach, works as an  anti-inflammatory, helps with diarrhea or constipation... not to be given at same time with medications as it might interfere with absorption.. Give at least an hour or so after meds......

I know how frustrating this can be, I have two of them that have  two different special needs and it gets so stressful and frustrating....

Best of luck to you as we all don't like to see our babies not feeling well....

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Slippery Elm also helps with acidic stomach, I've found. I give 1 ml. twice a day to my kitties, about an hour or two after meds. Antibiotics should be given just before or with food to avoid stomach upset (I found this works great), even if it doesn't say so, unless it especially saids not to. Then about an hour later, I give the slippery elm syrup. When my cats aren't on antibiotics, I found giving the slippery elm just before eating worked great to avoid vomiting, but now I wonder if it interferes with the absorption of the nutrients in the food?
Well, no matter, since giving it an hour after they eat seems to be working out, maybe I just won't worry and stick to this. I also try to give them some just before I go to bed. My only issue is if people have to rush off to work, how are they dealing with special needs and/or sick cats?
I'm lucky enough to be retired and don't work outside my home much anymore, but there are times when I stay over night at my daughter's house, which is an hour away. On those nights, I sometimes wonder what's happening with my poor kitties at home. I don't want to give up the overnight babysitting gigs.

mistybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. Just reading about the ibd as my cat has epi. It sounds very similar. Have you tried pancreatic enzyme supplement powder. I bought mine off Amazon. She has been on it for a year now and it has made a huge difference. She still has poorly episodes and trips to the vet but she no longer eats constantly with ferocious hunger like she used to. It's been a god send.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your cats get better.My 13 yr old has IBD.Her prednisolone is flavored so she loves it.She was 4 pds under weight but I took her to the vet yesterday and weighed her.She has gained a pd.Her food is Hill's Prescription Z/D.She can eat a whole can at once.Josie was fine for a month but her loose stools have started again.I do not think it's the food because there is blood in it and it's not normal looking loose stool.The vet I took her to gave her FortiFlora which should help.She sees the internal med doc tues.Josie's been making a mess on the carpet 2-4x a day.My internal med doc said it is normal for cats with IBD to occasionally have bacterial infections so she will need to be on something else permanently

Laura

lyndas01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat - Gracie - she is 13 years old and has a myriad of problems - arthritis, diabetes, kidney issues and the latest is IBD.  What she is on now is Hills I/D which I feed her in the morning mixed with a pro-biotic then at night I give her Friskies - which is also mixed with a pro-biotic.  There are many types of pro-biotic on the market.  I picked this one up from the vet.   She is a very picky cat and this combination seems to help her.

Status
Not open for further replies.