Three Cats Named Mocha

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I adopted a four-year-old kitty about eight months ago and named her Mocha. In the past, all of my cats, except one, were kittens when I got them, and they learned their names very quickly. The one older cat I adopted years ago was exceptionally smart and recognized her name quickly. Mocha is sweet and beautiful, but she’s not blessed with a high kitty IQ.

I did some reading about teaching cats their names—and searched TCS for threads and articles—and everything about training seems to involve rewards and treats.

I also have two 14-year-old girls, Lily and Iris, who love the whole concept of rewards and treats and are perfectly willing to change their names to Mocha if it means they get Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose. In fact, they’re picking up on the Mocha=yummies better than Mocha is. So now when I call “Mocha,” Iris and Lily trot in followed by the actual Mocha who seems more curious than responsive to her name.

I realize this little issue is minor compared to others’ problems with their fur kids, but if anyone has any ideas, I’d welcome them. If not, I’ll just work away at it and hope that I don’t end up with three cats named Mocha. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, at the possibility of having 3 cats named Mocha! :D

My adopted girl, Ruby, quickly learned her name, and since she came from a shelter where they had also named her, and must have had prior owners before ending up at the shelter, I suspect Ruby is at least her third name.

I've read that cats learn names that end in the "y" sound most quickly. But then again, they also learn the word "treats" quickly and it doesn't end in a "y".

I'd probably just keep saying Mocha's name all the time when she's the only cat around. And hopefully she'll eventually realize that's her name. ;)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
George Foreman named all his kids George. He said it was so he would never have to worry about getting names right. Calling out "George" would get attention no matter who was there.

Sometimes cats know their names and sometimes they don't. Often times they know their name but could care less about it and especially not care that YOU may happen to know it. "Did I give you permission to use my name when addressing me?" . The more interesting question is do you know their name for you and do you respond when they call you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I've read that cats learn names that end in the "y" sound most quickly. But then again, they also learn the word "treats" quickly and it doesn't end in a "y".
I’ve read that, too. I’ve also read that hard sounds—consonants—are better at the beginning than vowels. And in fact, Lily learned her name much more quickly than Iris did.

The shelter had named Mocha “Martha,” which didn’t fit her at all and seemed kind of soft with the “th.” She looks like a “Mocha,” and I thought the combo of the initial “m” and the hard “k” sound in the middle might make it easier for her. And I often call her Moch-y. :)

I think I’m going to have to cut out the treats and just focus on repetition with eye contact...particularly while petting her. The treats are just too hard for the other two Mochas to resist. :lol:

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
The more interesting question is do you know their name for you and do you respond when they call you?
Woman Who Feeds?
Person Who Gives Shoulder Scritches?
Giver of Treats?
Box Cleaner?
Hey You, Yeah You?
I’m sure there are many, but usually they summon me with just a look. It works. :lol:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They probably all come running because they want what the real Mocha is going to be getting lol.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They think Mocha means treat now! I would practice with the word "Treat" for a few days when giving them treats. Then I would use their names at other times, not with food. Like take each cat and point to something out the window, like "Mocha, look!" They'll understand it, will lots of repetition. Cats are smart, they'll get it. :D

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I call my three for dinner we have one, Nightfury, who will respond to any name. Because he too has made the link between calling for food regardless of name. However, if I say names at other times he only responds to his. Your two probably know their names but Mocha means treat time.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, the training-cats-to-recognize-their-names-with-treats strategy doesn’t really work in a multi cat household...at least not in this one. And it’s creating bad habits. Lily, who is on a perpetual low fat diet because she gains weight too easily, has taken to following me around the house and demanding treats, kind of like Simon of Simon’s Cat, if you’re familiar with those wonderful short videos.

I think a better strategy for Mocha is to substitute treats with a non-food reward like interactive play time with her favorite mousie. The two 14-year-olds aren’t interested in the mouse while Mocha is an expert practitioner of kitty parkour.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It took Mocha a year--from October '17 to November '18--but she finally learned her name! The non-food reward strategy worked (slowly, but it worked), and she now reliably responds to her name. In fact, she comes when I call her! Mocha is Mocha, Lily is Lily, Iris is Iris, and no one thinks her name means "treat." Whew! :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great !!!! :thumbsup:
So who's the first to arrive when you ask "who wants a treat?" :yummy: