thrashing and dreaming

jnt840

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitty from a shelter about a month ago. He was rescued from behind a store where they found him with a serious leg wound. He's FIV+ and lived in the shelter almost 2 years as "pet of the month" before I finally found him!

Anyhow, my question is about his dreaming which he does a lot of. Normally he'll twitch a bit, whiskers and mouth move, ears and feet move. But sometimes his whole little body thrashes in a way where it is like he is struggling - so much that it wakes me up. If I'm awake and see him struggling like this, I'll start by talking to him soothingly to let him know I'm there and then touch him and pet him. He usually doesn't startle much when I touch him while sleeping.

I posted in the health forum about his teeth - all four canines are broken off! I'm wondering if he was in a car accident or a really horrible fight that maybe he still dreams about. Poor little kitty.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jnt840

I adopted a kitty from a shelter about a month ago. He was rescued from behind a store where they found him with a serious leg wound. He's FIV+ and lived in the shelter almost 2 years as "pet of the month" before I finally found him!

Anyhow, my question is about his dreaming which he does a lot of. Normally he'll twitch a bit, whiskers and mouth move, ears and feet move. But sometimes his whole little body thrashes in a way where it is like he is struggling - so much that it wakes me up. If I'm awake and see him struggling like this, I'll start by talking to him soothingly to let him know I'm there and then touch him and pet him. He usually doesn't startle much when I touch him while sleeping.

I posted in the health forum about his teeth - all four canines are broken off! I'm wondering if he was in a car accident or a really horrible fight that maybe he still dreams about. Poor little kitty.
I have an F3 Savannah and one DSH who will do sort of what you described. My Savannah will move his feet, ears, mouth, thrash his tail and so on when sleeping. He does however startle at any noise or being touched when he is asleep.

My six year old DSH will sometimes growl in her sleep along with various facial movements. Lastly sometimes she puffs up her tail in her sleep as well. But again, she will startle when being touched in her sleep.

So I would assume what your cat is doing is normal for him
, at least in my experience.

Lastly your cat reliving being hit by a car is not something I think is likely. But I have a very different mind set (more clinical then emotional) then most members on this forum. So that is just my opinion.