Thoughts On Ziwi Peak Canned Food Vs. Redbarn? Chickpeas And Low Calories?

Crystal0268

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience feeding their cat canned food in Lamb, from either Ziwi Peak or Redbarn? My cat is eating the Redbarn lamb because it's one I've finally found that doesn't give her a food allergy reaction. The longer I've been feeding this to her, the less enthusiastic she is about eating it. She doesn't refuse it but will only eat a minimum.

Since it seems she doesn't like it very much, I'm looking at trying Ziwi Peak lamb since it's also a single protein with lamb. The reviews are full of complaints about chickpeas being in the formula so does anyone here have experience with cats not liking chickpeas in cat food? I'm also concerned that the cans are larger at 6.5oz, but the calorie content is low so she'd have to eat way more food. Anyone also have experience with that? Also, does the high price reflect the quality/likability?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwipeak is a good brand but their canned foods are insanely expensive. I’m not super worried about the chickpeas because there is always a trade off between good and bad ingredients in cat food and chickpeas are not the worst thing you can feed. If your budget can afford it, Ziwipeak is a high quality brand.

Another brand to look into that is high quality and a bit more affordable is Nature’s Variety Instinct. They also have lamb cans.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystal0268

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 I have tried Nature's Variety in duck and rabbit but she's allergic to those too. I looked into the lamb and it also has pork and egg so it's probably not allergy friendly. I've tried so many brands, just haven't tried Ziwi Peak.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hound and Gatos makes a lamb flavor as well. I gave my boy Gizmo the ziwipeak venison many many months ago and he absolutely plowed through it but he only got the 12 cans because it was so expensive.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neo_23 Neo_23 I have tried Nature's Variety in duck and rabbit but she's allergic to those too. I looked into the lamb and it also has pork and egg so it's probably not allergy friendly. I've tried so many brands, just haven't tried Ziwi Peak.
That’s too bad, there may be something in the base ingredients that your cat is intolerant of. Food allergies are actually not that common in cats so I doubt your cat is allergic to all those proteins. Allergies to rabbit are very rare. They are probably just intolerant of something in the base or have a sensitive tummy.

Either way, good luck with finding a food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think ziwi is a good food, unfortunately my guys will not eat it. Have you tried other flavors in the Red barn brand? as Neo_23 said it may be something else, other than the protein in the other foods that is causing an allergy?

They do not have a lamb, but Rawz is a good, very limitied ingredient food, may be worth a shot? I shop online at the big bad woof and you can buy individual cans of Rawz, hound & gatos, as well as red barn, may be worth trying?

only natural pet online offers ziwi in individual cans. Weruva also has a lamb.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was trying to figure out if Ailish had a food allergy and to what we did an elimination diet that began with Ziwipeak Venison because venison was the one reasonably obtainable protein that she had never had. She ate nothing but Ziwipeak venison for about three months because I was on vacation at the time I could have introduced a new food. They changed the formula in the middle of the three months. Yes, it is extremely expensive. She did get tired of it because she was used to get a big variety and was actually reluctant to eat it for a couple days at about two weeks. However, although she preferred the old formula she did, and in fact still does, have no problem with the garbanzo formula. I was very happy with the food. She probably had the nicest coat she's ever had, even with other pricey foods. I give it to her in the rotation now and once I go through the venison I will probably get some Lamb, which is somewhat less expensive.