Thoughts On The Ziwipeak Reformulation (changed For Autumn 2018)?

Cynthia11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently noticed that Ziwipeak have changed their air dried formula from 98% meat to 96% - I emailed them about it and they say this is in response to changed US regulations from AAFCO, USfDA, FSMA and the difference is made up of vitamins, minerals and lecitin, which I think wasn't previously in the ingredients. I'm attaching an image of the old formula (venison). The new formula is:

Venison, Venison Tripe, Venison Heart, Venison Lung, Venison Liver, Venison Kidney, New Zealand Green Mussel, Venison Bone, Lecithin, Inulin from Chicory, Dried Kelp, Minerals (Dipotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Salt, Preservative (Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), DL-Methionine, Taurine.

(from their website)

Does anyone who is more knowledgeable about ingredients have an opinion on this? My gut reaction is that I'm not happy about it and that it's most likely a change for the worse, but I'm no expert, so I'd love to hear opinions.

Attachments

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I doubt it’s going to make that much of a difference. The food is still mostly organs, meat, and bones. Looks like they did raise the bone on the list though. Perhaps it wasn’t meeting the calcium levels set by aafco? If that’s the case it may cause some slight constipation in some cats who don’t do well with high calcium diets.
It still includes everything it did from before. Some added salt. Also probably wasn’t meeting the proper levels for aafco. It’s still extremely good quality in my book.