Thoughts On Possible Allergy

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello my 6 month old kitten was acting just normally as a kitten does ever since I had him at 8 weeks. But he wouldn’t eat any dry food at all. Tried Merrick, Whole Hearted, Natural Balance, Tikki Cat, Hills Science Diet, Iams, and more but would not eat it. Just ate his Weruva wet. So tried one last dry two weeks ago. Purina Proplan focus, kitten and to my surprise he ate it. New behavior started that resembles feline Hyperesthesia. Took him to the vet. Said no fleas. He is an indoor only kitten. My question to anyone is, think he might be allergic to the new dry kitten food that is making him feel itchy and unsettled?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible. Try removing the food and see if that helps. Why do you feel the need for him to eat some type of dry food. If it is a financial issue I understand that, it is what it is. If you think there is a health reason for him to eat a dry food, there really is none.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is possible. Try removing the food and see if that helps. Why do you feel the need for him to eat some type of dry food. If it is a financial issue I understand that, it is what it is. If you think there is a health reason for him to eat a dry food, there really is none.
I thought and have heard that they need some crunch once in awhile for their teeth, no? Also it’s just an “in case” he gets hungry during the night and wants a snack. Yes I am projecting human characteristics on to Leo. Better stop that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Having some dry left out overnight isn't a bad idea at all. But, if I were you I would try some different dry versions in the hopes they have different ingredients than the Purina Proplan Focus just in case he is having an allergic reaction to something in that particular food.

Many members will tell you that dry food does not help clean a cat's teeth or aide with healthy gums. But, I don't necessarily agree (OK, now you will hear from others saying I am crazy!! LOL). Of my three cats, the one who never ate dry food was the only one who had dental issues. However, that could be pure coincidence; I will never know. Also, there are just some cats that are more inclined to have dental issues than others. While I have never done it, there a lot of members who either brush their cat's teeth or have annual dental cleanings done through their vet's office. At any rate, a vet should be checking your cat's teeth/gums every time you take him in for an annual check up.

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great. Thanks for the info. Vet did just check his teeth because he just finished loosing his baby teeth. Mentioned I could try to brush his teeth or just bring him for the oral vet check. Maybe I will just quit the dry food or try one more.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe that dry food has no impact on how clean their teeth are, just like eating potato chips and pretzels wouldn't make our teeth clean, we would still have to brush. I do understand wanting to leave some dry food out at night though and my cat likes Dr. Elsey's clean protein dry which has very few ingredients so it may be helpful if he has allergies.

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you for that brand name to try.