Thoughts On Maxiguard Oral Cleansing Wipes Instead Of Using A Toothbrush For A Cat's Teeth?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello,

So went to a different vet today for a different reason, but I asked about my cat's teeth and the vet confirmed that my one cat at 11 month does have signs of Gingivitis and the gums don't look great. I've already started the process of getting her use to having her teeth brush, and they showed me a demonstration today. But they actually recommend I try and just use:

They demonstrated it, and it seemed to be a lot easier. (There was sadly blood from just a simple rub).

Thoughts? Is it is as good as brushing with a toothbrush?

Thanks!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet actually recommended something similar for me to use on my cats. I have always been able to take care of my dog's teeth by brushing, and he was fine with it. My cats were not. The dog is now 11, but has the teeth of a much younger dog with brushing a few times a week and pretty regular dental cleanings. So, I expressed concern that I wouldn't be able to establish a good routine for my cats' teeth since they are not as cooperative during brushing.
She mentioned that for the toothpaste, it is mostly the application (rather than the friction of the brush,) which makes it effective. The toothpaste itself is enzymatic, and breaks down the plaque by simply being on the tooth. Although the mechanical action of the brush helps if you can work up to it, the more important thing is to apply the toothpaste.
She also said if the toothpaste isn't working out, a textured wipe can clean off plaque daily. She seemed to think I'd still have to brush their teeth with toothpaste, eventually, and still recommended I worked on getting the cats used to it.
She mentioned specifically that if the cats develop gingivitis, the tooth wipes are better for their gums. She told me about a different brand called DentAcetic, but it seems very similar to the MaxiGaurd that your vet recommended in that they both have an animicrobial agent that works to reduce plaque. I think I might even try the brand you posted, because the DentAcetic has some kind of cinnamon/ clove flavor that's weird.
What I've found helpful is to get the cats nice and relaxed with a brushing. Have tooth wipes nearby. When they start purring and rubbing their face on your hands, apply the tooth wipe to one finger, and slip it under their lips while petting with the other hand. They didn't even really notice.
Now that they're used to it, I can just rub their teeth with the wipe easily after dinner. I still can't get them to remain calm during tooth brushing, but we try and slather some in their teeth at least once a week with both me and my husband holding them. Hopefully the wipes work well for your poor kitty, too. Sending healthy wishes for her little gums! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet actually recommended something similar for me to use on my cats. I have always been able to take care of my dog's teeth by brushing, and he was fine with it. My cats were not. The dog is now 11, but has the teeth of a much younger dog with brushing a few times a week and pretty regular dental cleanings. So, I expressed concern that I wouldn't be able to establish a good routine for my cats' teeth since they are not as cooperative during brushing.
She mentioned that for the toothpaste, it is mostly the application (rather than the friction of the brush,) which makes it effective. The toothpaste itself is enzymatic, and breaks down the plaque by simply being on the tooth. Although the mechanical action of the brush helps if you can work up to it, the more important thing is to apply the toothpaste.
She also said if the toothpaste isn't working out, a textured wipe can clean off plaque daily. She seemed to think I'd still have to brush their teeth with toothpaste, eventually, and still recommended I worked on getting the cats used to it.
She mentioned specifically that if the cats develop gingivitis, the tooth wipes are better for their gums. She told me about a different brand called DentAcetic, but it seems very similar to the MaxiGaurd that your vet recommended in that they both have an animicrobial agent that works to reduce plaque. I think I might even try the brand you posted, because the DentAcetic has some kind of cinnamon/ clove flavor that's weird.
What I've found helpful is to get the cats nice and relaxed with a brushing. Have tooth wipes nearby. When they start purring and rubbing their face on your hands, apply the tooth wipe to one finger, and slip it under their lips while petting with the other hand. They didn't even really notice.
Now that they're used to it, I can just rub their teeth with the wipe easily after dinner. I still can't get them to remain calm during tooth brushing, but we try and slather some in their teeth at least once a week with both me and my husband holding them. Hopefully the wipes work well for your poor kitty, too. Sending healthy wishes for her little gums! :vibes:
Thanks, I was just suprised I've never heard of this before since it seems to be as good, but a lot easier to use. I still plan to take them to have their teeth cleaned properly, but I was hoping to not have to do it until they reach 3 years of age.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I was just suprised I've never heard of this before since it seems to be as good, but a lot easier to use. I still plan to take them to have their teeth cleaned properly, but I was hoping to not have to do it until they reach 3 years of age.
Yeah, my vet seemed to think it wasn't a big deal until they got older for the teeth cleaning, but mine just turned 1. I'm not sure when we are supposed to schedule the first cleaning.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my vet seemed to think it wasn't a big deal until they got older for the teeth cleaning, but mine just turned 1. I'm not sure when we are supposed to schedule the first cleaning.
I heard from Dr. Pierson 3 years would be fine, but it surely depends on the cat. With Lilo it'll definitely be 2 year, Sawyer I think I can wait till 3 years. Hopefully these wipes will work.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I had to start at 9 months with Mouse as he had severe gingivitis and lesions in his mouth at that stage. I did try wipes before changing over to paste but I didn't find the wipes worked very well. It was over 6 years ago though and I suspect they have developed a lot since then. I rarely brush with the paste these days and let Mouse lick it from my finger as it is very effective at controlling plaque even without more friction. It would be easy to rub gums with a little of the enzyme paste on a little muslin cloth too.

I strongly suspect that using the wipes would be a lot more costly than the enzyme tooth paste. The paste seems expensive when you buy but a small tube lasts over a year as you use so little even if it's for a daily routine.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to start at 9 months with Mouse as he had severe gingivitis and lesions in his mouth at that stage. I did try wipes before changing over to paste but I didn't find the wipes worked very well. It was over 6 years ago though and I suspect they have developed a lot since then. I rarely brush with the paste these days and let Mouse lick it from my finger as it is very effective at controlling plaque even without more friction. It would be easy to rub gums with a little of the enzyme paste on a little muslin cloth too.

I strongly suspect that using the wipes would be a lot more costly than the enzyme tooth paste. The paste seems expensive when you buy but a small tube lasts over a year as you use so little even if it's for a daily routine.
The wipes for a year for one cat would be $50 a year, so for mine two it would be double at $100.

Was it this same wipe? The vet agreed, not so much friction but just contact on the outside only. She said I could even just put some of the paste on a regular paper and rub that on their teeth.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used to brush I would just put the toothpaste on my finger and rub it on my cats' teeth and gums. I feed raw chunks instead of brushing now though because it has naturally occurring enzymes that help keep teeth clean. Plus, I could never get to those far back teeth in the mouth anyway, but when my cats eat raw meat they clean them by chewing with those teeth. Works so far.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Not the same wipes saleri saleri . I'm not an expert and don't understand what the active ingredient/s are in the wipes your vet has suggested, or how they might compare with an enzyme paste but if it were me I would want to know, esp when the price is somewhere in the region of 10 x more, e.g. Virbec CET.

My vets here are happy with the enzyme paste which is readily available and economical, and they certainly keep Mouse's teeth free of plaque along side prescription dental food. It hasn't stopped tooth reabsorbtion in the long term but his general gum and dental health is still good and that is way more than I ever expected from his oral health at 1 year.