Thoughts on indoor cats going outside

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am about to buy a house in a very quiet area that has a fairly extensive garden. It is fully fenced with solid wood all around so that apart from raccoons predators can't get in and black bears will ignore the place because it has no fruit at any time of the year.

It's big enough and landscaped enough that a curious old cat could roam happily in there and never feel the need to leave the place. I know my Willow would stay put because she's lazy and just wants to hang out with me, and I can leash walk her around to familiarize her with her new surroundings so she knows where to run for safety. I was thinking of leash training the little Dude and doing the same. They're both ten going on eleven so not spring chickens.

Part of the garden is fenced off separately and as an alternative to just letting them roam in the garden I was thinking of removing all of the higher plants and cat-proofing the top of the fence in that area to make a secure cat area.

Both of my cats have had large second-story balconies to hang out on, so they're used to an outdoor space, but the new place is a rancher..

Anyone have any thoughts about this? The garden in the new place will be awfully tempting for a cat. Does the cat-proofing on fences actually work?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fencing does actually work if you build some frames covered with netting or wire and lean them IN towards the inside of the garden. Letting them roam in a wooden fenced area is OK if you are watching them, but my cats scale 8,9, and 10 privacy fences. Even at ten years old. I'm happy for you (and them) about getting a new home with such a lovely area!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For an older cat, I didn't have any issues with cat proofing the fence (younger cats yes, as I only have a half fence).

We frequently let our cats out in the garden and they enjoyed it.

Our younger boys need a leash and harness as they try to jump.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your fence will need to be at least 8 feet tall, if not more. Coyotes, which are everywhere in the US can jump 6 feet and climb the other two. A fence leaning in would stop your cat from getting out, but would not stop a coyote from getting. It would stop the coyote from getting out again, which might be a problem. However, you could add a portion to the top of the fence so that it leans out as well as in. And, coyotes dig like mad.

Foxes can and will kill cats. They also dig.

Bob cats can and will cats. I don't think they dig, they might.

Racoons can and will kill cats. Keep all food items in the house, do not feed the cat in the yard. Put your trash in a tightly sealed trash bin. Best to get one that says it's racoon proof.

Hawks and the like will take cats right out of their yards, be aware of this. Owls too and they hunt at twilight.

Be sure that your cat can get through her door and that the predators can't follow her inside. Foxes aren't as big as they look.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not mentioned so far, is that if you dont have a cat door, your cat may become a huge PITA and want you to become their door slave. There are tactics that can mitiage that, but a lot of people get driven a bit crazy. You give a cat an inch it wants a mile.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Hawks around. I have mice and inner city rats (thank God I have not had any for 30 yars). The rats eat poison, the cats eat the rodents and the rest .......well. The hawks have succumbed to the rat poison too! My cat stays indoors. I considered a catio but did not want to spend hundreds on something she may or may not like,not to mention summer 90-100 degree heat .

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats are considered nuisances as they pose various issues. They have a tendency to hunt and kill other creatures, carry diseases, and can become infested with fleas and ticks. Moreover, there is a risk of them being harmed, either by being run over or attacked by larger animals, which can result in distressing situations for their owners. It is advisable to keep cats indoors to avoid such problems.

Instead, it is recommended to provide indoor cats with suitable environmental enrichments, such as cat trees and places for them to explore and hide. Interestingly, cats can often find amusement in simple things like a cardboard boxes, so there is no need to spend a fortune to keep them content.

but Hey do what suits you this is just my personal opinion

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you let your cat out with supervision, be aware that you will NEVER run faster than your cat and will not be able to catch her if she doesn't want you to.

Most cats specialize which means a cat who chases mice and chipmunks is unlike to chase birds. Those who do catch birds usually can only catch the old or ill birds who are on the way to starvation. One who chases snakes is unlikely to take birds or mice. Since the birds that cats can catch are usually elderly or ill from pesticides you probably don't want you cat to eat them. If you really care about birds, you'll focus on getting rid of the pesticides that are killing them directly by poisoning their food source, or indirectly by eliminating their food source.

Even in the UK were the RSPCA wants all cats to be in/out cats, people justify trapping cats to take them to the pound or kill them, sometimes by torture since in their view cats are evil and they protecting birds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are no coyotes on Vancouver Island so I'm not worried about that. And black bears are not a threat. We do have cougar, though, so I would never let them just roam freely.

I think they may have to be indoor cats until I can build them a catio. It's just that they will be real pests until they understand that they aren't going outside, and that could go on until the Spring at least. They'll be unhappy, though, and I hate that. I'll be outside drinking my coffee and there will be little paws squeaking on the glass behind me....

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you can’t take them out one at a time on a long leash as you drink your tea? It was my compromise to allow my boy some freedom. He has a 22 foot & a 30 foot lead leash. I just have to make sure the leash doesn’t wrap around anything so he doesn’t escape.
He runs, jumps, rolls around, climbs trees in his harness. Though most of his time is spent hunkered down under the fern or on the chair watching the bird feeders.

Attachments

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get all you said, but have a problem with using poison altogether... not to mention why it's ok for hawks to be sacrificed to your cat(s), never mind someone's dog, etc. etc.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with others about keeping a VERY watchful eye. One of my cats learned to dig under a fence. My current cat was just being a porch sitter but yesterday he decided to take off - when I had my eyes off him for a few minutes only. I've thought about a lead but if you have nearby predators, then you have a "bear treat" on a leash. I also keep the nails trimmed which helps deter from climbing but also leaves them without some predator protection. I'm going back to only chaperoned outside time. I've also used a harness with short leash to just drag behind - so I have a better chance of grabbing them from under a bush or wherever they might try to go. Also, I've taught most of my cats to NOT meow at the door. Just takes diligence to only let them out when they're being quiet, distracted, etc. Ignoring all meows to go out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Willow is leash trained and will be happy with that as she has never roamed freely and has never been outside without me. If someone leaves the door open she just waits for me.

It's the little Dude I wonder about since he has never been on a leash. I suppose he'll see Willow out there and decide he wants to try it too, since he learns from her.

I'd have to take them out one at a time, so it could get very time-consuming. I won't worry about predators as my garden is fenced and there are much easier targets nearby.

I have never seen a leash longer than about 6 feet, though.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a retractable dog leash for Magnus. I've found it works best.
Different areas are going to have different levels of safety depending on what and who is around.

Cal only needs a short 2ft leash because he doesn't leave the back patio. Ghost likely will be the same. I can take two out at a time in the enclosed space, but Calcifer mostly just sits on the ground with me.