Thoughts On Boarding Cats?

supamik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice and thoughts from experienced cat owners.

I adopted my kitty almost a year ago and she's 1 yr 2 mo old. She has become very attached to me and I to her, of course. She's very well behaved except that she absolutely hates being confined, whether it's in a carrier or even if I lock her out of my room in the morning. I've traveled with her by plane and car (she HATED it and I tried meds to reduce her anxiety as well), worried to leave her behind to only be checked on once a day for an hour I have done that as well though, as needed and when I come home she always seems to ignore me for a little while.

My family wants to take a vacation next month which would mean leaving her for about 10 days (the longest yet). I'm looking into places to board her since I'm in graduate school and all of my colleagues work long hours and I know would only be able to stop by for a short amount to take care of the necessities. I also thought about asking one of them to take her into their home but I know then too she would not get a ton of human time and she very much loves people.

The boarding places I'm looking into have great reviews and I'm planning on visiting them this weekend but I'm still very concerned and anxious even thinking about boarding her at all, let alone for 10 days. I know cats easily get stressed when moving environments. Any thoughts or experiences from fellow cat owners?
Thank you in advance!

Sorry for the long post!

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is your cat's temperament like? I have one cat that is mellow and seems to like the lady at our cattery. I have another cat who is super skittish and did not do well being boarded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supamik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is your cat's temperament like? I have one cat that is mellow and seems to like the lady at our cattery. I have another cat who is super skittish and did not do well being boarded.
She loves people, but she does not like being confined or new spaces. The times I took her to my parents house, she would hide if she wasn't playing, eating, etc. When she is home, she is always out and about. She has never been in a setting like this boarding place so I'm not sure how she would act

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longer post! Lol We all hate leaving our kitties. My personal choice when I leave is to keep my kitty in her home environment and have someone stay here with kitty. In my case, kitties. They might be mad at me for leaving them but not as mad as when I have boarded them. I have boarded cats before but it is my last choice of action. Some do better than others. If you must board her make sure she is up to date on all shots and flea prevention. Take the food she likes with her as well as her favorite toys, blankets, etc.and something that smells like home. Make sure the place has a great reputation and physucally check out where she will be kept. Also get a schedule of what they will be doing for her and when. Will they play with her? Will she be put into a playroom with other cats, people? Will she be where there is a window or in a cage? Will it be quiet or sounds of music, TV? Will there be someone in the building at all times? Will she be attended to as much on weekends? Will she be where she can get vet care if needed? Will they call you if she seems I’ll? Can she visit the place before you have to leave her there? Know her new environment and the people who will interact with her before you leave. Make sure you can call and check in on her. I even request to call and let my cats hear my voice. If I don’t get positive feedback on any of the above I do not leave a cat there. I do for my cats just like I would do for my child. That is the only way I know to make sure they are totally safe and well cared for.
Just some tips on putting kitty in a carrier. Some cats like the carrier to be covered with a light, breathable cloth. I put a rubber backed mat in the carrier for them to give them something to grip and prevent sliding. I put something with my scent on it in the carrier along with their favorite toy. ( keeping in mind safety of the item , nothing they can get caught up in) Also there are calming scents you can purchase like Feliway. Music or sounds of home also help. I record my voice talking to them or TV/ music they hear at home to be played for them. Lastly, have you tried catnip? I hope some of this info is useful to you. I have been loving cats all my life and had them in many situations. I also do cat rescues and have transported more than I can count. All have survived and forgiven me. I may not have covered everything you need to know but maybe this will help. Good luck and have a wonderful trip. Post again if you have questions. Thecatsite is a great place to have come for sound advice. I am glad you wrote in. I am sure others will be answering you as well.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't like confined spaces, I would keep her at home. But I would consider hiring a pet service instead of having friends comes in and check on her. The pet service we're using comes morning and night and will spend dedicated time playing and giving attention my cat. It's cheaper than boarding and she gets to stay at home. You can pay for 1 hour visits. They also do overnight stays, but it's a lot more expensive. Depending on your budget, you could look at hiring a house sitter to live at your place for the 10 days.

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently boarded my two cats for 8 days while I was on vacation. Some tips for your search:

1. Size of kennel - if your cat is active, go for a large kennel to give her some room to run around. Too big though, and she might not feel secure. Its like Goldilocks and the 3 bears, gotta find one that's just right :p

2. Ask if they provide one on one people time, and whether they would send you photos and videos. The place I went to sends me multiple updates during the day, and also provides some human play time once a day.

3. Ask about their emergency vet, or provide details for your own vet.

4. Cleanliness - Do they clean food/water bowls everyday? Any basic grooming provided? (like nail trimming, brushing)

5. Check out the neighbors - if possible, see how the other boarders are doing.

6. Location of kennel - near the front where there's more activity, or in the back where it's more quiet. Not sure how the layout of your place is, but for mine I chose kennel that was closer to the entrance so they could people watch.

I was very happy with the place I chose. They were nervous the first few days, all huddled in their carrier, but by the third day they got used to it and came out to play and people watch. I know the best option is to have the stay at home, but for my own peace of mind I prefer to leave them knowing they are safely locked away with no chance of escape. I've had too many instances of people accidentally locking my cats in a cupboard, bathroom..or left the door open too long and they ran out. When you have a stranger come to your place, the cat is going to outsmart the strange hooman.

She might sulk for the first few days, as long as she's eating and drinking, all will be fine. It's just 10 days, not a year. Once she's home all will be forgiven ^_^

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never consider boarding my cats for 2 reasons: (1) They are cats and hate being taken out of their territory; it would be extremely stressful for them to be in a completely new place with a bunch of new people, smells, and other cats and (2) it's likely they will come home with a viral infection from being around other cats and being stressed out.

I would rather spend the money on a cat babysitter. There are lots of babysitter services where they will come to your house twice a day, feed and play with your cat.

Oh and I also have a camera monitor set up in the house that lets me check in on the cats and the babysitter whenever I want.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also recommend a professional sitter but verify and ask for references. Mine comes over for a meet and greet before the vacation itself. I get text messages and emails with pictures from each visit and a check list of litter box use, eating. I have also used a boarding facility but it’s not my preference. If you could do a one night pre vacation visit for your cat at the facility that might help. You’ll be able to see if your cat will eat,play, etc. but you will need a back up plan if it totally stresses your cat out.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also think cats do better in their own home. I have someone come for a few hours a day to fill food and water bowls, scoop litter and administer any meds. And pet the cats and play with them, of course.

I always leave vet contact info, a medical history on every cat and a letter stating that XYZ is taking care of my cats, is authorized to make emergency medical decisions, but please try calling my cell phone first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am on my 3rd cat, and cannot imagine boarding one. I have had a neighbor in the past who came over twice a day to check on/feed/play/etc. When my neighbor was sick, I searched via care.com - they have a section for pet care - and actually was able to interview people for the care of my cat. They actually came to my home - after a complete screening by me - and went through the care steps I wanted to give, and gave me quotes for cost. Of course, you have to be thorough, and you DON'T have to give them specific dates until you are comfortable with someone you might actually want to use. You can also check on Next Door Neighbor web site (if available to you), as many people in your neighborhood may have posted notices about pet care opportunities.