Thoughts on adopting a 12 yr old cat??? What is your experience with aging cats , etc??

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok..So so far, we still have our eye on the one yr old cat with claws..(the 12 yr old cat was adopted)..I did call my vet, and  they dont sell or recommend soft paws...They feel they fall off, and none of their patients use them...But anyway, I still am in love with the very first cat I saw and talked about on other posts that is 8 yrs old and also has claws, and female...She is part of St Huberts Shelter in NJ, but she is at Petco....She has been there since Feb!!!..Everytime we go see her, she is sooooooo laid back....My daughter can basically touch her tail, or do anything, and she just sits and is content......She even lets me touch her paws, and I push down, to see if she woudl let me cut her nails (for the future) ..Not sure what it is but this cat is so good with my 5 yr old..I rarely see her scratch her post there, so not sure if she is a big scratcher....Also, she rarely jumps down from her cage, she is actually comfortable there..My only concern, is Im not sure if she will be playful at all.?????? Scared she will jsut sit in one spot and never get up??? I guess Im being silly.....She actually seems content there.....Again, extremely laid back....She is a gray and black tabby...Slightly above average weight, and does have some dandruff..Maybe cause of her diet, weight, and conditons in the store)....But not from medical issues...She did have fleas when brought in, in February, but records and woman told me they were treated....She also had a senior blood panel, and all came back well.!!....She is a bigger cat, but so sweet...I guess the main thing I like is that she is extremely mellow w my daughter...Thoughts?? My husband kind of wanted a declawed, smaller and younger cat, but I feel she may be the one....I feel we wouldnt have an aggressive issue w clawing and my 5 yr old..Doesnt seem liek she would be the cat to scratch up all my furniture, but who knows...
The dandruff could be related to the stress/loneliness of the environment, or dry skin from the flea treatment. My kitty had a touch of dandruff when I adopted her. It was gone within a few days. I reckon it was just stress.

Victoria sounds like a good match. She's obviously very chill about the antics of children. She may not be the friskiest cat in the world (she is middle-aged, after all), but keep in mind, with a friskier kitty, they may not be so laid back. It's a trade-off.

If she does just like to chill a lot, well, what's wrong with that? Chill kitties just bring different things to the table. They might not play quite as much, but they're often cuddlers and lap cats. What kid doesn't like a cuddle? A cat of either disposition can be a best friend to adults and children alike. They aren't entertainment; they're companions.

Almost any cat will play with a bit of encouragement, and you should encourage them. It helps keep them fit. But lap kitties are great kitties too.

I promise your husband, even a very big domestic cat isn't big enough to kill an ambulatory child.
Teach her that animals have feelings, provide kitty with appropriate scratching surfaces, and I doubt you will have problems.

It sounds like Victoria is your kitty.

Last edited:

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm a cat noob here but I have two clawed kitties and i can tell you they are difficult to deal with..it is true they never intentionally scratch me or my husband but we still have scratches on our arms and it is true our cats have never intentionally scratched our new leather sofa and kitchen table/chairs and yet our sofa has pin holes and our table and chairs have scratches, and they have rubber caps on as well  on their front claws but their back claws do just as much damage so put them on both

we have to hire a furniture repairman to fix our sofa and do what we can with the table..and to be quite honest I have to say I will never get cats again after this but I still love those Kitties :(..

.just know if you have a clawed cat they will seek out the nicest things you have :)..just part of the cat experience, in fact I hear a cat scratching something right now, which I hope isn't the sofa, well basically if you care about the condition of your things whatever you do don't get two clawed kittens like i did :( 

hope i helped shed some light on the issue

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I have been lucky, I have had very little damage from my kitties claws.  My apartment does look a bit like a pet store with the scratchers and cat trees.  When I got a new couch and chair one of mine did a little but I moved scratching posts to where he was starting to claw a little and he stopped.  I don't know if he did a little just as marking behavior and stopped or if the posts in those spots redirected him.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ditto here, Denice.  We have several cats, none of whom scratch furniture.  However, our house looks like a pet store, too, with all the scratching posts and floor pads!  LOL  And partly it's the style of our furniture that saved us.  All our couches are futon style--the legs are hard wood or metal, not too attractive for scratching.  

I wonder if the OP of this thread ever got her kitty!  

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hey, I'm a cat noob here but I have two clawed kitties and i can tell you they are difficult to deal with..it is true they never intentionally scratch me or my husband but we still have scratches on our arms and it is true our cats have never intentionally scratched our new leather sofa and kitchen table/chairs and yet our sofa has pin holes and our table and chairs have scratches, and they have rubber caps on as well  on their front claws but their back claws do just as much damage so put them on both

we have to hire a furniture repairman to fix our sofa and do what we can with the table..and to be quite honest I have to say I will never get cats again after this but I still love those Kitties :(..

.just know if you have a clawed cat they will seek out the nicest things you have :)..just part of the cat experience, in fact I hear a cat scratching something right now, which I hope isn't the sofa, well basically if you care about the condition of your things whatever you do don't get two clawed kittens like i did :( 

hope i helped shed some light on the issue
This is not inherent to having cats with claws.

It sounds to me like two things are going on here. First, they believe your hands are toys, because you haven't redirected them. Second, you either do not have adequate scratching surfaces, or you haven't communicated to them WHAT those surfaces are.

Pia knows my hand is not a toy. She gives me plenty of warning that she's getting wound up, so I know to get her something it's ok to play with.

Most cats are also very easy to train to scratch on the right things. Some require more consistent effort, but furniture destruction is not an unfixable issue.

dale dethomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many 12 year old cats would out live a 5 year old dog.  Most of my cats live into their 20s.