Those experienced with Giardia

BooetBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our resident cat Teddy tested positive for giardia on Saturday. I’m assuming that the little foster we took in on Tuesday has brought this into the house. Little foster himself is asymptomatic however he is having treatment along with Teddy and our other resident cat Oscar - at the moment Oscar is also showing no signs of being infected.

Today is day 3 of treatment using both fenbendazole and flagyl.

Teddy has had diarrhea since Thursday and is still suffering today. He looks unwell. I can see it in his eyes. He’s feeling really sorry for himself and my heart breaks for him.

For those with experience how long does it take for the medicines to begin to work and how long till Teddy is back to his usual old self? I had hoped that after 3 days of medication he’d be showing some improvement but he isn’t at all.

Thanks in advance x

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our resident cat Teddy tested positive for giardia on Saturday. I’m assuming that the little foster we took in on Tuesday has brought this into the house. Little foster himself is asymptomatic however he is having treatment along with Teddy and our other resident cat Oscar - at the moment Oscar is also showing no signs of being infected.

Today is day 3 of treatment using both fenbendazole and flagyl.

Teddy has had diarrhea since Thursday and is still suffering today. He looks unwell. I can see it in his eyes. He’s feeling really sorry for himself and my heart breaks for him.

For those with experience how long does it take for the medicines to begin to work and how long till Teddy is back to his usual old self? I had hoped that after 3 days of medication he’d be showing some improvement but he isn’t at all.

Thanks in advance x
I hope your fur babies get well. The medicine might be making him not well. My 8 week old at
the time had diarrhea throwing up and would not eat her food. I asked what I should do the receptionist at the vets office suggested Royal Canin recovery wet food. I said I'll try it. I hand feed her and a miracle happened! She started eating on her own. Diarrhea cleared up. Now she is a wonderful eater. I pray for your babies.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure how long it takes for the meds to work, but try calling your Vet and tell them they haven't even started to work yet and see what they say. They might want to switch his meds.