This

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this just cracks me up.
And THIS is why people can’t go to 1 site ( or 1 vet) and believe everything without at least a little research of their own.

Site 1:”. The best dry cat food is better for your cat than the worst canned food”

Site 2:” I will say at the outset: I would much rather see a cat eat any canned food versus any dry food – regardless of quality level of the canned or dry food. This includes Friskies, 9-Lives, Fancy Feast, etc., canned options.”

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just research, but also a little personal experimenting :D. I have a lot of cats so I can try a few different things. I've tried most brands of kibble and a fairly large percentage of canned foods. On a kibble-only diet they had a lot of urinary issues, threw up a bunch, and were all fat. 50/50 kibble/canned helped with the urinary issues and throwing up, but they were still fat.

A diet of only canned Friskies pate flavors, with a teeny bit of higher-quality kibble as a treat, gets me the best results. I didn't have any success with 9 Lives, Whiskas, or Special Kitty canned foods. They're OK when fed occasionally, but not as a full diet. On those foods the cats had rough looking fur. On Friskies they've all lost weight (in a healthy manner) and look shinier.

I have tried higher-quality canned foods and had some good results but, besides the budgetary concerns, not all of the cats would eat the higher-quality brands. And I can't fuss around trying to get a picky cat to eat. They all agree on Friskies at least.

So, basically, you can look for advice all you want, but sometimes you just have to try some things for yourself, see how it turns out.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy , that's a great summary. And you're so right about experimentation (although with a lot of cats, what you've done sounds almost like clinical trials!) and the importance of all cats actually wanting to eat their food, particularly if it's expensive. (I wish that weren't so much to ask!) Friskies definitely has its merits. As does Fancy Feast, which I've added in every now and then: our picky cat laps it up, which is a treat for me. :D

I need to remember to go to Tractor Supply for a can or two of their Paws & Claws new pate food that doesn't have either carrageenan or menadione. I think it was duckpond duckpond who mentioned it a few weeks ago...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy , that's a great summary. And you're so right about experimentation (although with a lot of cats, what you've done sounds almost like clinical trials!) and the importance of all cats actually wanting to eat their food, particularly if it's expensive. (I wish that weren't so much to ask!) Friskies definitely has its merits. As does Fancy Feast, which I've added in every now and then: our picky cat laps it up, which is a treat for me. :D

I need to remember to go to Tractor Supply for a can or two of their Paws & Claws new pate food that doesn't have either carrageenan or menadione. I think it was duckpond duckpond who mentioned it a few weeks ago...
yes, they have come out with several new paws & claws kitchen selects. Reminds me a lot of fancy feast classics. they have a chicken, turkey and beef flavors i think. they had a variety pack, my cats only like the country chicken dinner, but they are not big on pate.

I also saw a new 4 health. untamed. it doesnt not contain menadione i don't think, but does have carrageenan, i know some dont have an issue with carrageenan, but do menadione. Might be a good option?