This one's a little different -- how would you describe these Bengal kittens' congenital hind limb deformities?

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My shelter rescued a pair of Bengal kittens from a backyard breeder a bit over a year ago (they've since been adopted, together <3). Both have hind limb deformities: Digit is missing both hind feet and Pi has 3-and-a-bit feet. We don't know if this was a genetic consequence of poor breeding or the result of an intrauterine problem like amniotic bands.

Here is a link to Digit "kicking" a toy:

And Pi dragging another toy (and growling at her sister):

How would their deformities be described? For Digit I would guess bilateral terminal transverse hemimelia?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post. Those cats are adorable and so very precious. I would assume they have all been neutered/spayed in order not pass on whatever genes may have caused this?

In the end, it doesn't matter what caused the deformities - what matters is that they are carefully monitored and taken care of appropriately. I hope the backyard breeder has not propagated any more kittens and spayed/neutered the mom/dad - as any other action would be on the verge of animal cruelty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to your post. Those cats are adorable and so very precious. I would assume they have all been neutered/spayed in order not pass on whatever genes may have caused this?

In the end, it doesn't matter what caused the deformities - what matters is that they are carefully monitored and taken care of appropriately. I hope the backyard breeder has not propagated any more kittens and spayed/neutered the mom/dad - as any other action would be on the verge of animal cruelty.
Yep, the shelter fixes, vaccinates, and treats all animals that come through. I don't know what happened to the owners, though.

This thread was more tongue-in-cheek than serious, and really just an excuse to show off these adorable kittens being dorks :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving them, they’re beautiful💕

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My shelter rescued a pair of Bengal kittens from a backyard breeder a bit over a year ago (they've since been adopted, together <3). Both have hind limb deformities: Digit is missing both hind feet and Pi has 3-and-a-bit feet. We don't know if this was a genetic consequence of poor breeding or the result of an intrauterine problem like amniotic bands.

Here is a link to Digit "kicking" a toy:

And Pi dragging another toy (and growling at her sister):

How would their deformities be described? For Digit I would guess bilateral terminal transverse hemimelia?
My previous Bengal was a result of an accidental breeding of marbled brother and sister..his surviving siblings were pure black and perfectly formed while he was a red marbled and had a slight hip deformity..wondering it was siblings breeding that caused this with these cats