This is Zy

zyflybye1201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my big man, Zy. He is about 1 1/2 years old. Since i got him weve moved 3 times. Each time things get a little, well strange. Hes always been mommies little snuggle bug. And we moved into my apartment about 7 months ago and since being here, his attitude has become very sparatic. He'll come up and lay with me and about 5 minutes later hes attacking my arm or hand. He hides everywhere and will random come andattack me. Most of the time hhe'll draw blood, and i just dont know what to do or how to get him to calm down. Help?!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi @Zyflybye1201

i'm sorry you're having issues with your kitty :(

here are a couple of things to consider...

1) the move definitely stressed your kitty out. I would suggest investing in some calming treats, or feliway diffusers (if you haven't already tried it). I haven't personally tried the diffusers, but the calming treats i have tried and they work wonders

2) i would pay attention to his body language, and see if there are signs of agitation while you guys are having your cuddle sessions. cats can easily get or feel irritated, or over stimulated. there usually are some warning signs your cat will give you before he/she acts out. try to watch his ears to see if they are slicked back or flattened, the sudden flickering of the tail or the tip of the tail could also indicate he's feeling annoyed or over stimulated. when you notice these signs i suggest you move away from him, stop petting him, and just leave him be.

3) pay close attention to whether or not there are any stray cats in your neighborhood, or around your apartment. the stray cats could be causing your cat to freak out. seeing something outside could make him feel very scared, or aggressive, and then your cat might be experiencing redirected aggression where he takes it out on you. please invest in some interactive cat toys, like da bird, a laser pointer...something he can chase, and tire him out when he seems like he's in a dark mood and looks like he's gonna attack you. distract him and tire him out....reward him for NOT attacking you by feeding him or giving him treats after your play session

4) which brings me to my next point, please do not EVER feed your cat when he attacks you...because you might think he is attacking your because he's hungry...you will be reinforcing the bad behavior. Your little guy will learn that him attacking you = food. if you feel like he's attacking you because he want's snacks? no. that's not it. i'm sure you already knew that tho.

5) since he is in a new place, something unfamiliar to him, I would recommend keeping him to one room, with his litter toys food and fresh water available to him. He needs to assimilate to a new place, and he doesn't seem to be so comfortable where he's at, as he is hiding all the time. keep him to one room for now...and open the door and let him explore on his own if he wants. I have two cats, one of the cats is very social, and he loves to venture out and about the house and interact with everyone. my other cat, is a typical scaredy cat, she still refuses to leave my bedroom.

i hope this helps you...and i hope others chime in with more advise. remember the most important thing is to be patient!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zyflybye1201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you those are very helpful tips i will need to try those asap. Cause i dont want to get rid of him, i rescused him as a stray 5 week old kitten. And i cant imagine him gone. So thank you! :)