Super Cat
Purraise
I think it was Fox News

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Always use a no kill shelter/rescue. Lots of folks rescue, some cats, dogs, etc. others species specific. But still are usually out of a house.
Be careful

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area with limited rescues. They are small and there is no way to follow up and see if it's a hoarding situation. One that started up near me probably was one of those. So I have to drive to a city and pay a large fee and they notify me when the animal has been adopted. Plus I lurk on the webpage.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area with limited rescues. They are small and there is no way to follow up and see if it's a hoarding situation. One that started up near me probably was one of those. So I have to drive to a city and pay a large fee and they notify me when the animal has been adopted. Plus I lurk on the webpage.
Yep my nearest is 25 miles. They are a no kill supported..kinda reluctantly…by the county. A few years back they were a kill place…14,000 in 5 years! The major ones are 40 and 70 miles. However, I’m not aware that they charge for relinquish…of course living in the county…as you know mine all come free from the local farmers who don’t neuter or spay. When they get too many they break out the 22…just sad… but as forest Gump was fond to say…you can’t fix stupid

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A local rescue here was shut down recently for dirty conditions. I don't recall any dead animals at least. A few of our customers had adopted from there and mentioned it was far from clean or sanitary. What sucks is I remember when this rescue actually started. They were good hearted people who were a foster home ring, no building, just all done out of their homes. I think they got overwhelmed very quickly because it's very hard to turn away an animal in need. They eventually built a small building and it went downhill. It's just so sad.

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. I think so too. It's too much work. You need a decent size group of people to run an animal shelter.

That's why I only keep the unadoptable ones, so I don't have too many cats in the house. The only reason I don't get overrun is the farmers use the .22 and they really like to have cats otherwise.

I try to remember that things are a lot better nowadays than they used to be.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. I think so too. It's too much work. You need a decent size group of people to run an animal shelter.

That's why I only keep the unadoptable ones, so I don't have too many cats in the house. The only reason I don't get overrun is the farmers use the .22 and they really like to have cats otherwise.

I try to remember that things are a lot better nowadays than they used to be.
Yes, I don’t know how the shelter folks do it. Low or no pay, adoptive returns for stupid reasons, animal mistreatment. Some of the stories coming out of rescue 1 in Springfield Missouri make me cry. What else is odd to me is that they do rescues, shelter, etc within the city and receive no support that I know of…now that’s just sad. If I lived there I’d be at that city council meeting showing them how much they save the city in animal cost.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I don’t know how the shelter folks do it. Low or no pay, adoptive returns for stupid reasons, animal mistreatment. Some of the stories coming out of rescue 1 in Springfield Missouri make me cry. What else is odd to me is that they do rescues, shelter, etc within the city and receive no support that I know of…now that’s just sad. If I lived there I’d be at that city council meeting showing them how much they save the city in animal cost.
It is. Some of the returns or surrenders are inevitable (aka, "s*** happens") but some of the stuff is just stupid. I would imagine compassion fatigue and possibly suicide rates are very high for the workers. I know I couldn't do it.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is. Some of the returns or surrenders are inevitable (aka, "s*** happens") but some of the stuff is just stupid. I would imagine compassion fatigue and possibly suicide rates are very high for the workers. I know I couldn't do it.
I just can’t imagine the effect on the poor animal not to mention those poor babies that have been in the shelters over 1/2 their lives with no chance on placement because everyone wants puppies or kittens. I have a friend who works at a pet store…they get upwards of $3000 for some puppy breeds….I know many come from puppy mills. The customers have to get loans to afford them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just can’t imagine the effect on the poor animal not to mention those poor babies that have been in the shelters over 1/2 their lives with no chance on placement because everyone wants puppies or kittens. I have a friend who works at a pet store…they get upwards of $3000 for some puppy breeds….I know many come from puppy mills. The customers have to get loans to afford them.
IMO if they're in a pet store, they're from mills. (Excluding places like PetSmart that work with shelters and donate extra space for adoptables, which I think is really a great idea!)
I have a puppy mill dog (he's a rescue.) He's the smartest dog I've ever had, and the most loyal and just a naturally well behaved dog (plus, he LOVES cats.) He's been the easiest dog to train. He's won titles, performance championships, you name it. But his health has been a nightmare for the past few years. I often wonder what his mom and dad were like and how hellish their lives were, and how lucky my special little guy was to get out of there.
I did an embark breed DNA test on him for fun. He's a carrier of von willibrands disease (good thing I didn't decide to casually stud him out to another carrier.) He also showed liver activity (he's had liver problems for awhile.) His co-efficient of inbreeding (how inbred he is) is 31%. Good breeders prefer 5%, 10% max from what I understand. My dog is seriously inbred. No wonder my poor little buddy has such bad health. I will never buy at a pet store, ever. I don't give a damn how clean it is or how cute the puppies are. I'm with you on that sentiment for sure. If I were a breeder of puppies or kittens, the last thing I would ever consider doing is shipping them off to a store at 6 weeks old so they can be sold to God knows who for God knows what reason.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
6 weeks is way to young to be separated from mom. 12 weeks is the absolute minimum. For congested shelters I can understand a bit earlier but still, chances are high they will have attachment or behaviour issues. They haven't learned bite or scratch inhibition yet for one thing.

Indy never learned it because she was a rescue, I always know when the claw caps need to be reapplied. A simple caress from her results in a bleeding scratch.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, puppy mills. Don’t get me started. Missouri and northern arkansas lead the country in puppy mills. I rescued a poodle from one in Arkansas a few years ago poor baby never was right. Overbite, legs too long and a psychotic temperament. The “breeder” using the word loosely, said she thought she could breed a toy to a miniature and get lots of each size! I found the poor little guy kept under the crawl space of her house. As I took him I told her don’t you EVER do that again! She should have been arrested!