This explains a lot!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer (or Inkwire if you're from Philly)   ;)

CATS appear to view us as larger and clumsier felines rather than as a different species, says behaviorist John Bradshaw in an interview with National Geographic. The author of "Cat Sense" says that unlike dogs, who perceive humans as being different from themselves and change their behavior in consequence, cats don't change their social behavior much when they interact with us. "Putting their tails up in the air, rubbing around our legs, and sitting beside us and grooming us are exactly what cats do to each other."

So, according to the article, cats really do think we're cats (albeit funny looking cats).  Cool!

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also read this. Alaina must think I'm a huge, deformed, oaf-like, ugly kitty (no wonder she always backs away from the door when I finish showering - wet kitty smell 
) She doesn't rub my legs, but she'll jump on my shoulders and lick me from head to toe. I've gotten used to the "washcloth" feeling.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I read (and liked) his book, but I'm not so sure about that claim, since a lot of cats are very vocal with humans, but not other cats. I've noticed they tend to "talk" to dogs, too, so they're aware of a difference in species.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read some where that when a dog barks and we answer with "woof," they think - "Wow, she speaks dog!"

When a cat meows and we answer, the cat thinks "What a barbarian.  She can't even speak cat correctly."

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I read some where that when a dog barks and we answer with "woof," they think - "Wow, she speaks dog!"

When a cat meows and we answer, the cat thinks "What a barbarian.  She can't even speak cat correctly."
Funny!

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So true! I do a perfect (to my ears) trill. But the look on cats' faces when I do my "perfect" trill, priceless; a cross between humor and terror!
How funny if they view us as large, clumsy cats.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So true! I do a perfect (to my ears) trill. But the look on cats' faces when I do my "perfect" trill, priceless; a cross between humor and terror!
How funny if they view us as large, clumsy cats.
LOLOLOLOLLL

My cats look at me funny too when i try to meow to them...they just look at me like..."mom shuttup...just stop"

They're more responsive when i talk normally to them (by normal i mean my baby voice speaking english)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my outdoor ferals, Stellar comes running meowing to me when I call him by meowing over and over.  He is usually hiding in some bushes and when I call to him first with his name and then by meowing, he will run out meowing the entire way.  It is so sweet.  He is my only cat that meows over and over and over to me. 

My stray/feral that I brought into the house, Marvin, makes a meeping sound.  It is so strange.  He never makes a sound that is anywhere near a meow.  It's a very short, "meep" .  He does it when he comes into a room, whenever he gets up onto a piece of furniture and when he thinks he is left alone.  Sometimes it's just one meep and other times it's over and over.  We call him Meepers more often than Marvin!

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting theory, for sure! But my resident cat gets along with humans (or at least with me) then with the 6 month kitty.

I've known to say that I don't meow back of cats because I am unusure of what I am saying, for all I know I am greatly offending them!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i definitely agree with the article that @Ondine  quoted, I think cats just look at us as giant cats. giant & stupid, unclean (cus we don't "groom" ourselves) cats!

i sometimes lick the tip of my finger and wipe it on my kitty, like his/her head or neck...a place where they cant easily get it off!! haha. kinda like i'm grooming them!

Charlie gets really annoyed when i do this. he looks at me like "stupid head. y u do dis...
"

Jet just looks at me all confused...then she'll chirp and purr. i think she likes it. i don't know. i think she gets that i'm grooming her to leave my scent on her and that i like her. lolololll

Charlie's going through his teenage phase now, he just hates everything and everyone. He hates life and wants to be left alone. He's too cool for everyone.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie's going through his teenage phase now, he just hates everything and everyone. He hates life and wants to be left alone. He's too cool for everyone.
LOL! Zoonotic teenage-itis! That's one thing that seems the same no matter what the species.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

LOL! Zoonotic teenage-itis! That's one thing that seems the same no matter what the species.
LOL TELL ME ABOUT IT! 

He used to let me carry him and swaddle him and walk around the whole house while carrying him like a baby, while he looked over my arm and rubbed his face and head on my shoulder. now he just gives me that stare like "don't even think about it. i hate you, stay 20 ft away from me unless you have food, but i'll be keeping my appointment of stepping all over you and eating your hair and demanding pets at 5 am. no need to reschedule. EVER"