This Beginner Needs Some Help!

tortoiselover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
This is my very first post! I didn't know what category to put this in so I just chose the most popular one!!! :) I want a cat and I need to know some basic training/things i need to know when I get one(domestic shorthair) Btw I've never had a cat or a dog before...so I'll need some major help
Questions:
How does a litter box even work and how do you train ur cat to use it?
How to not let your cat scratch couches, curtains etc(I'M NEVER DECLAWING)
Can my cat get along with my tortoise?(he's like 3 inches long and lives in a glass container)
My house has a doggie door, can my cat use that or do I need a cat flap?
Any other basic info would be appreciated!!!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats already know how to use the litterbox unless you're getting a newborn. Just keep him in a single room with the litterbox for a day and he'lll figure it out.

You have to get him appropriate scratching posts and tell him "no" when he does scratch inappropriate items and put him in front of his post. Praise him and give him treats when he does use the post. Most cats love sisal based posts. It's the ropey stuff. Make sure it's about 3 feet so he can get a nice stretch when he scratches. It should also be sturdy so it doesn't topple over. He can use a doggie door but make sure you put flea medication on him every month if he's going outside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I sure hope some of the staff on this site come to your rescue - they have a ton of articles that they can share with you and they will all be helpful and informative.

I can't add personal experience for a kitten, as all my cats were at least 6 mos old when I got them. And, based on this forum, I got lucky and kind of 'tripped' my way through the learning curve - which BTW, there is a new curve with each individual cat!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
and bless your heart for coming here and asking questions to prepare yourself - you ROCK :thumbsup:

The doggie door should work - is this into your enclosed back yard?

The litterbox is, as mentioned, typically used by every cat every time. You fill the box with a litter that's hopefully not very dusty, and it will require maintenance on your part of daily removing the poop and (if it's clumping litter) the pee clumps.

Here are some articles - they aren't long but have good info and tips.
When the big day comes, let us know and definitely give us pictures :heartshape:

Cats And Pet Reptiles

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture

Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

How To Choose The Best Name For Your New Cat

How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I recommend watching some Jackson Galaxy videos, he lets you undersrand how to “think like a cat” - this means not staring into their eyes (some cats think this is aggressive), taking time to let them come to you first to build trust, and try to cat proof the house ... cats love tall things they can climb on like cat trees.

Congrats on a fun first step!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on taking the first steps to become a great cat parent! Yay! I am so happy to hear that you have no plans on declawing your cat. Do you have to let your cat outside? While some people are fine with indoor/outdoor cats, I just cannot imagine taking the risk of letting mine out unsupervised. (I am not saying people should not let their cats out. I, personally, think it is too risky to let a cat come and go.)

As others have said, cats tend to take to litter boxes pretty easily. I have cared for several young kittens and have never had an issue with them knowing what to do. I swear by Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal. Not the Slide style, just the regular Clump and Seal for multi-cat households. I personally have nine cats and have a very sensitive sense of smell. We have four litter boxes that we scoop once or twice a day. Everyone who has come to my home since we switched has commented about the lack of cat smell in the house.

For scratching have scratching post, have horizontal scratching pads, have your vet teach you how to trim its nails, and, if you need to, get deterent spray. They sell it in any pet store.

As for your tortoise, does his home have a lid? If not, can you get one? Chances are your tortoise would be fine, yet I would be concerned that it would bite the cat or pass along salmonella. We have a spider that our cats watch but never bother. The worse she would do is shoot urticating hairs at them if she felt scared; however, we would rather keep her and the cats safe from any discomfort.

Do you have a vet selected? Does that vet spay/neuter? Is there a spay/neuter clinic near you?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One major thing I noticed no one else posted. Indoor plants. There are many indoor plants that are extremely toxic to cats. Make sure that the plants you have (if any) are safe. There are some that will kill them.
Also, when preparing food, onion and garlic are toxic.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One major thing I noticed no one else posted. Indoor plants. There are many indoor plants that are extremely toxic to cats. Make sure that the plants you have (if any) are safe. There are some that will kill them.
Also, when preparing food, onion and garlic are toxic.
:yeah:

Here are some lists of toxic plants and foods to bookmark or print out:

People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets
Animal Poison Control

Your cat will need routine vet care. Find a vet now so you don't have to look for one later. Ask other pet owners for recommendations. Most cats need just a yearly annual visit and vaccinations.

Your entire home needs to be cat-proofed top to bottom as much as possible. Think along the lines of baby-proofing: household cleaners and chemical behind secured closed doors, no dangling plugged in electrical cords to tempt a cat, all medicines (OTC and prescription) locked away behind closed doors, keep the toilet lid down at all times, make sure the kitchen trash can has a secure lid or place it somewhere where the cat can't get inside of it and dig around for food, etc.

Do you know what age of cat you would want? Since this is your first cat ever, I highly recommend NOT getting a kitten unless you have tons of patience to deal with the constant mischief, extreme zoomies, and proper discipline. Kittens are A LOT of work and if you don't have the time for constant play time and attention, you should not get a kitten. An adult cat works best as they are usually set in their ways and don't cause as much trouble. They still need daily attention and playtime and such but not as much as a kitten.

Cats are much safer indoors than outdoors. A newly adopted cat shouldn't be let outside right away anyways since the likelihood of it getting lost and never returning is high. Can you block off the doggie door? Some people do allow their cats outdoor time but only on a leash and harness or in a pet stroller or they have an outdoor catio. These may be something you can do once your new cat has settled in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
tortoiselover tortoiselover : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: It's good to see a future feline "parent" doing research before adopting a cat. What made you decide that you want a cat? Have you lived with cats before?

TCS has tons of articles that will address pretty much any question you may have. But for starters, here's 15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
:petcat: