Third Eyelids Showing???

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
EA6A0E2B-A825-432F-AE4D-D5DD690913EC.jpeg
Hey guys so one of my rescues’ eyes have been funky these past few days, I’ve been putting Terramycin on his eyes twice a day to help and it’s off and on that they stick. Is it just because of this horrible humid weather (it gets very sticky in our apartment)? His brother’s one eye got pretty red and irritated before his started getting funky and I’ve been giving him Terramycin as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Third eyelids showing doesnt necessarily mean the issue is with their eyes, it can mean there are other health issues, or so I've been told. Is he displaying any other issues that might indicate he isn't feeling well? Lethargy, not eating or drinking, that type of thing? Have you consulted with your Vet? I would definitely run this past a Vet. Honestly I don't think humidity has anything to do with it.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat can show the third eyelid when it is exceedingly comfortable & content, as well as when it has health issues. When that eyelid shows, it signifies a "place" they go to in their minds where they are comfortable, or more comfortable.... in my opinion.

Unless my browser failed to load properly, there's no explanation as to when you see this eyelid -- it is all the time? ...when he/she's being petted? during belly rubs? Does he/she show other health problems?

If he/she shows other problems (not eating/drinking, lethargic, litter box issues.... etc.), you should talk to a vet. If the eyelid shows when he/she's relaxed, I wouldn't worry about it...

Cats can also show that eyelid when they are half-asleep and dreaming.

All this is my opinion, based on my experiences & beliefs, of course, so, if you have ANY concerns, you should talk to a vet and, perhaps, make an appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for never responding I honestly forgot I posted here. It kind of just happens randomly and it’s not all the time, my one kitten Elizabeth also has it happen to her occasionally but that’s extremely rare and doesn’t happen often. I just dropped him off to get neutered but when he’s back home I’ll keep a closer eye on when it happens. Doesn’t seem to affect him at all and he doesn’t have any noticeable health issues other than he has roundworm but those shouldn’t be linked other than dehydration caused by the worms. He gets dewormer for the roundworm by the way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A third eyelid showing usually means an illness or an infection somewhere. Usually accompanying lethargy, loss of appetite and signs of being sick. Did he dispaly any of these? My vet will give an antibiotic and a steroid injection when my cats have this.

Buckeyecatmom68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for never responding I honestly forgot I posted here. It kind of just happens randomly and it’s not all the time, my one kitten Elizabeth also has it happen to her occasionally but that’s extremely rare and doesn’t happen often. I just dropped him off to get neutered but when he’s back home I’ll keep a closer eye on when it happens. Doesn’t seem to affect him at all and he doesn’t have any noticeable health issues other than he has roundworm but those shouldn’t be linked other than dehydration caused by the worms. He gets dewormer for the roundworm by the way.
My 2 male kittens have had this problem with their third eyelid covering half their eyes ever since I had them neutered! The vet seems stumped as to why it is happening, other that it could be caused by worms because he said it is neurological. He says he remembers being taught that back in school. Other people have said their cats had an infection whenever this happened.