Third eyelids showing slightly—is this a health issue or normal?

nymeria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I've been looking into getting an older kitten from a breeder. This breeder is registered with CFA + ACFA, does health testing, hand raises the kittens, etc, for all intent and purposes seems very responsible.

I have one question though and I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or not.

They have an older kitten I'm interested in and I see that in most of the cat's photos, the third eyelid is showing slightly in both eyes. I then looked at her previous litters and queen+king and they all look this way in several photos—a little bit of their third eyelid is covering their iris, not wide enough to cover the pupil, but enough that I can see it.

I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into this or if its a bad sign? When I google "third eyelid showing" theres a number of websites that say it might be a health issue, or it might mean that they just woke up from a nap. Does anyone know if this is a cause for concern or not?

Thanks so much!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get a photo to show the extent. One of mine has a slight third eyelid visible but no health issues. My vet told me that if the third eyelid is showing (significantly) then the cat either has an issue or is just recovering from one.