Third Eyelid In 11 Week Old Kitten Is Showing

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I foster for a small rescue group and last Sunday two of the kittens were playing and the female let out a yowl and when I looked over she was squinting one eye like she got scratched. I thought nothing of it as she went back to playing and acting normal. Later that evening I noticed on that same eye her third eye lid was showing. Not much just by the corner I would say not even a quarter covering the eye and it did not seem to bother her at all. It was not runny or did not look infected. Well 3 days later its still visible. She's acting totally normal. Eating playing not rubbing it at all and they eye itself looks healthy(no goobers) except for in the corner the third eyelid is still showing. If it seemed to be bothering her or her eye looked infected I would take her to the vet right away but since the group is a small rescue and funds are tight I don't want to bring her to the vet if this is something that could go away on its own. I've never seen this and was hoping someone else here has and could offer advise on how long this could take to heal?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Knowing the situation, I am still obligated to say that a vet is the best course of action. That said, many rescues I know of keep some Terramycin on hand (where local laws allow). It is a broad spectrum antibiotic eye ointment and commonly used for minor eye related injuries or infections. If your rescue does have access to that it may be beneficial in this case. But do mind local laws in it's usage, I know some states allow it while others don't. Otherwise, a warm dry compress may help alleviate any swelling assuming you can get a kitten to sit still long enough for that.

There is a chance it is unrelated; I assume she's been dewormed? She could also have a kitty cold. But if it is justjthe one eye it is more likely an eye injury situation.

Of course if it doesn't get better within the week or other symptoms show she probably should see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Knowing the situation, I am still obligated to say that a vet is the best course of action. That said, many rescues I know of keep some Terramycin on hand (where local laws allow). It is a broad spectrum antibiotic eye ointment and commonly used for minor eye related injuries or infections. If your rescue does have access to that it may be beneficial in this case. But do mind local laws in it's usage, I know some states allow it while others don't. Otherwise, a warm dry compress may help alleviate any swelling assuming you can get a kitten to sit still long enough for that.

There is a chance it is unrelated; I assume she's been dewormed? She could also have a kitty cold. But if it is justjthe one eye it is more likely an eye injury situation.

Of course if it doesn't get better within the week or other symptoms show she probably should see a vet.
Yes she has been wormed. Its highly unlikely its unrelated as the other eye is fine and there are no other symptoms.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The third eyelid definitely indicates an injury to the eye, it wouldn't be showing if all was well. Try the warm compresses with a weak solution of boric acid after calling the vet and asking. He shouldn't make you bring the kitten in if you tell him the kitten is acting normal and there is no tearing, discharge, redness or swelling. If no improvement in a week or if a discharge starts, then bring him in. a call costs nothing and most are willing to help over the phone, you could bring in a picture or E-mail one from your phone.