Third Eyelid and vomit

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who is about 7 years old had a pretty big hairball yesterday. It was the first time that he has had one in the 1.5 years he has been with me. I noticed either yesterday or the day before that his third eyelids have been covering his eyes about halfway up. He has no other symptoms of eye issues. About 20 minutes ago, he started yowling like he does when he is annoyed and then he threw up. It was watery with a little bit of mostly digested food. He usually keeps to himself but he has been hanging around me more than usual over the last few days which makes me think he is sick.

I did recently take in two kittens (foster fails) but he gets along with them and doesn't seem too stressed by them. They have not been to the vet yet because they do not have an appointment available for about another month. They seem perfectly healthy, were born and have lived inside, and never had any contact with any pets other than their mother and my cats who are fully vaccinated and healthy.

My cat hasn't really had a change to his diet and I don't know of anything that he could have gotten into. He is still eating, drinking, and using the litter box as much as usual. Is it ok to wait it out for a day or two and see if he starts feeling a bit better or do you think this is an emergency? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd personally take him in as soon as possible. Everything could be a huge coincidence or it could be something serious. I haven't had that exact experience but usually when my cats are sick enough to want to stay close, they are sick enough to need to see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I will take him in the morning when they open. I'm hoping it is nothing or that is is just like a stomach bug we would get that will go away in a day or two. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Third eyelid exposure is not always an eye problem. Good idea to take him in for a vet check.