Third Eye Showing In 1 Eye.

Umbreon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!

I recently took my cat to the vet this past Saturday for a check up because he's been sleeping a lot more than usual and acting lethargic, vet couldn't find anything wrong with him, it's now Monday and one of his eyes his TE is showing a bit, he is eating normal and using the litter and still grooms himself. Should I wait a few more days to see if it clears up?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my cats had this my vet said it was because they were unwell or had been unwell. As you have been concerned enough to visit your vets I would give him a ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umbreon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cats had this my vet said it was because they were unwell or had been unwell. As you have been concerned enough to visit your vets I would give him a ring.

What did your vet end up saying what wrong?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing specific. It is not a symptom of a particular illness. It can be anything that makes them feel unwell or off colour.

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"one of his eyes his TE is showing a bit" - sorry, I don't know what TE is??? Could someone please enlighten me? Thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think TE stands for third eye. If you Google third eye symptoms it lists worms..infection...wound and other causes that it could be. Maybe someone else on the site will have experience of it.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet and I do not understand what you mean by "third eye". Do you mean that your cat's third eyelid is coming across it's eyes?

A third eyelid appearing is a non specific sign that occurs when the cat is not well, or it may simply mean that the cat is not feeling comfortable. It is NOT diagnostic of worms nor infections and its appearance is usually only significant if it involves both eyes. In other words if the third eyelid comes across the eyes it suggests that there is something wrong, possibly minor or possibly serious, and you should discuss the matter with your vet.

If the vet is not too concerned, and the third eyelid is only showing a little bit, as you indicate, then the management is to wait and see how your cat goes over the next few days. However if the cat appears to be becoming ill, then you should contact your vet immediately.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. Thank you for that! I think I'm familiar with it after all! My children had ponies and they have an extra eyelid too, which only showed up when they had an injury!