Thinning fur

Ariess2113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for an older cat to have thinning fur?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the thinning equally all over the body, or just in certain locations? If not all over, where is the thinning occurring? Is there anything else going on that is unusual for your cat? How old is your cat?

There are a lot of possible reasons for hair thinning, such as allergies, endocrine disorders (e.g.; diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc.), flea infestations, nutritional deficiencies, and so on. While it could be just related to old age, most times there is an underlying reason which likely stems from the aging process.

If your cat hasn't seen a vet recently for a check up and blood work, that might be a good place to start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariess2113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it is equally thinning on her whole body, no one is positive about her age she walked into my house one winter evening about 6 years ago all the vet could tell me is she was more than 5 years old,but at her yearly check up she had started to show signs of dementia so they put her about 13 she is dur for her next appointment in January

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there are no other signs of a potential health issue - besides possible dementia, and the thinning hair - you could probably just ask the vet about it during her next check up. The thing is nutritional deficiencies, as well other health conditions, can also 'mimic' dementia.

Keep a close eye on her for other changes, as well as monitoring the thinning to see if it continues to get worse.

I take it that she wasn't showing hair thinning at the time of her last check up? It is relatively commonplace for a cat of that age to have semi-annual check ups. If she doesn't go that often, you might call and ask the vet if she should, and tell them about the hair thinning while you are at it - just to be on the 'safe side'.

Ariess2113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not realise she should be going twice a year my last elder cat went every 2 months because she had kidney failure and I was giving her sailen under her skin so she had blood work every other month. Nameless (cure thinning kitty) was at the vet in January of this year and other than the bouts of confusion got a clean bill of health I have noticed the thinning fur slowly over the past few months no bald spots or anything just general thinning if that makes sense I will be calling the vet to see if I can get her in befor January

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, I'm glad you're going to get her in to the vet sooner :)
Is she eating the same amount, and using the litterbox the same?
Is she getting canned food?

Ariess2113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats the same and her litter box habits have not changed I fear her time is coming to and end sooner than I would like she has been a bit more how to put it testy with her fur siblings ever her bonded brother but looking for more affection from her human sissy and myself even gose to her dad who she's never been a huge fan off and I got her in to see the vet next week so I guess we will see how it gose

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She eats the same and her litter box habits have not changed I fear her time is coming to and end sooner than I would like she has been a bit more how to put it testy with her fur siblings ever her bonded brother but looking for more affection from her human sissy and myself even gose to her dad who she's never been a huge fan off and I got her in to see the vet next week so I guess we will see how it gose
Don't 'write her off' just yet! An illness - many of which can be resolved - could explain her being testy to her siblings and more affectionate toward humans. Cats that aren't feeling their best often react in manners such as this.

Best of luck at the vets, and wishes/hopes for a good outcome!!