Thinking Of Switching My Kitty Children To Raw At Some Point, Would Love Input!

kkienzle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have two young felines, ages five and nine months. They're on a half and half diet more or less (half wet, half dry). Both are grain free good quality foods. I suppose I'm more or less curious as to the pros/cons of eventually possibly transitioning them both to what would be considered a more "raw" based diet. Honestly I know little about it besides a few facts. Is it more cost effective than premium canned wet such as Merrick, Natural Balance, Taste Of The Wild...etc? Thanks in advance for the help and support!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
​Hi, I very much encourage you to make the switch. I did that about 3 years ago and would never go back to kibble or canned. Yes, if you make your own raw it saves tons of money over premium canned.

When I started I began with commercial raw (primal chubs to which I added nutrients) Then I started ordering from www.hare-today and that continued for 2 years , I also supplemented with freeze dried raw. I still  order ground rabbit from HT, also organs  but I bought a grinder and make much of the food which saves more money.

The pro's to raw feeding area  many, health of course, you can feel confident in the quality of the food you feed, the litter boxes NEVER smell, no more hairballs, shiny coat .

Do your research before you begin.There are many ways to do it and you need to find what works for you. Of course, you also want to do it right. I have two sites to suggest that have a lot of info.

www.catinfo.org this is Lisa Pierson DVM, she explains it so well. I use her recipe a lot and then www.feline-nutrition.org they have a great easy recipe for beginners. Both of these sites are very helpful. I hope you do go raw. You will be glad you did.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The only con I can see to switching is that it takes a little more time than opening a bag and pouring out food. 
Unless you buy commerical raw cat food
Commerical raw is the easiest way to start a raw diet but a small bag typically costs about the same as an entire case of premium canned food. Freeze dried raw foods and dehydrated raw foods don't take up space in the freezer like frozen and homemade raw foods do.

bengalbabies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only con I have is having to make their food. I feed my cats homemade Raw chicken. They absolutely love it. 

Coats are shinny and extremely soft, dental hygiene is amazing, no vet bills for health issues, their stools are TINY and never smell. I have 4 liter boxes in my house. Never ever smells. I don't use scented liter either. I use pine pellets which have virtually no scent. 

Heres a link to the video of how I Raw feed my babies, prep, and recipe:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/331809/raw-diet-what-are-you-ingredients-proportions

Last edited by a moderator: