Thinking of getting new Kitten, how to introduce to territorial older cat?

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After the loss of our hamsters, we are thinking of getting another pet. Originally we were thinking dog, but my dad doesn't have a job so a dog would be far too expensive: The adoption fee, the supplies, etc. I then decided that we should get another cat, because there's lots of free kitties, and we already have all the supplies. We also have a cat already, she is turning 8 in 6 days and is extremely territorial. We've tried to introduce kitties in the past and it always ends up in hissing. But, the "method" we used was DEAD WRONG.

We tried
  • Introducing them while taking the kitten's side and not giving either treats
  • Let them interact on their own but if they fight only punish older cat
Sounds horrible, right? I'm dying to find a good method. Any ideas?

*Older cat has absolutely no interest in playing so please do not post anything that introduces them with play or toys.

gemmamiso

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a new kitten yesterday and am working on introducing him to my 1 1/2 year old cat! Other people here have told me how slow the introduction process can be, but if done right, the cats will probably get along. You should have a room for the kitten to be in that the resident cat can't get into. For the first few days, try scent swapping so the older cat will get used to the kitten's scent. After a few days of that, you could try letting them see eachother, and eventually spend time together in the same room! I'll post the articles that people showed me. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Also, here's somebody's story of  getting their resident cat and new kitten to get along: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/306236/gradual-introductions-work

bellavolpi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you introduce a new cat to your home, you must keep them in seperate room for about 3 days and let them get used to each others smell through the door.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the loss of our hamsters, we are thinking of getting another pet. Originally we were thinking dog, but my dad doesn't have a job so a dog would be far too expensive: The adoption fee, the supplies, etc. I then decided that we should get another cat, because there's lots of free kitties, and we already have all the supplies. We also have a cat already, she is turning 8 in 6 days and is extremely territorial. We've tried to introduce kitties in the past and it always ends up in hissing. But, the "method" we used was DEAD WRONG.
We tried
  • Introducing them while taking the kitten's side and not giving either treats
  • Let them interact on their own but if they fight only punish older cat

Sounds horrible, right? I'm dying to find a good method. Any ideas?

*Older cat has absolutely no interest in playing so please do not post anything that introduces them with play or toys.
You may be able to find a free cat, but do you feel like you have the money to provide vet care? As I'm sure you know, there are often emergencies. Can you afford to spay, neuter, vaccinate and take care of any urgent costs? You would need to pay for two cats now.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to find a free cat, but do you feel like you have the money to provide vet care? As I'm sure you know, there are often emergencies. Can you afford to spay, neuter, vaccinate and take care of any urgent costs? You would need to pay for two cats now.
I was thinking along the same bent. My kitten wasn't free, but at a year old we are already 1200 dollars into vet costs on her. She came to us already spayed and with her first two sets of shots so these were not part of the costs. This can happen with any kitten. A kitten will need several sets of vaccines, microchipping, spay/nueter at the very least. In my kitten's case she had a respiratory infection and then later had to have a surgery to have two of her claws removed as they were growing into her feet and we couldn't clip them well enough since they were too thick and it hurt her to have them clipped.

Also a kitten is not an appropriate companion for an older cat and especially not one that has turned down kittens in the past. Kittens are too rowdy and want to play all the time. Your older cat doesn't want to play so a kitten will drive her crazy since it will annoy her wanting to play with her. 

If you do decide to go forward, which I really don't recommend, you'll need to do a very slow introduction to get her to be okay with a new kitten. Keep them separate and unable to see each other for several days. Then switch their blankets or beds. See how the older cat responds to the kitten's smell. Once she stops hissing or reacting negatively at the smell you can start feeding them on opposite sides of a closed door. After days of this without any reaction from the older cat, then use a dog gate to block the door and feed them on either side of this so they can get used to the sight of each other. Only after the older cat is able to approach the kitten and eat near it with the kitten visible should you let them be together supervised in a room. Play with the kitten to keep it distracted while the older cat watches. Give the older cat treats or rewards when the kitten is around. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I should add this, but we are planning not  to spay. That's because the newbie will be an indoor-only cat, which also reduces the risk of getting sick/injured.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know if I should add this, but we are planning not  to spay. That's because the newbie will be an indoor-only cat, which also reduces the risk of getting sick/injured.
This will not work. Female cats go into heat all of the time. They get life threatening diseases because they are not spayed including cancers and pyometra- which is an infection caused by a cat going into heat too many times. A male cat will begin to spray and pee everywhere becoming 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I should add this, but we are planning not to spay. That's because the newbie will be an indoor-only cat, which also reduces the risk of getting sick/injured.
Yes, this is not wise. There are large risks and chances are she will get out. She will also not acclimate to your house or your resident cat if she is hormonal and territorial.

If you can't afford a new dog, a litter of kittens is going to be far too expensive.

Why is this your plan?

Last edited:

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't own any males and the reason why Lightning Mcqueen (I am obsessed with Cars XD) is being kept indoors is because there are cats outside that could hurt her (Remember that incident with Fluffy being tortured and forced to mate; and the one where Minka was attacked) So it's not safe for her to be outdoors. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if she is inside all of the time she should be spayed. Cats that are not spayed just face too many risks. If the cat develops pyometra which is extremely likely if allowed to go into heat over and over. You'll likely pay tons of emergency fees to get her in for what is basically an emergency spay, but will cost way more. Unspayed cats make terrible house pets since they just want to mate and their hormones drive them insane. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I should add this, but we are planning not to spay. That's because the newbie will be an indoor-only cat, which also reduces the risk of getting sick/injured.

We don't own any males and the reason why Lightning Mcqueen (I am obsessed with Cars XD) is being kept indoors is because there are cats outside that could hurt her (Remember that incident with Fluffy being tortured and forced to mate; and the one where Minka was attacked) So it's not safe for her to be outdoors. 
novathekittycat novathekittycat

While I agree that keeping cats indoors helps keep them safe from harm, choosing not to spay your cat will only do her harm. Female cats go into Heat and escape from their houses all the time (and come back pregnant, if they come back)! And when a female cat is in heat they will do anything to get outside.

You will also have male cats prowling around your house and spraying/peeing all over everything because they can smell that there is an intact female in heat inside the house.

In addition, unspayed females often develop Pyometra, which a deadly uterine infection caused by the cat going through too many repeated heat cycles.

And as someone already said on here- it is cheaper to spay the cat than to pay for emergency surgery.

There are TONS of low cost spay/neuter clinics you can take your kitty for a low cost spay or neuter. There are several users on this site that can help you find one in your area.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Lightning the new kitten or the resident? I really, really urge you to reconsider. An intact cat will not ever be willing to share its space, and the risk of illness and, frankly, emergency, is high.

What is your objection?

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Lightning the new kitten or the resident? I really, really urge you to reconsider. An intact cat will not ever be willing to share its space, and the risk of illness and, frankly, emergency, is high.

What is your objection?
Lightning is the newbie. Minka is the resident feline. And I was really hoping for a female, but the person that I am getting the kitty from is out of females. We are getting a male instead. We've had not neutered males before, that scent smells awful. We are getting him neutered :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lightning is the newbie. Minka is the resident feline. And I was really hoping for a female, but the person that I am getting the kitty from is out of females. We are getting a male instead. We've had not neutered males before, that scent smells awful. We are getting him neutered :)
I'm glad you're getting him neutered. Is Minka spayed?
Have you thought about how you can make Minka happier in your home with the new kitten?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat goes into heat and there are no males in the house to give her what she needs, she WILL find a way outside to get that elsewhere. Please reconsider spaying her.

My cats are also indoor only so I do agree with you wholeheartedly about that one

The article that @gemmamiso gave you the link to in regards to introducing cats to each other is really good.

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're getting him neutered. Is Minka spayed?
Have you thought about how you can make Minka happier in your home with the new kitten?
Yes Minka is spayed. We just got Lightning McQueen last night, and I'm keeping him in my room. She actually snuck into my room last night, and they did fight :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Minka is spayed. We just got Lightning McQueen last night, and I'm keeping him in my room. She actually snuck into my room last night, and they did fight :(
I hope that you will prioritize Minka's comfort. This is going to be a very difficult introduction for her.

How old is the kitten?

novathekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got Lightning McQueen, a gorgeous male tabby kitten. He is so cute and has bonded so well to our family so far. The only problem is, he's 5 months old and extremely clingy. He will follow me everywhere, and if I'm not around he will meow for me to come. I'm at school from 8-3 so he's by himself most of the day. He knows how to use the litter box, but he always sleeps with me. I try to put him in my bed, he will jump right onto mine. It's annoying but I love him so much and would hate to see him go. Please help me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
novathekittycat novathekittycat

I'm not sure what the problem is. He sounds like a very sweet kitten who wants to be close and affectionate.

At only 5 months old, he gets lonely by himself, so he naturally wants to be with you and sleep with you. This is the nature of cats!

Do you spend time each day playing with him with a string toy? Does he have play mice and balls? Kittens need lots of playtime and stimulation, along with cuddles.

I often advise adopting in pairs so they have a playmate. Cats are social creatures, and not very independent as kittens. Do you have time in your life for a kitten?

How much and how often is he fed? Kittens need kitten chow and wet food several times a day.

I see from your original thread that you've had him less than 24 hours. It can take weeks for the new kitten and your older, resident cat to accept one another.

What are your expectations of this new kitten?

Last edited: