Thinking of adopting kitten (possible two) - Need Advice

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After the passing of my two senior cats (Sandra and Thomas), I am thinking of adopting.  I visited the Anticruelty Society yesterday and spent time with one of their kittens.  She is 3 months old.  She is very precious and playful and tiny.  I fell in love with her.  We have not had a kitten since Sandra was adopted in 1998.  All the other cats that have joined our family were adults when adopted. 

Currently we have Basil (13 years old) and Yunis (6 years old).  Both are male.  They are not buddies, but have learned to live together and tolerate each other.  They both are playful, although Basil can sometimes play a bit rough.  I know if I do decide to adopt, I will have to go through the slow introduction process.

I have a couple of questions.  First, is it a good idea to adopt a kitten considering the age difference between her and the two resident cats?  Also, because she is a kitten, she is very hyper.  Although Basil and Yunis are playful, I don't think they would appreciate her level of activity.  I am wondering if I were to decide to adopt her, would it be better to adopt another kitten with her so they can be playmates?  She does not have any litter mates, so this other kitten would be a kitten she had never met.

I checked the Anticruelty Society website this morning and she is still available for adoption, however, she has been relocated to a Petsmart location.  I know kittens get adopted very quickly and I have to make a decision quick. 

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It is actually easier to incorporate a kitten into an adult cat household. I remember 13 years ago when I got my pumpkin face this month and my 2 year old female was so mad at first but it didn't take long for them to play. Floey the oldest who is an angel now was dominant and Pumps is submissive. Floey taught pumps how to run across the floor and land on a throw rug and smash into the cabinets all the while chasing a toy mousie. Go for it! you won't regret it!

I kept pumps in her carrier overnight for a few nights. it actually went better than I expected.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think adopting two kittens to keep themselves busy is a great idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be better to adopt two kittens because they will play with each other and not annoy Basil or Yunis.  I think it would make the adjustment for your adult cats easier because they will be able to adjust to the kittens at their own pace since two kittens will have each other as playmates.  I adopted Apollo when he was the same age as the baby you are thinking of adopting.  He was a little more laid back though and did not drive my older cats nuts. A year after we adopted Apollo a 7 week old black cat named Casey adopted us.  Casey and Apollo bonded very quickly and I really think Apollo enjoyed having a younger playmate.  Sonny the younger of my adult cats also bonded quickly with Apollo when we adopted him.  He also bonded quickly with Casey.  The three of them still play together.  My oldest cat a female named Starbuck is not too into playing with the other cats.  She was really scared of Sonny when we first adopted him.  She did learn to accept him but it took a while.  When we adopted Apollo he became Sonny's playmate and the relationship between Sonny and Starbuck got much better because Sonny stopped trying to make her play. Since Apollo was focused on playing with Sonny Starbuck actually bonded with him much faster.  When we adopted Casey he became Apollo's playmate and even though Sonny still plays with them I think he enjoys having his space sometimes. The youngsters still play with Sonny but they let him decide when he wants to play with them.  Casey is now 2 years old and Apollo is 3 years old.

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ended up adopting two kittens.  

Minnie and Iris.  I was originally going to adopt only Minnie, but she is very playful and hyper, so Iris was also adopted.  I have them in a room by themselves right now.  Once they settle in, I can start the introduction process with them and Basil and Yunis.  Hopefully they have long, happy and healthy lives with the family.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up adopting two kittens.  

Minnie and Iris.  I was originally going to adopt only Minnie, but she is very playful and hyper, so Iris was also adopted.  I have them in a room by themselves right now.  Once they settle in, I can start the introduction process with them and Basil and Yunis.  Hopefully they have long, happy and healthy lives with the family.

Congratulations!! Welcome to TCS Minnie and Iris [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!