Thinking of adopting 8 year old just neutered male

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I hope I am putting this in the right place. I need advice. Last week I met a great big ginger cat at the adoption center in my pet food store. He was rescued from the shelter and had just arrived at the store.

I am very drawn to him and thinking of bringing him home as my 4th cat.

All I know about him is he was surrendered to the shelter in mid January because his owner died. He was unneutered and had lived his 8 years as an outdoor cat. That is why I am adding this on this forum as I would assume his behavior may be that of a stray..

His name is Tiger although he does not appear to know it. Shelter notes say that in January he withdrew into back of the kennel and at handling hissed with ears flattened.The rescuer told me that when she picked him up at shelter he somehow got out of the carrier while she was driving but just crawled into passenger seat and rode calmly beside her.

At the pet food store he is very good with the kittens but the only adults there are two inactive females who want nothing to do with him.I wish I could see him with adult males as I have two a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I also have a 2 year old female who would be fine with any animal I brought home.

I have met him and he seems like a laid back big lug who goes with the flow. I can carry him around like a sack of potatoes over my shoulder. Boy, he needs to lose weight.

I have promised my husband that I would always stay with just three cats but this guy deserves a home. I have asked my husband to give this some thought. His concern is that because he is 8 and just neutered he may be aggressive with our male cats and also because he is just neutered and has been an outdoor cat he may be a sprayer. As far as I know he has not sprayed where he is now.

I do have an extra room to keep him in until I begin intro's, I want him to be an indoor cat but allow the cats in my backyard, I have cat fencing around the backyard so he could not roam. I would start out with feliway plug ins and use Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter.My house is 2,100 sq ft and I have 7 cat trees and a huge cat climbing wall. So, any advice? Do you think it could work or is he to old and having been outdoors all his life am I asking for problems with my other male cats? Have any of you ever done something like this? I once adopted a 6 year old male who had been found in a colony at age 3 and spent 3 years in rescue before I took him home. That was fine but then again he had three years between being found and being adopted. Any advice appreciated

Last edited:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I just want to say that Tiger is such a lucky guy to have you in his corner! I've not been in the same situation as you but we did bring in a cat who was 6+ years old who had lived his entire life outside as a feral. We had him neutered and kept him in our screened-in porch for a couple of weeks until he got the whole litterbox thing down pat. After that he was moved inside with our 5 (at the time) other cats. We never have had a problem with him spraying. It probably helped matters that he "knew" the other cats already because they would sniff each other through the screen door. I wish you all the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying to my post. I seem to remember that you wrote about bringing that cat in.I am in negotiation with my husband.He asks that since Tiger is now safe and in a comfortable place that I wait, get to know him , observe him with other cats and that if it seems he will be one of the many older cats who will wait forever for a home to then talk about it with him. He would prefer to remain a 3 cat home.He does not want to rock our peaceful boat.He has promised to go meet Tiger.