Thinking ahead

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 foot tree. Last year I didn't put it up because of Comet. I want to put it up this year. How do I keep him from knocking the tree over or ruin ornaments. HINTS needed please'

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don't have a problem with Comet attacking and knocking random things over you should be fine. If it is a 4 foot tree you can put it on a small table to raise it off the ground a little or keep the fragile ornaments towards the top half. We've never had a problem with any of our three cats trying to climb or attack the Christmas tree and mine were 9 months, 1.5 years and 2.5 years last Christmas. In fact, our biggest problem was all three wanted to sleep under the tree and between the presents and them there wasn't enough room for all three at once.

I could imagine you might have trouble if you don't have a cat tree or suitable high place alternative in your house. Or if Comet like knocking things down randomly. In which case you can raise the tree up above his eye line so it isn't an obvious target. Keep fragile ornaments off the tree completely so it isn't the end of the world if he does go after something. Closely supervise him when he is around the tree and close off that room when you aren't in it with him. If you establish the tree as a no cat zone right off the bat and tell him no whenever he looks like he is going for it he should get the hint fairly quickly. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people "wire" the tree to the wall.  It depends on where you want to put it.  A few eye hooks near the base of the wall and some sturdy cording might be enough.