thinking about getting a kitten

angelap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been thinking about getting a new kitten, but not sure how my cat will take to it as I don't have any other cats. But when I first got her as a rescue we had another two cats. been told that if I get a kitten she will run away and not come back can any one help me with this. really not sure what to do now

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Am I correct in thinking she is an indoor/outdoor cat? It is always hardest to do intros in these situations as, to be totally honest with you, there is no way to completely eliminate this risk.

You can reduce it in a few ways, though.  The first, and most important, is to completely and slowly follow the steps in this article:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats making absolutely sure that BOTH cats are comfortable before moving to the next step.

Another thing that might help and you cold consider is getting an older cat, not a kitten. For a variety of reasons, kittens often drive older cats absolutely batty, and chances of the older cat being annoyed do increase if you get a kitten.

Finally, you can try keeping your resident cat inside during the introduction process.  While how well she takes to this will depend, it is the surest way to ensure she doesn't take one sniff of the new kitten and run away.

Good luck!!