Thinking About Another Kitten- Would This Help Anxious 3 Year Old?

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello all! I have a rather anxious 3 year old Siamese. She hates visitors, and it aggressive towards anyone who is not my husband and I.
She is also very clingy to us. Follows us around, and is very upset when we go on vacation (will pee on our bed, in corners while we are gone)
I have had many cats in the past- have introduced many kittens to older cats (cats who live with my parents) but this is the first time I have had a cat with separation anxiety AND aggression. She is very strong willed.
(She has been on meds in the past- I hated them and prefer to work with behavior modification- we have made big strides as she is still young and has grown out of a lot of old behavior)

I am just looking for anyone that has possibly introduced a kitten to a older sassy cat. I would love to see her with a companion as my other cats at my parents house have.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A real percentage of normal 3 year old cats have problems with kittens. Granted, they are usually solvable with time. But solvable is not the same as becoming friends. In a real percentage of cases, the kitten will increase the older cat's anxiety to at least some degree for a long period of time, even years.

Your cat's aggression and anxiety can't help the percentages. While I can't give you odds, the chance of problems -- including litterbox problems given that you have some of those already on anxiety -- is high enough that personally I would not do it unless able to give the kitten back and mentally prepared to do so. Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion of fostering might be a good idea.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with getting a kitten in a foster-to-adopt situation or where you can return the kitten to a no kill shelter if needed. I would do a kitten because they tend to be very adaptable and less of a threat to adult cats during introductions. Id give it 50-50 odds that it would help personally. Some cats really do well with others and having another cat to spend time with could help. But she could also be a cat who hates other cats.