Think My Cat Has Another Uti..can Vets Prescribe Medications Without Seeing The Animal?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is prone to UTIs and has had a few since I've had him. I've tried to make changes like getting a water fountain, giving canned food often,ect. and that's helped a ton because he hasn't gotten one in a while, but I think he has one again (he's been drinking a lot of water, visiting the litter box often, his urine clumps are smaller than usual, and not the normal steady stream).

He had to have surgery to get a cyst removal a while back, and now he absolutely hates the vet. I have to give him gabapentin so they can just do a basic exam on him. My question is, since I'm almost positive he has a UTI, can the vet prescribe the medication without seeing him so he doesn't have to go through the stress of going to the vet?

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't think so, but you could contact your vet and ask them.

One other contribing factor can sometimes be stress in the living environment, can you start playing low volume music? There's the app Relax My Cat and also MusicForCats . com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I don't think so, but you could contact your vet and ask them.

One other contribing factor can sometimes be stress in the living environment, can you start playing low volume music? There's the app Relax My Cat and also MusicForCats . com
I was able to get ahold of my vet, and she is prescribing it because she knows how stressed he gets haha. Yay!

Thanks for that advice! I will definitely check that out. I've definitely tried to reduce his stress. I used to take him in the car on trips back and forth from home and college. But I have a friend who watches him now when I have to leave and that has definitely helped a ton!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he still eating dry food? How much? For my boy cat, I have to keep it under half a cup or he gets pee problems.
Yes, he still eats dry food. I just leave it out for him all day in his bowl. But I don't believe he eats more than 1/2 cup a day.