Think he is a tabby?

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

This is my Opie. When we got him, we were told his mother was Bengal and his father was a Blue Russian. They weren't supposed to mate, but the seller said the litter was an accident. :) whoops. We saw the parents papers so we have no reason to believe that he is anything other than what we were told. But he looks so much like a damn tabby to me, I can't let it go. 

We certainly didn't buy him for the breed, we just fell in love with his picture. So you won't be disappointing me at all for confirming this suspicion. 

The only thing that makes me think the seller wasn't full of crap is Opie's demeanor. He is a true lap cat and a love ball. He loves to play with hands (but we're working on that!). And sometimes he gets in the shower with me, so we know he has no fear of water!

Please ignore his weird face. lol he was mad because he couldn't sleep on the tip of my knee. 

Don't care what he is, WE LOVE HIM!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT A CUTIE!
Really darling, little Opie. Gorgeous silver tabby cat. Really going to be a stunning adult. Look at those ears - just too cute. Very interesting combination, Bengal and Russian. You have one special kitten on your hands.

Hehehe Thanks!

Seriously questioning his Bengal roots! But you're right, his ears are so big! If he would hold still for a half a second, I could show you his loooong  legs.

When we took him to the vet and she said he very very tall for a young kitten. They also said he has a much bigger personality than most kittens his age. 

I was mostly just wondering if anyone else saw Bengal in him. Because I really don't, aside from his huge ears. :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, his size is definitely Bengal and his beautiful markings - the grey comes from the Russian. Definitely will be a BIG BOY with such a sparkly personality. You will have much fun with this special one. :D :clap:

firenat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With those long legs and the spots on his tummy, I think that it is possible that he is part bengal.  He is a real cutie!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what sort of bengal is the mom?  what are her markings? and colors?

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

what sort of bengal is the mom?  what are her markings? and colors?
 To tell you the truth, I didn't know that there were variations on Bengals. When I looked at her registration papers, I wasn't really sure what I was looking at, so I kinda was just looking for the sake of being polite since the seller was offering. The mother herself was very lean and had a glitter effect to her coat. She wasn't quite as tan as other Bengals, it was a bit more muted. As far as her markings, she has normal rosettes on her, and a heavily spotted belly like my cat has. However, she was an older cat if that makes a difference in anything.

The father was the epitome of a Russian Blue. Perfect blue fur and the greenest eyes I have ever seen an an animal. He didn't even look real. 

I hope that helps!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Tabby is a pattern, not a breed. The spots on the belly are typical of many tabby cats, not specific to the Bengal breed. Since the breeder is claiming that the mother, and not the father, is Bengal it's likely that he really does have Bengal in him. Whether Bengal or not, at least one of the parents had the tabby pattern.

How old is your kitten? He looks awfully young to be taken away from his mother. He may actually grow into his ears.

Here are some pictures of my DSH kitties' spotted bellies, and big ears, for comparison.
One mackerel tabby and one classic tabby with spotted bellies

Cali & Iris at 3 months with huge ears

Cali at 2 years, on the left. Notice the ears don't look so big any more. Merlin, on the right, is an abyssinian who does have big ears compared to his body

hellomisslady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tabby is a pattern, not a breed. The spots on the belly are typical of many tabby cats, not specific to the Bengal breed. Since the breeder is claiming that the mother, and not the father, is Bengal it's likely that he really does have Bengal in him. Whether Bengal or not, at least one of the parents had the tabby pattern.

How old is your kitten? He looks awfully young to be taken away from his mother. He may actually grow into his ears.

Yeah I realized my question was not specific enough. I was more or less asking if anyone saw any Bengal characteristics in him or if they found it likely that he did have Bengal in him. 

And yes, he was very very little when we got him. Only six weeks. He is now approaching 12 weeks old. The guy selling them had no interest in keeping the kittens even another second past when he had to. When we got him, he already had been using the litter box and had been on dry kibble for awhile. I have feeling he would have gone to the shelter if we didn't take him.