Things I wish I knew then what I know now

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been owned by Ritz since late January 2010. Ritz was rescued when she was around four to six months old (survived 20 inch snow storm), don't know how much human interaction she had before being abandoned by owner, socialized by an experienced rescuer, and is now around nine months to 14 months old (age in dispute). Never had a cat before, so don't know what normal is.
I've been reading the Forums every day and getting a lot of great hands-on, practical advice. The "how to" books and manuals and tv shows are great, too, but theoretical. And we all know how unique our cats and their issues are.
So I was wondering, what are your top ten/five/three (or how ever many) tips you could give us Newbies? What do you know now that you wish you'd known way back when you first adopted/rescued your kitten/cat?
Thanks.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great question! Here's a start:

1. Learn as much as you can about cat health, illness, and symptoms, so that when/if your cat becomes ill, you recognize it early and know what to do. (Which is to see the vet.) Hanging around on this site and reading books and online info is a great way to be prepared.

2. Develop a good relationship with a vet you trust. Ask around and get recommendations from wise cat owners. All-cat practices are my personal choice. Then, if there's an emergency, you've got a doctor you can count on.

3. Learn about nutrition. I have trouble with this, but I have picked up enough info to choose high-quality dry food for mine, even if they turn up their noses at anything canned except Fancy Feast. There are wonderful nutrition experts on this site who can help with all kinds of special issues. I feel better buying the best food I can afford for them, which is not found in supermarkets.

4. You can't have too many toys! I never used to play a lot with my adult cats, but then I got kittens and now I make a point of playing with everyone every day. They love it, it's a great way to bond, and you will enjoy it, too! They need new distractions often: bags, boxes, balls, long ribbons, etc. Mine love to hide under long sheets of brown paper from packing boxes.

5. Enjoy your cats every single day and be grateful for them. They are a gift we can't keep forever.

6. Two cats are often much happier than one!

7. Talk to them! They will start talking back.

8. Lint rollers and velcro brushes will keep you and your house fur-free if you weren't clever enough to adopt a black cat and get new, all-black clothing and furniture.

9. Clip nails or use Soft Paws. Both of these keep our furniture intact.

10. Keep a bottle of Nature's Miracle around in case of accidents.

11. Handle a cat gently. Some people think they are dogs and pet them too roughly. When pet-owning guests try to do this to mine, I can see my cats cringe. So I intervene. Figure out what your cat really likes and just pet them that way. But do try to get them used to being touched all over, because as they grow older, you may spot health issues that way, and it will make treating them easier, too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Pretty good list. To add on to your #4. Cat furniture is very important. Most cats like to be up high, so the tallest furniture you can afford set up in a good location in your home (the room your cat already likes the best) is very important. You also need proper scratchers and in more than one room. If your cat goes for your couch, add a couple of scratchers to the living room. Some cats like stand up scratching posts - make sure they're tall enough for an adult cat, and some prefer the cardboard ones that lay on the floor.

One thing that people over look a lot. Keep things picked up and trash cans covered or shut away from your cat. Many cats, especially kittens and younger cats, get into things and all it takes is a piece of floss fished out of the bathroom trash to kill your cat. There are a lot of scrapes, that if thrown away in a kitchen trashcan, could be risky to your cat, as well.
If you have knick-knacks on surfaces or shelves, know that no surface is truly off limits to a cat. Put those items that you want to remain unbroken away or in a cabinet with glass doors.

Never leave food or drink unattended. Cats must investigate everything in their environment, often with their paws, even if they have no interest in eating or drinking it. While your drink may still be sitting upright, you can never be sure that a cat nose wasn't smeared along the rim of the cup or a paw stuck inside.

If you remember and try to accommodate for these things, you can often prevent things from happening before the cat could ever try them.

Read up about grooming on here and in books. If your kitty will accept it you can help prevent hairballs and hairy furniture.
Also study up on preventative dental care - yes, brushing.

I can't honestly say any of this was new to me, since I grew up with cats, but a few more inquisitive cats taught me just how much trouble they can cause.

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, so much good info, I don't think there's much I can add! I think my #1 would be "Bookmark TCS" - I tend to trust the opinions and recommendations much more from the people here, simply because they are "real people" (not professional authors, etc) who love their cats enough to want to share their experience and knowledge. Just always see your vet first on any health-related issues or major concerns.

I never had a cat until Sophie-Ann wandered into my life about 8 months ago. Always had dogs (and birds, fish, hamsters, rabbits - just about anything but cats!). I think the biggest lesson I've learned, as a "cat newbie," is to throw away ALL the preconceived notions about cats, and cat ownership. They are no more "aloof" or independent than most dogs, in my experience. They need just as much attention, exercise, interaction, and play as the average dog - and different breeds will have different needs, just as different dog (or bird, or rabbit) breeds will. And like any pet, the more you give them, the more they will give you in return!

Another thing I'd always keep in mind, is that you will never stop learning. I see that you mentioned not knowing what is normal, and I often feel the same way - I have two very young cats (around 9 months old), and as they grow, they are constantly catching me off guard with things I had no clue about. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question, whether it be to TCS, or to your vet, because the learning process is ongoing. I've asked plenty of "dumb" questions in my short time here so far, and have never been looked down upon for it. You won't be, either!

From a practical standpoint... while I prefer to feed higher-quality canned food and treats (Wellness), I've learned that Fancy Feast has its uses. If your cat doesn't eat regularly, their liver can become damaged. I keep a few cans of Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp Feast food on hand at all times - this specific variety was recommended by my vet when Sophie started refusing food due to stress, and it worked - she just couldn't resist it. It's also so pungent and "stinky" that (1) they can often smell it even if they have an upper respiratory infection and are "stuffy," and (2) it nicely covers up the taste of any medicine that has to be added to food. [Note - it's always extremely important to be in close contact with your vet if a cat stops eating for ANY reason.]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your thorough responses. I've bookmarked TSC.

So, in the past five-months-to-the-day since my "gotcha" date (the date I adopted Ritz), these are my top five things I've learned:

1. Just because Ritz doesn't sit next to me or lay on my lap today, doesn't mean she'll never sit next to me again. Like people, cats sometimes just need their space, their alone time.
2. Just because Ritz didn't eat much today, doesn't mean she's sick. And "eat much" isn't the same as "eat nothing". (I rescued an injured cat six weeks ago who, after 24 hours of not eating , had to be fed with a syringe. I know the difference.)
3. Just because I'm in a bad mood, doesn't mean Ritz is. You are not your cats; your cat is not you. Play with her, cuddle with her, and I won't be as cranky.
4. Don't do anything that will make your cat hate you (within reason). It's my fault if I leave a tasty morsel on the counter top; my problem if I don't play with you enough so you engage in play-biting. But yes, you're getting into that cat carrier because you're crying when you're peeing and you have to go to the nice vet.
5. Cats truly do live in the moment. And that is a very good thing. As are cats.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great list of advice! Wish I'd known some of this stuff before I got Shadow & Salem.

I wonder if "Advice for Newbies" could become a stickie??

My very small piece of advice for newbies is to NOT buy the kitten sized starter items: I bought a very small litter tray & feeding dish, which all too quickly outgrew their usefulness...were donated to a local shelter, and I had to go out and buy the 'adult' size thereafter. That's the problem with getting kittens, lol.

Also, one day I found myself saying "I'd forgive them anything" and that realisation has stuck with me ever since...and allows me to never get stressed when they're: destroying things; stealing my food (silly me for leaving it unattended); or sitting looking at the open door, with the rain coming in, debating for 10 mins if they really do want out, or if they just want me to stand there with the door open, while they sniff the damp air!