Things I bought... and then tossed

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leashes... Previous cats loved sitting on the porch for 10-20 minutes each day ( with supervision) without the need for a leash. I wanted Boone and Gracie to experience the outside but since they were little, I didn't trust them to not dart off the porch and me not being quick enough to catch them. They tolerated the leash fine but as soon as I opened the door, they freaked and wanted no part of the outside. Tried multiple times and even now, they have no interest in going out. So, the leashes were given away.

Cat beds... I have bought a total of 4 cat beds. Only one is still around and is used as a toy box for their mice, floppy fish, and puff ball. They would use the others a couple of times and then never again. Or Gracie would attack it. :rolleyes: The minimalist in me can't stand to have something around that serves no purpose so the other 3 were "rehomed".

Water fountain... I actually liked the water fountain and so did Boone and Gracie. Only had to refill it every couple of days and it kept the water really cold. Problem was that no matter how much I soaked the filter, dark metallic looking residue was always in the water. Manual said it was harmless but it made me feel uneasy. Plus I knew the cats were fine drinking out of a regular bowl so I went back to a bowl but a larger one than previously. Fountain got tossed because I figured if I told any prospective new owners about the residue, they wouldn't want it.

S'wheat litter... Again, the cats and I liked this product. I was new to clumping cat litter and having to scoop poop and pee was a little more time consuming, it was fine. Even having to wait to flush so it could break down a little wasn't a deal breaker. (Had to wait because we have a septic tank). The deal breaker was the fact that Boone and Gracie were eating it. At least the stuff that had gotten kicked out of the box and onto the litter mat. That made me extremely nervous as I worried if they ate enough of it over time, they would get "clumps" in their bellies. Went back to non- clumping clay litter.

What are some stuff you bought and then realized weren't a good fit for you or your cats??

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely cat beds for me. The first one I bought was well rated on Chewy but my kitty would take one step into it and jump out like her feet were on fire. There was obviously something about the texture or sound of the material that she hated. I gave it away. The next one I bought was a beautiful wool cat cave. Kitty used it as a lair during playtime for a while but now never ever uses it, having flattened it by trampling it one too many times. But it's so pretty I haven't had the heart to part with it.

A harness that you have to get the cat to put its feet through. No way no how. Switched to a harness you put over top of her and fasten below and we were off to the races.

A million toys. Especially large kickers. She loves to kick but seems genuinely scared of Kickeroos.

Plastic litter liner bags. Man I wish she would tolerate these. Sigh.

Attachments

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats beds for me also. My older cat loved the wool cat cave but he's gone and the other two don't like any beds at all.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That same floppy fish. Catit sense track with the sparkling crinkly ball in it. Several mice shaped toys. My cats prefer feathers or something that is insect shaped.

It would be easier if cats can see the online store picture and tell us if they want it lol.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boone and Gracie like feather toys but rip all the feathers out over time.
Sorry for double post. For rivel and especially silver who likes to rip the feathers out, i use DaBird wand that you can replace the feather heads. The wand cost around $15 and the refills cost approx. $10/5 pcs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MANY cat toys, they seem to prefer the boxes they come in. A LOT of different foods too, I switch once in a while, and sometimes they don't want it. thank goodness for outside cats that are not so picky. I refuse to throw away the Cat Dinovite supplement I got because one of my cats always seems to have a sore from allergies, and I thought I would try it. DON"T get the powder! It's pretty expensive too, though if it works it is good! You need 2 big scoops, they say beneath their food, well my cats would rather have a dog come over than eat that. So I doggedly put a minuscule amount mixed in with their Delectables Lickables and their meds every morning, at this rate I figure I will run out sometime around 2025!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for double post. For rivel and especially silver who likes to rip the feathers out, i use DaBird wand that you can replace the feather heads. The wand cost around $15 and the refills cost approx. $10/5 pcs.
That will probably be one of their birthday gifts in March.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MANY cat toys, they seem to prefer the boxes they come in. A LOT of different foods too, I switch once in a while, and sometimes they don't want it. thank goodness for outside cats that are not so picky. I refuse to throw away the Cat Dinovite supplement I got because one of my cats always seems to have a sore from allergies, and I thought I would try it. DON"T get the powder! It's pretty expensive too, though if it works it is good! You need 2 big scoops, they say beneath their food, well my cats would rather have a dog come over than eat that. So I doggedly put a minuscule amount mixed in with their Delectables Lickables and their meds every morning, at this rate I figure I will run out sometime around 2025!
I make my cats eat food that I buy. They do so begrudgingly because they know Momma doesn't play and if they don't eat it, they will not get a substitute. They will usually eat most of the meal with a little warm water added to it or if I have a good supply of other food they like, I will add some of the good stuff to the stuff they don't like. I will just make a mental note to never buy it again.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When in March is their birthday? Neko-chan is 2 March 15.
Not sure as they were barn cats. I got them May 27, 2020 and they were two months old so I am making March 27th the unofficial official birthday. :lol:

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cat toy wand- it worked for a while, like 3 months, but then Korra Kat didn't seem to care for it as much as playing with a rope/string. so its only occasionally used now.

cat food roller ball toy- I was hoping to slow down her food consumption as she's soooo into her food. it didn't really make a differenced, used it for a week.

cat toy wired crinkly ball thing- packet of 4, cats would love it they said; she never once touched it. I think she was mostly confused as what exactly she was supposed to do with it.

mouse hunt circle pad- mouse is hidden, she swats at it and it goes in a circle a few times until she swats it again. we've had it for 5 months, she's played with it may be 3 times?

lime green cuddle mouse- she never cuddles w/ this thing. she barely touches it. we toss it around, she chases it like fetch once or twice. it mostly just lays it in the cat toy box now.

chewy toy- she loves chewing strings, thought she would feel the same about this- nope! doesn't go anywhere near it.

sheesh I really should go donate this stuff... I was thinking of getting her a cat tunnel or under cover auto mouse (which appears to be successful for some of y'all up above), but unmotivated as they'll prolly end up not being used with the track record store bought cat toy has had.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So many toys. Too many to count or mention.
Same with canned foods. They are so picky it is ridiculous.
Cat beds. I also have one that is filled with unused toys
Fountains. I still have two. They like them but the big max is too big for just two cats. I also HATE the plastic clamshell that holds the motor.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sheesh I really should go donate this stuff...
I've actually been wondering what can be donated. Lots of toys are label hand wash only. Is it safe to donate them or might they spread germs? I feel bad throwing away perfectly good toys but have been figuring shelters/rescues wouldn't want anything that can't be washed on a hot cycle. I only managed to get rid of my cat bed because a friend of a friend needed one.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've donated things that can be washed. Also toys that are plastic that can be wiped down and wand toys that they did not like.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've actually been wondering what can be donated. Lots of toys are label hand wash only. Is it safe to donate them or might they spread germs? I feel bad throwing away perfectly good toys but have been figuring shelters/rescues wouldn't want anything that can't be washed on a hot cycle. I only managed to get rid of my cat bed because a friend of a friend needed one.

I usually that just leave it up to the shelter to make that decision. if they don't want it then they can toss it. nothing wrong with offering, unless obviously if they have a sign somewhere that clearly states " we do not want X item".

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This. Willow loved it the first time she tried it and then managed to knock it over. It’s light and I am sure it didn’t hurt her but after that she vetoed it. Tried for several weeks and she would rather skip her night time snack than stick her paw in this to get one. Sent it off to my mother’s more reasonable cat.
B337749E-4A6C-47A3-A566-18CCCA4B31FA.jpeg

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This. Willow loved it the first time she tried it and then managed to knock it over. It’s light and I am sure it didn’t hurt her but after that she vetoed it. Tried for several weeks and she would rather skip her night time snack than stick her paw in this to get one. Sent it off to my mother’s more reasonable cat.
View attachment 370518
We had one of those too. The girls knocked it over also. They got bored of it very quickly and I returned it.