Things About Your Childhood That Would Baffle Younger People Of Today

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone remember double dutch jumprope? We would play it at recess.

As for a phone, we only had one and it hung on the wall. When we wanted to play with a friend all we had to do was go outdoors. There were plenty of kids in the neighborhood and someone was always outside.
I remember double dutch but I did not like it much. It was hard for me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the movies costing only $.35 and popcorn was about $.10.
I remember when it cost 50 cents for a carload at the drive-in theater. We couldn't afford popcorn, so we brought our own from home.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your Mom or Dad ever tell you to go make your own sunshine?Mine did,and that's what my older sister and I would do.The little town we were raised in was right on the Hudson River in NY state,and play down by the river we did.There was Amtrak and a beautiful old train station...great place for us kids to play hide and seek!There was also a beautiful Catholic church that had a great cemetery.Back in the day, I think us kids could have told you where just about anyone was laid to rest,and it was one of our favorite places to play ringoleavio,especially after supper when it was dark.We had such great times in simple ways.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was listening to a book today and they mentioned one even I had forgotten about that today’s generation certainly wouldn’t understand. Phone cards. It was sort of a status symbol, at least in the working world, to have a company phone card, with a number you could use to make long distance phone calls.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did your Mom or Dad ever tell you to go make your own sunshine?Mine did,and that's what my older sister and I would do.The little town we were raised in was right on the Hudson River in NY state,and play down by the river we did.There was Amtrak and a beautiful old train station...great place for us kids to play hide and seek!There was also a beautiful Catholic church that had a great cemetery.Back in the day, I think us kids could have told you where just about anyone was laid to rest,and it was one of our favorite places to play ringoleavio,especially after supper when it was dark.We had such great times in simple ways.
I hadn't heard put that way. When I was a child I knew not to complain to my parents that I was bored. They made it clear as far back as I can remember that their job did not entail keeping me entertained.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was not so subtle. Her line was “get outside and blow the stink off of you”.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this talk about cents is really illustrating the time value of money...need to get my money out of savings!!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which brings back something else kids today wouldn’t get. Tick checks. Every night except in winter we kids stripped naked and were checked from our heads to between our toes and everywhere in between for ticks.
That's funny. Until getting a job cut my childhood short, I used to roam all over the place with 3 or4 other kids, either fishing or just plain goofing off in the outdoors, and never once did any of us pick up a tick.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny. Until getting a job cut my childhood short, I used to roam all over the place with 3 or4 other kids, either fishing or just plain goofing off in the outdoors, and never once did any of us pick up a tick.
Seriously? I would bet my sister or I had at least a couple ticks a week. Sometimes you’d have three or four crawling on you at a time. Any hours and hours spent pulling ticks off of the dogs.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously? I would bet my sister or I had at least a couple ticks a week. Sometimes you’d have three or four crawling on you at a time. Any hours and hours spent pulling ticks off of the dogs.
No, really. There were some places where there were ticks, especially sandy areas, but we mostly avoided them, which was no problem since those spots tended to be isolated 'islands' in the overall area.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ticks, ugh. Anyone who goes somewhere that isn't mowed during certain times of year around here will pick a few up. Once we picked more than 50 of them off the dog when we got home from visiting the farm, and about 5 each off the humans. But they don't carry diseases around here, or it's very rare anyway. I'm sure some parents do tick checks.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ticks, ugh. Anyone who goes somewhere that isn't mowed during certain times of year around here will pick a few up. Once we picked more than 50 of them off the dog when we got home from visiting the farm, and about 5 each off the humans. But they don't carry diseases around here, or it's very rare anyway. I'm sure some parents do tick checks.
You're lucky. Around here the ticks carry Lyme disease, among other nasties.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. I think I'd be really freaked out by ticks if we had tick-borne diseases. As it is, if I find one I just pull it out and flush it. And say "ewwww" a lot :D.

Of course things are changing and the diseases are becoming more common here, unfortunately. Who knows what will happen in a few years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. I think I'd be really freaked out by ticks if we had tick-borne diseases. As it is, if I find one I just pull it out and flush it. And say "ewwww" a lot :D.

Of course things are changing and the diseases are becoming more common here, unfortunately. Who knows what will happen in a few years.
I have one word for you- Permethrin. I use it to pre-treat my clothing before going out where there may be ticks.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember all that stuff too. It makes me wonder, though, just what things today will baffle kids in the year 2079?