Thicker/longer fur along spine

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know my sweet boy is a DSH, but unlike our tortie girl who has super short sleek smooth fur on her whole body, Ash (12 weeks) has a ridge along his spine of fur that is rougher, thicker and longer than the rest. Especially at the base of the tail.
I just wondered if this was a characteristic of any breed? Or possibly a male thing? I’m just curious. Anyone ever noticed similar?
38D2F574-9BE0-4829-96AA-15B422086688.jpeg
D3F33D1C-4BF0-45D0-B061-F36D79E32330.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 12 weeks, he's probably just starting to develop his adult coat. Often the hair along the spine is the earliest to develop. He might end up having a thicker and coarser coat all over, compared to your tortie girl. There can be a lot of variation in coat thickness and texture in domestic cats, but this generally doesn't indicate any particular breed ancestry. You'll just have to wait and see how he matures. He's a cute little guy!

Khat Behlt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat absolutely has a course bristle down her spine.

I had no idea until she was shaved. She's a long haired something whose bloodlines are feral and farm. After watching an unattended wild kitten on my property for a week I trapper her. Her mother was around to call her. Short black hair.

But my girl Bernie gets matted. Her shaved short coat shows she has a sparse trail of hair more similar to whiskers.

Of course cats don't have spines. But my cat has spines. They are invisible in her full coat though.

Tabby. Ear furnishings. Short white mouth. Color pattern of a wild animal.

Idk

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat absolutely has a course bristle down her spine.

I had no idea until she was shaved. She's a long haired something whose bloodlines are feral and farm. After watching an unattended wild kitten on my property for a week I trapper her. Her mother was around to call her. Short black hair.

But my girl Bernie gets matted. Her shaved short coat shows she has a sparse trail of hair more similar to whiskers.

Of course cats don't have spines. But my cat has spines. They are invisible in her full coat though.

Tabby. Ear furnishings. Short white mouth. Color pattern of a wild animal.

Idk
Would be nice with several good photos! :)