Thick Drool from a Feral Cat

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't sleep for worrying about a feral cat. A colleague of mine who works for a different property management company in Tennessee has been telling me about a young tortie on her property who's in bad shape.

She says the cat's probably under a year old and is constantly drooling, and that the drool is almost like mucus in the sense that it's very thick. She also says that the cat's tail is missing fur and looks shriveled in places, and that the cat's eyes look strange. She claims that they aren't very clear and are--as she put it--"bugged" and yellowish. The cat eats, though. She feeds it three times a day and it eats nine ounces of Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Pate each day.

She's tried to no avail to trap the cat but can't. So she says, not even with the services of a wildlife trapper.

Stomatitis would cause drooling but stomatitis at under a year? I know it's possible but it isn't common. . . .and would a cat eat nine ounces a day with stomatitis or some other dental issue? Plus, one would think that if the drooling were caused by something stuck in the throat that the cat wouldn't eat. My colleague is concerned that someone poisoned the cat but it's been drooling for over eight weeks. Surely if poison were the culprit the cat would have either died or gotten better by now.

My colleague actually cried on me tonight because she said she feels so bad for this cat. She says that when it comes up to her to eat it's always covered in leaves. Her belief is that it's hiding and just waiting to die. She said that it will groom itself some but not like a normal cat.

She asked me for antibiotics which I will happily provide but I just can't figure out why the cat is drooling.

Any ideas?

Do you think amoxicillin clavulanic would be detrimental to the cat?

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It could be something like a loose or infected tooth. One of mine kept eating even when her teeth were in dreadful shape, but she drooled all the time too.

If this cat is coming to eat regularly could they trap her with a drop trap?

I wouldn't recommend amoxicillin without consulting a vet just in case she has any kidney or liver issues going on. It can make them worse.

I'm not sure what she means by yellowish eyes, could the cat be jaundiced?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Norachan! I hate to say this, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I believe they've gone to the efforts to trap this cat that they claim. I've never had any trouble trapping or catching an ill feral or stray cat, so I don't know why this one would be any different.

I have to confess that I don't know this person very well . . . only from industry events and such. She's sent me several videos of the cat and it's terribly upsetting. I've tried to reach out to feline rescue groups in the area but I think they're just overwhelmed and unable to respond. I'm currently on vacation for the holidays and I think I'm going to use some of my frequent flyer miles to go to Nashville on Sunday to see if I can trap this cat. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

But as an after thought . . . wouldn't it be odd to have dental issues at only a year or so old?

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
But as an after thought . . . wouldn't it be odd to have dental issues at only a year or so old
Hi Lavishsqualor.

:wave3:

That depends on the health of the cat. When I found Happy she was only about 6 months old, but she had to have all her teeth removed when we spayed her. She's FIV+, which is known to cause dental problems. If this cat has an ongoing health problem and has had trouble getting adequate nutrition it could have caused her teeth to suffer.

You've got a lot of experience of trapping ferals, I'm sure if anyone can do it you can. I hope you can get out there and help her.

:crossfingers::goodluck::crossfingers::goodluck::crossfingers::goodluck::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Norachan! I'm not sure I deserve it though.

Sometimes (like now) I feel as if I'm drowning in sad, feral/stray cats.

The world should be a kinder place for these beautiful creatures.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hate so much to read posts like this - - lavishsqualor lavishsqualor , this poor thing's condition is obviously (and understandably!) weighing heavily on your mind. And in my experience - - and I know you've got tons of experience dealing with people and trapping too - - if you've got a feeling in your gut that you're possibly not being told quite the truth about the cat being "untrappable" you're probably right. I feel like 9 times out of 10 if I hear "he/she just can't be trapped/I've tried everything/etc" it usually means (or ends with) "could you do it?"
It just doesn't feel right to me that a cat that's both that ill (and from the description it does sound very ill) and that she's able to get that close that she can even see its eye condition - - that being completely untrappable seems odd. Obviously not impossible, but odd. Know I"m not saying I don't feel for her (and obviously for the kitty!) but it feels odd to me that she can't trap it despite repeated attempts, nor can a wildlife trapper? (Wildlife trappers in my area won't trap cats - - they'll only do wildlife, and then, only to euthanize). And she's obviously got a food that he loves - - which again makes me think it's surprising she can't trap him?

It sounds like you're obviously willing to go to the ends of the earth (which is amazing - but everything I've ever read from you certainly indicates you would!) but hopefully someone can figure something out. That he's eating that much is positive - - -but obviously there are alot of things that sound far from positive. And, like Norachan Norachan , I'd be so nervous about suggesting meds without seeing more. Drooling like that alone could be so many things (I almost immediately think dental or kidney with that much drooling) - - -and add in the other things and the options expand exponentially. And I've definitely seen horrible dental issues from cats that young (and younger) - - often in conjunction with another health issue (like FIV). I remember one stray I dealt with at a shelter years ago that just looked like he was on death's door - -- he'd been found by the side of the road by someone who thought he was road kill. Turned out he had been owned at one point (he was chipped!) and was FIV+ with mange, an ear infection that was so bad both ears had become "cauliflower ears," he had horrid dental issues - so bad that he had stopped being able to eat....and to top it off, he'd been shot in a hind leg (the BBs were still in there). The people who found him on the side of the road were definitely his guardian angels - - the vet bet he wouldn't have made it another day or two. But lots and lots of care (part of which involved pulling every tooth but one canine!) and (cue music swelling) - he found a wonderful forever home. He looks like a boxer who was on the losing end of alot of fights - - - but he's now healthy and happy! But I know "your guy" has to be trapped first before he can even work his way to a possible happy ending.

I know most shelters are beyond capacity most of the time - - -and most shelters won't get involved with trapping. But would it be possible for you to at least speak with a spay/neuter clinic in the area that might offer some options? Some near me do actually - when they can - actually send some of their team to help trap. Could you call a place in the area yourself? Even if the place you call can't help, they might offer a suggestion as to an organization that could. And if you make the call yourself you'll know exactly what the options are, vs hearing from your associate - - and wondering if you're hearing the full story. Also - another network of people helping ferals (besides this amazing site!!!) is Alley Cat Allies (I'm sure you know of them) - they do have a "Feral Friends Network" that might be one more resource in finding someone in that area who could help.

I'm so sorry you're in such a difficult situation - - - I completely feel for you (and for this poor cat - -- and your associate). The world does seem so tough sometimes - - - and that feeling that it's a never-ending flow of ferals and strays is one so many of us feel far too often. I know I've had to quit jobs at shelters several times as I found myself starting to feel there was no human kindness left anymore. But then there are those glimmers of hope - those times when things actually go well - - I think those glimmers are why most of us are able to continue! I do hope you'll keep us posted.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does sound like it might stomatitis. I have a friend whose cat has it and she described the cat as having "a thick toxic drool". The vet pulled several teeth but that didn't help so now he is on medication that seems to be helping.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely second a loose or infected tooth. She needs to keep trying to trap it with have a heart traps or something. She says the cat is eating, so put the food in the trap. Even the most hard to catch ferals will go into a trap for food. If the cat doesnt get vet help or antibiotics, the mouth infection could spread to its blood and kill it.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Along the lines of what kittychick kittychick mentioned, I would ask a spay/neuter clinic (or other organization with a focus on spay/neuter, TNR, or feral advocacy) specifically if they know of any local trappers who they might be able to get you in touch with. It can be worthwhile to ask regular rescues or shelters this too.

When I ask for help from these places, I get no response... ever.

But if I ask if they know of a local trapper they can connect me with, over half the time those same exact organizations will get back to me.

I don’t know why framing the question that way tends to be more successful. As someone who works in wildlife rescue, if someone calls about something we can’t help with, my immediate reaction is to refer them to other organizations or independent/private rehabilitators (and even private Facebook groups if it has to do with a companion animal) - I include referrals to outside resources as being under the umbrella of the “help” they’re asking for.

But whatever the reason, I’ve learned that I receive a lot more responses this way.

Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network has been very hit or miss for me in the past, but I am registered as a feral friend and am contacted quite a bit and have definitely helped people out in some way or another every time I’ve been contacted. So always worth a shot.

And, I also agree with kittychick on this story sounding suspect for the same reasons. The parts about this kitty “coming to her” to eat and the ability to discern coloring in her eyes stood out to me immediately.

My very feral ferals do not come to me, haha 😆 Their eyes could be purple for all I know.

How close can she actually get to this cat? Fishing net pole distance?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat patchy was drooling at the end of her life, She had a tumor under her tounge
it was pretty bad, she lived a long time tho

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild has a point about how you ask. If you sort of circumnavigate the question you sometimes get further as many groups are pushed to the max. While I support Alley Cat Allies and even set up a memorial fund for a deceased friend who loved cats so that they would receive all donations, they have never come through for me, even if I have only asked for advice or a phone call. In fact, it is what brought me to The Cat Site.

I doubt that any serious attempt at trapping has been done. For some people the fact that the cat did not walk into their arms means that trapping was not successful and if your friend is unsure about how to use a trap or skittish about it, it has not been attempted. Around here, there are a few wildlife trappers who will trap cats and give them to you to continue their care.

Your concern and kindness toward this cat certainly reflect the person you are. I hope that possibly you can find an intermediary who can be trusted to help you with this. My guess is that if you do to to Tennessee you will be able to trap the cat easily.with KFC or the like.

My true TNRed ferals never get near me either; I look at them through binoculars out the back window. If I appear in person, they bolt and will not return for food all day. Something is not syncing with your friend's story, although I don't doubt her concern and distress about the cat.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild has a point about how you ask. If you sort of circumnavigate the question you sometimes get further as many groups are pushed to the max. While I support Alley Cat Allies and even set up a memorial fund for a deceased friend who loved cats so that they would receive all donations, they have never come through for me, even if I have only asked for advice or a phone call. In fact, it is what brought me to The Cat Site.

I doubt that any serious attempt at trapping has been done. For some people the fact that the cat did not walk into their arms means that trapping was not successful and if your friend is unsure about how to use a trap or skittish about it, it has not been attempted. Around here, there are a few wildlife trappers who will trap cats and give them to you to continue their care.

Your concern and kindness toward this cat certainly reflect the person you are. I hope that possibly you can find an intermediary who can be trusted to help you with this. My guess is that if you do to to Tennessee you will be able to trap the cat easily.with KFC or the like.

My true TNRed ferals never get near me either; I look at them through binoculars out the back window. If I appear in person, they bolt and will not return for food all day. Something is not syncing with your friend's story, although I don't doubt her concern and distress about the cat.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you and kittychick said. Most of the time when they say a cat can’t be trapped/won’t go near the trap/etc, it really means they did some bare minimum and want you/someone else to do it.

Trapping takes no actual skill, just a little knowledge that is easy to Google. Even for savvier cats, all it takes is googling a cat or cat rescue forum to explicitly ask about your situation.

And that’s what gets me - by what they have and haven’t tried, it’s blatantly obvious they haven’t done even the most basic Google search for tips.

Sometimes I do occasionally get people who have issues trapping simply because they don’t understand cats or ferals, and certain things aren’t always explicitly mentioned in “how tos”, though.

I once had a couple with a colony of 9 who claimed they couldn’t trap a single one. I assumed this meant they couldn’t get a cat to just come up to them or walk into a carrier, because 9 cats? And not a single one? There’s no way you put any effort into that!

However, once i got there, I found they did actually have two traps - one covered, one uncovered. And loads of different bait they had obviously tried. So a decent effort to trap and educate themselves was pretty apparent.

I wasn’t quite sure then how a single one still hadn’t been trapped, so I asked them to set up like normal so I could observe what the cats were doing myself.

Oh, this poor couple. They were trying to encourage the ferals to come to the trap as though they were dogs 😂 Whistling, patting their legs. I could not keep it together, I was dying! It was soo funny.

I’ve also met other people who weren’t successful because they were also hovering in some way. They didn’t understand they had to hide. They just stand quietly near by, making direct eye contact with any cats who do show up.

If this cat comes up close to her, I wonder if she’s making a similar mistake.

I realized after a couple incidences of this happening that a lot of guides are not explicit about needing to hide. They might say to be still and be quiet, but they don’t stress the fact that a feral needs to not even know you’re there. And I suppose that just doesn’t occur to some people (plus, the major advocacy organizations stress not leaving a trap unattended, so maybe they take that too literally?).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild I have to agree that there is always some reason that cats cannot be trapped if a decent effort is made. At least they were making the effort and just needed some tweaking as opposed to standing there helplessly waiting for you to do all the work.