Thiamine Mononitrate: Synthetic B1

KittyCuddler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

SO Thiamine Mononitrate.....I'm reading articles that say it's actually fat-soluble. A synthetic, fat-soluble form of a water-soluble vitamin.

Can anyone give me a reputable source that confirms it is actually fat-soluble instead of water-soluble?

Note: these same places also say thiamine HCL, although synthetic, is water-soluble.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are seeing the difference between thiamine mononitrate and thiamine hydrochloride. See if this article (and link in it about hydroscopic - meaning water soluble) doesn't explain it.

Difference Between Thiamine Mononitrate and Thiamine Hydrochloride | Definition, Properties, and Uses

Also, look at this definition on Wikipedia: Thiamine - Wikipedia which includes the following:
"The salt thiamine mononitrate, rather than thiamine hydrochloride, is used for food fortification, as the mononitrate is more stable, and does not absorb water from natural humidity (is non-hygroscopic), whereas thiamine hydrochloride is hygroscopic. When thiamine mononitrate dissolves in water, it releases nitrate (about 19% of its weight) and is thereafter absorbed as the thiamine cation."

Last edited: