They wont microchip my kitten & he keeps running

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 15week old kitten and I want him a house cat just because we live in an area where lots of older kids would terrorise my kitty if he was allowed outside and that worries me. However I let him in the back lane when I put my bins out for some fresh air and he stays by me but has become obsessed with getting that fresh air now and cries at the door to be out sometimes and if I leave the house he darts out the door and I have to chase him back home as he's getting more and more confident now. I wanted my cat microchipped ASAP but the vets will not do it at such a young age because it meant to be very painful for them so there's a chance I won't get to have him microchipped until he's almost 2 which is devastating if he goes missing. Are there other ways I can keep him identified if he gets out again ? I was thinking a collar with details on. The vet won't microchip unless he is under operation anyways like getting neutered so they can do both at once

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you thought about getting him used to a harness? That would be a much safer way for him to go out.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Getting him microchipped will mean that if he gets handed into a shelter you stand a better chance of being reunited with your cat. It won't protect him against dogs, cars, wild animals or mean kids. You really shouldn't let any cat wander outside on their own.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prevent him from darting out, and eventually he'll stop trying and stop whining.

Your mistake was letting him out at all. You give a cat an inch, it wants a mile.

If he gets out again, DONT chase him. Just go out, calmly sit down on your steps and act like nothing traumatic has happened. Eventually, call the kitten, use treats if need be, pet the kitten, and only then pick him up and take him back in. This is necessary, because if you chase, you teach him to flee, and cats are just too fast and agile. If you lose sight of him, you can do rounds calling him. And when you see him, again, don't chase. Rather see if he'll come for petting and love, and only after a suitable pause pick him up and bring in.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wait until he's nearly 2 to neuter him! He's likely to pick up a nasty spraying habit before that. 4-5 months is generally considered ideal, so he's getting pretty close. Even if your vets are old-school, very few recommend waiting past 8 months.

Can you buy/build an enclosure for him so he can go outside safely?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't understand why a vet won't insert a microchip unless a cat is under sedation!!! It doesn't make any sense at all - some cats have already been neutered well before the owner decides a microchip will be a good idea.

Whether or not it is wise to let a cat freely roam outside, will depend a lot on where you live. In your case, it doesn't seem to be a good idea. Keep him indoors - he'll get used to it. But, he should definitely be neutered before being allowed out.

When we have a stray cat with kittens to foster, the mother cat will be microchipped at the same time as she is neutered but the kittens, too small to be neutered, will be microchipped at their first vet appointment after a general check-up and first vaccinations. There are small microchips available with a very small needle for the process. (No sedation required). Microchipping is important even for indoor cats - so many cats manage to escape, get frightened and run off. We are so often alerted to the fact that a cat has escaped from its carrier while being taken to a new house or even to a vet.

I won't repeat the other good advice given in previous posts. Take care!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't wait until he's nearly 2 to neuter him! He's likely to pick up a nasty spraying habit before that. 4-5 months is generally considered ideal, so he's getting pretty close. Even if your vets are old-school, very few recommend waiting past 8 months.

Can you buy/build an enclosure for him so he can go outside safely?
Yes I will be doing it ASAP and I have a yard with a high wall he can't jump over but I have to block a little hole in the gate so he doesn't squeeze under so he enjoys the yard to relax and that is calming his need for the outdoors so much

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, microchipping isn’t painful. I watched while Willow was chipped and she has no reaction at all.
That's what I thought but many vets around me have refused due to pain when their young but it's so quick I don't believe it would hurt all that much .. I've also been refused vaccinations for him due to a national shortage of vaccines due to rise in cat ownership since covid happened

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need a new vet. Some kittens are microchipped at just a few weeks old. It is NOT painful any more than a regular shot. It is injected at the scruff of the neck and only the size of a piece of uncooked rice. Most shelters can do it and so does the ASPCA for a reasonable amount, check around.
Are u in the US? I'm UK we have RSPCA .. I also can't get vaccines for him due to national shortage so alot is being refused by my local vets which is annoying as I wanted him all vaccinated and microchipped asap

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't understand why a vet won't insert a microchip unless a cat is under sedation!!! It doesn't make any sense at all - some cats have already been neutered well before the owner decides a microchip will be a good idea.

Whether or not it is wise to let a cat freely roam outside, will depend a lot on where you live. In your case, it doesn't seem to be a good idea. Keep him indoors - he'll get used to it. But, he should definitely be neutered before being allowed out.

When we have a stray cat with kittens to foster, the mother cat will be microchipped at the same time as she is neutered but the kittens, too small to be neutered, will be microchipped at their first vet appointment after a general check-up and first vaccinations. There are small microchips available with a very small needle for the process. (No sedation required). Microchipping is important even for indoor cats - so many cats manage to escape, get frightened and run off. We are so often alerted to the fact that a cat has escaped from its carrier while being taken to a new house or even to a vet.

I won't repeat the other good advice given in previous posts. Take care!
Yes I agree I didn't believe it was painful either I wanted him all vaccinated and microchippwd as soon as I got him at 12 weeks however I've been refused vaccines due to national shortage because of increased cat ownership since the pandemic and they will not microchip this young unless being neutered at the same time it's crazy

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let him out of the house then until he is chipped. Even when supervised they can take off in a second.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if V verna davies has an experience with vets in the UK refusing to microchip a kitten.

An adult cat over the age of 1 can definitely be microchipped. I don't know why your vet refuses to microchip until a cat is at least 2 years old/ A microchip is inserted via a syringe. It's kind of like giving a vaccine. Microchips are about the size of a grain of rice so very small and the quick injection doesn't hurt any more than a vaccination and does not require sedation.

One of my cats was microchipped by the rescue before I adopted her at 6 months old. My other cat was a bit older when I got him microchipped for free.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my cats from the Cat Protection and they were microchipped before I adopted them which meant they were 8 weeks old and as said above, it is just like an injection and doesn't hurt. Try contacting Cat Protection, RSPCA, shelters near you or Google 'microchipping near me'. If you have Pets at Home near you ask them, they may know places. Also mentioned above, think about harness training or look at a catio for him so he can have fresh air.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had just one of my two boys microchipped. The Veterinarian charged me around $50. I considered getting the other boy chipped but changed my mind. When the "Home Again" tracking company tried to hustle me for a yearly maintenance fee. That just ticked me off. If there's another tracking business available I might change my mind.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lived in the UK. The RSPCA and Cat Protection are charities, their prices are moderate. They are primarily interested in keeping the cat population down. They need to encourage people to neuter their animals so have no doubt decided not to do microchipping without neutering. A private vet in the UK is far more expensive but will not refuse just to microchip. Here in Germany, the price for microchipping is high (microchips in bulk cost next to nothing, although prices are rising). The vet's excuse: before microchipping the cat is always medically examined! We (a cat charity) buy our own chips for kittens and a vet is willing to insert them for a not too high fee.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When the "Home Again" tracking company tried to hustle me for a yearly maintenance fee. That just ticked me off. If there's another tracking business available I might change my mind.

You do not need the yearly membership subscription thing with any microchip company :) Just having your contact information in their database is completely free. There is a one time registration fee to get your cat's unique microchip number into their database and associated with all of your contact information. The subscription just offers extra services you can use if your pet becomes lost.

The Home Again FAQ (note what I bolded in purple):

How much does HomeAgain membership cost pet owners?
Following the first year of HomeAgain membership (which is regularly priced at $21.99 but may be offered at a discount through a HomeAgain vet clinic or shelter), pet owners will be able to maintain their exclusive member benefits by renewing their annual membership at a nominal cost of $21.99 per year.

Note: microchip registration is included with the first year of HomeAgain membership. Once registered, microchips remain in the HomeAgain database permanently and may be updated online at no charge anytime by logging into HomeAgain.com, regardless of annual membership status.

You can also call Customer Service to update your contact info. I tried the Home Again web site once but it kept asking to sign up for a paid membership in order to continue with updating my info :bat:

Read the FAQ page of any microchip company for all the details about paid memberships, etc.

Leroy was microchipped for free. The vet hospital was having a "free microchip with an annual exam" special.

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is insane. My shelter won't adopt out a cat until it has been neutered and microchipped, starting around 3 mos. There is no reason that yours can't have a chip. If your vet won't do it, there are clinics, traveling vets (mostly vaccines) in PetSmart, etc. Call around, they shouldn't be more than about $35-40.