They were getting along ... but now, not so much

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cast of characters involved--I have six indoor cats, in age order: Autumn (approximately 12.5 years old, calico DSH), TV (approximately 12 years old, DSH black and white tuxie girl), Cosy (approx 9yo tortie DSH), Jemmy (brown tabby boy) and Leo (orange tabby boy) who will both be 4yo in May, and Pandora (tortie point DLH) who will be 1yo in May. Autumn and TV were my intentional adoptions in 2014 from a rescue and are probably mother/daughter; Cosy "self-rescued" herself about 8 years ago, and I brought Jemmy and Leo indoors when they were about 6mo old, and Pandora came indoors last July. Everybody has been spayed/neutered (Pandora was last October, the boys were neutered right after I got them indoors).

So, Pandora started meeting everyone in late August/early September (stuff is a little fuzzy for me, because I had a really awful stretch there, where two of my prior adoptees--Circe who was 15.5 when she passed away at the end of June and Domino, who was likely littermate to TV lost his fight against GI lymphoma in mid September; plus my father died August 6). Pandora started meeting everyone before Domino's death, and everyone seemed to be getting along with her.

We've just finished the round of annual vet visits, and Cosy did have ear infections in both ears, the first med cleared it in one ear and then the second we got her cleared up in the other. But now she and Pandora are not getting along. Pandora hisses when Cosy comes around, Cosy will act aggressively toward Pandora (I've heard yowls, but no one seems to actually be hurt--the boys will come in like they intend to defend Pandora). Cosy kind of goes out of her way to go after Pandora, it's not like Pandora seemed to be doing anything other than existing in Cosy's view.

Is this because Pandora is moving out of being a kitten into being a cat? Is there likely something else going on?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all the other cats are getting along with each other, including Cosy and Pandora, and the only problem you are having is with the interactions between these two, it is likely to do with the ear infections/meds. Some cats sense illness in another cat, and also meds being given because either/both can change their scent.

As much as you seem to want to blame Cosy, it sounds like the problem started with Pandora hissing at Cosy, and all Cosy is doing now is reacting to that.

Unless there are other dynamics going on that you could share, I have no other ideas. Treat this as a non-recognition issue (due to the scent change), and act accordingly.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since this seems to have started with a vet visit, I'm thinking non-recognition aggression, as well, and it seems to be fairly low-key, as you report that it is entirely vocal. Rule of thumb, "If there is no blood/pee on the floor, and no clumps of fur flying, it is NOT a cat fight." Heated discussions can happen, even between closely bonded cats. Second rule of thumb, "Sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say." The article that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggessted is excellent!