they broke my La Creuset casserole!!!!!!!!!!

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you imagine, I schlepped that pot all the way back from France and it's been with me for years and years and it only takes a couple of unruly furry creatures and it's gone!!!!

I really can't understand how they did that... it's soooo heavy and I had it in one of the upper shelves where i thought it'd be safe... well so much for my thoughts... I was getting ready for work, heard that HORRIBLE noise and then my husband came in and showed me the broken lid... Yeah, well, we actually don't use it as I took it mainly for poultry, beef and fish and we don't eat that anymore - we're almost vegans - it's just cheese and butter we can't give up on... I'm going to put them all on hard bread and water until they tell me whodunit

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sympathies. I love my Le Creuset pots. All three were bought at an outlet so no fond memories of travels with my pots. Really though, do look for a replacement lid. I have one pot that's used to bake Mark Bittman's 18-hour rise no-knead bread, which is fabulous. And the sturdy cast iron pot is also a go-to for baked beans.

Years and years ago my rainbow bridge cat Fog jumped from the floor to the kitchen counter. From the counter to a shelf. From the shelf to the top of the wall cabinets. Strolled along and came upon this huge, magnificent, blue and white spatterware bowl that I had bought at a yard sale. (They just don't have yard sales like that any more.) It was used to make fruitcake. Decided to curl up in it. Bowl and cat came crashing to the floor, where bowl smashed to smithereens. Cat was fine. I was furious.

I just baked the first batch of this year's fruitcake, mixed in a huge, pale yellow Villeroy & Bosch bowl. It's big enough, but the flavor - even with Christmas music playing in the background - I'm convinced that the flavor is not quite the same.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love Mark Bittman's recipes but I've been baking my own weekly bread for years now - I might give his recipe a try though.

I was already willing to give up on a new pot as they are so expensive but your idea with the baked beans sounds great!!!

I'll see what I can find over here...  La Creuset pot,, spatterware bowl - whatever, we forgive them everything :)

Enjoy your Christmas baking!!!!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be in tears if that happened to mine. Tin foil to cover, I guess, until you find a lid. Try looking on classified web sites. I'm sure there's someone out there who has a broken pot and want to make a few bucks by selling the lid. Cats sure know what to pick.

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was so upset that i didn't even want to see it and my husband told me later that also the pot was cracked,,,

it was one of those older designs with a concave lid where you can add cold water  - it  condenses and drops on the food during the cooking process
 still around $300,--

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouiser, if you go to my web site (link at the bottom of any of my messages) then click on Garden Diary. Scroll down, down, down, and click on January 2007. Scroll around and among all the garden stuff there are two entries, one for the 18 hour no-knead bread and another for my rye bread variation. Both have pictures. Enjoy. And if you try it, PM me and let me know what you think.

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SITE!!!!

and all that great gardening!!! I love gardening and am told that

we have a very lovely garden... Our garden is small and the soil

isn't really good so most plants shrubs are all in containers.

After the heavy summer heat plants started to recover and I love

those colorful spots all over the place but then my felines aren't that

sensitive about them... when they have to chase a "trespasser" they

bulldozer through taking my lovely containers with them...

Thanks also for the recipes but I lived in Europe for many years

and "overdosed " on all sorts of dark bread...

I'm going in for eye surgery this morning and hope I won't need

a lab and a stick afterwards...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your soil can grow weeds, there are plants you can grow. Of course, plants in containers let you "fine tune" their growing conditions. And gardeners always want to grow plants that shouldn't thrive where they want to grow them.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. Here's hoping all goes well.

ouiser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I'm always kind of cautious but so far all went well and I'll be needing hopefully only reading glasses in about a month....

Now after the rain our soil grows all kinds of weeds but mainly clover. All those plants I moved to containers wouldn't thrive at all. Even one bougainvillea that needs hardly any care in this area, it  grows almost wild and unattended... had to be removed from the soil and in the container it started "even" blooming.... the area we live in is known for it's partly plant unfriendly soil... I admit that in the beginning I got carried away (we have 2 small flower stores across the street that always have a lovely variety of plants too) but I've learned my lesson since and now make sure I can offer my plants the conditions they need before I buy them...