They are driving me nuts

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I now have only 6 cats, all rescues, all around 13-14 years. Lately, they are just annoying me. They haven't changed, except becoming a bit scrappy because of having to be inside, but I am sick of being followed and being stared at, of demands for petting...I want maybe one hour a day to be by myself. The apartment has no doors, so I can't get away from them unless I leave.

I am getting older, too, (late 60's) and last year had an illness which left me partially disabled. I am thus isolated a lot, in some pain, spending a lot of time at hospital doing tests, doctors, treatments...taking pain killers. So I am under stress myself anyway and crave some peace.

It's not their fault at all, they are just being who and what they are. It's I who have changed, and I feel terribly guilty when I get testy with them just because I need alone time. I would actually re-home a couple, but older cats like this, not to mention kittens, are regularly killed and even tortured in this area, many abandoned...

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions would be so welcome.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems as if you are overwhelmed.  Rehoming them might be your best option.  Try to find some older people that are maybe lonely and looking for a pet (maybe two).  Trusts me, there are more out there than you think.  Post ads in vet offices or pet specialty stores or even a newspaper.  Just screen until you are confident they would be good people to them.  An older cat is a good match for older people because then they might not have to worry about leaving it behind if they pass.  It'll provide them a few good years of company, too.  So everyone wins.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to use a baby gate in lieu of a door for some privacy?